1960’s Start

2005 TRX350ES Fan Issue

Ok, the fan and oil light would not come on. I straight wired the fan, it runs… I made sure the temp sensor was connected. I’ve replaced the ICU twice (2 different ones) and as soon as I turn the key on the oil light comes on and the fan does also. The light will not go out and the fan runs always. Not suppose to do that. What do I have going on please…I can close this job if I can get this issue solved. 
thank you

YES, to your question..if it's bad one way the fan will never run, if it's bad another way it'll run all the time..have a good day..

Thank you so much for yr advise. I’d about come to that conclusion myself. Process of elimination had led me to that. I ordered one from Amazon and this is what I got. It said it was a replacement for the sensor but it won’t fit. This is the only sensor I can find around the location. What’s wrong…??

IMG_2092.jpeg

56 minutes ago, 1960’s Start said:

Thank you so much for yr advise. I’d about come to that conclusion myself. Process of elimination had led me to that. I ordered one from Amazon and this is what I got. It said it was a replacement for the sensor but it won’t fit. This is the only sensor I can find around the location. What’s wrong…??

IMG_2092.jpeg

Amazon part is wrong.

Replace with a honda temp sensor. Not a cheap Chinese one.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 1960’s Start said:

IMG_2092.jpeg

Does the fan run and temp light stay on with the sensor unplugged? 

Might be able to get a used OEM unit on ebay if you nose around. 

15 hours ago, TBRider said:

Amazon part is wrong.

Replace with a honda temp sensor. Not a cheap Chinese one.

Welcome back @TBRider!  Long time, no see.   Glad to see you're still kicking!

• Like 1

Ok, the pic I sent was of the neutral safety switch. After removing the foot panel and digging all the greas and dirt out I found the right sensor. Paid almost $70 to get a Honda sensor and not the fan doesn’t come on but the red oil light doesn’t come on either and then go off like it’s suppose to. I kn the bulb is good cause when I had it wired the other way the fan and light would come on together…. Please help me …!! I’m tired of working on this thing

1 hour ago, 1960’s Start said:

IMG_2218.jpeg

If you take the wire off the sensor, and touch the connector on the end of the wire to the engine, does the fan and oil temp light come on?

17 hours ago, 1960’s Start said:

Yes it does… both fan and light come on🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

bad sensor..??

If the fan and light come on with the wire grounded everything in the wiring/ control unit/ fan  is working as it should.

These things have to get pretty darn hot for the fan to kick on.   This time of year, when it's cool out, my air cooled machines rarely have the fan come on.

Have you run your wheeler enough to think it was too hot, with the fan not coming on?

If you used a new OEM sensor it's probably fine, just hasn't gotten warm enough to kick the fan on.

I ran this bike after building top end and let head temp get to about 230-250 (infrared red temp gun) before I shut it down. That’s when I started exploring fan and light…. I’ll run it again today, what should head temp get to for fan to kick in…?? Not in repair manual….!!

56 minutes ago, 1960’s Start said:

I ran this bike after building top end and let head temp get to about 230-250 (infrared red temp gun) before I shut it down. That’s when I started exploring fan and light…. I’ll run it again today, what should head temp get to for fan to kick in…?? Not in repair manual….!!

It's not the head temp, it's the oil temp.  

For example, I had a TRX500 with a bad oil pump, fan/temp light never came on, because the oil the bottom end wasn't hot, but the top end got smoked and was hot as fire!

If you want to check your oil temp sensor, I found this old thread where @Goober showed how to do it.

And glad to help!  I've gotten a lot of help here and like to pay it forward when I can.