Lcarter114

Carburetor difference

I have a 2003 Recon 250es. (TE)  model.  I am trying to find the correct carburetor.  I have seen several different part numbers,  16100-HM8- A41, B41, B01, and B61?  What is the difference, and how to tell which one is correct?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Lcarter114 said:

I have a 2003 Recon 250es. (TE)  model.  I am trying to find the correct carburetor.  I have seen several different part numbers,  16100-HM8- A41, B41, B01, and B61?  What is the difference, and how to tell which one is correct?

Thanks

unless you are buying oem from honda ?, i would not buy anything else, unless its a used carb ?, then you face the trouble of matching the numbers. 16100-HM8-A41 is the correct part number that i found over on rocky mountain atv.

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

unless you are buying oem from honda ?, i would not buy anything else, unless its a used carb ?, then you face the trouble of matching the numbers. 16100-HM8-A41 is the correct part number that i found over on rocky mountain atv.

Edited by Lcarter114
Spelling

I am looking for OEM,  just when I checked Ebay there were some that said they would fit but the last two numbers were different.  I will probably just go with the A41 even though it is quite a bit more.  Thanks for the info Shadetree, you are the man.

25 minutes ago, Lcarter114 said:

I am looking for OEM,  just when I checked Ebay there were some that said they would fit but the last two numbers were different.  I will probably just go with the A41 even though it is quite a bit more.  Thanks for the info Shadetree, you are the man.

yeah..deff stay away from ebay carbs that sell cheaper, this is a red flag they are china carbs..china carbs are a hit or miss..most times miss..lol. you get what you pay for !.

• Like 1

I got this atv from a friend of mine for free.  It was his son's and they parked it 10 to 15 years ago because it wouldn't shift.  The code came back angle sensor, so I replaced that and pulled the shift motor, cleaned it up and greased it.  When I pulled the carb it was a mess.  I  tried soaking it in Gunk carb cleaner and rebuilding it but it will not idle regardless of what I do. If I hold the throttle part way open it will run.  I am thinking maybe there is more corrosion that I didn't get cleaned out.  I am hoping a new carb solves the problem.  I attached pictures of the carb when I removed it.  On the bright side it runs through all the gears now.

20231117_191225.jpg

20231117_184114.jpg

20231117_184055.jpg

20231117_184035.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lcarter114 said:

I got this atv from a friend of mine for free.  It was his son's and they parked it 10 to 15 years ago because it wouldn't shift.  The code came back angle sensor, so I replaced that and pulled the shift motor, cleaned it up and greased it.  When I pulled the carb it was a mess.  I  tried soaking it in Gunk carb cleaner and rebuilding it but it will not idle regardless of what I do. If I hold the throttle part way open it will run.  I am thinking maybe there is more corrosion that I didn't get cleaned out.  I am hoping a new carb solves the problem.  I attached pictures of the carb when I removed it.  On the bright side it runs through all the gears now.

20231117_191225.jpg

20231117_184114.jpg

20231117_184055.jpg

20231117_184035.jpg

idle jet is stopped up.

• Like 1

I bought a 300 with a Chinese carb on it.  Ran like Sh@#.  Took it to a friend that used to work at a Honda dealer.  He had me buy a used OEM carb on ebay and said condition did not matter.  It looked like the one you have there.  The more important part was he had me buy a $25 Japanese carb rebuild kit (Shindy) on ebay as well.  For $100 I basically have a new, OEM carb because all the internals are new.  It runs like its brand new.

15 hours ago, Lcarter114 said:

I will tear it down again and soak it all again.  I hope I can get it squared away but it was pretty nasty.

What are you soaking it in?  Berrymans is what I use, but I have an old bucket of it.  The EPA has really made a lot of stuff that used to work, not work anymore.   Not sure if Berryman's current offerings are good or not.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:25 AM, shadetree said:

yeah..deff stay away from ebay carbs that sell cheaper, this is a red flag they are china carbs..china carbs are a hit or miss..most times miss..lol. you get what you pay for !.

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

idle jet is stopped up.

15 hours ago, jcz said:

Probably that Bud Light watering it down.  Lol

No,no..can't afford to use the beer on the carb,  it is too expensive.  That may explain the assembly mistakes.....lol

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

What are you soaking it in?  Berrymans is what I use, but I have an old bucket of it.  The EPA has really made a lot of stuff that used to work, not work anymore.   Not sure if Berryman's current offerings are good or not.

I am soaking it in Gunk carb cleaner.  I know it has been around for at least several years.  It seemed to work pretty decent but I had to scrub some of the aluminum corrosion off.

2 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

I bought a 300 with a Chinese carb on it.  Ran like Sh@#.  Took it to a friend that used to work at a Honda dealer.  He had me buy a used OEM carb on ebay and said condition did not matter.  It looked like the one you have there.  The more important part was he had me buy a $25 Japanese carb rebuild kit (Shindy) on ebay as well.  For $100 I basically have a new, OEM carb because all the internals are new.  It runs like its brand new.

I got my rebuild kit from All Balls Racing. I have some weld tip cleaners that maybe small enough to try clean all the jets ago.

3 hours ago, Lcarter114 said:

I got my rebuild kit from All Balls Racing. I have some weld tip cleaners that maybe small enough to try clean all the jets ago.

i use one wire from a wire brush, these work great, and will not distort the jet holes !. torch tip cleaners are too large..if you use the wrong tip size ?, you will ruin the jet holes !. if you are going to use gum out carb cleaner in a can ?..DO NOT SPRAY THE CARB IF ANY RUBBER PARTS ARE ON/IN THE CARB !!!. it will melt them !!..lol.

• Like 1

Just got done cleaning it again.  All the needle valves are new.  I assume the one with the plastic piece on it is the idle valve.  It did have some clogged holes.  Cleaned them all and put it back together.  Still have the same problem.  It will run and sounds good, but if I don't keep a little pressure on the throttle it dies.  It seems like none of the adjustments to the carburetor make any difference.  I started with both set at 2 turns out but no matter what adjustments I make it runs the same.  The motor never changes rpm or misses or anything.  The rebuild kit did not come with an idle adjustment screw but I don't think that would make a difference.

This is the carb that should be on the machine.

2002-2004 Honda TRX250TM/TE

2003_Honda_TRX250TM_223_cycles_jpg

Brand Keihin
Identification Mark PDC1E
Type Piston valve
Throttle Bore 20 mm (0.8 in)
Main Jet #95
Pilot Jet/Slow Jet #38
Jet Needle Clip Position 2nd Groove
Pilot Screw Adjustment 2 turns out
Float Level 14 mm (0.6 in)
Engine Idle 1400 RPM

• Thanks for info.  It is good to know the settings.  I ended getting a new one from the local dealer.  I still have the old one I am going to try to go thru and see why it won't idle.  I dropped the throttle valve set and broke the plastic clip, so I have to order that also.
  • Like 1