Dastevoe

2009 TRX420ES won't shift

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I have a 2009 TRX420ES with 1500kms on it and it has recently developed a shifting issue. When I try to shift from N to 1st all it does is "click" at the transmission as it is trying to go into gear. It will shift into reverse but not up. If I feather the throttle and try to shift at the same time sometimes it will engage and can drive normally (or so I think). Is this a angle sensor issue ?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Dastevoe
wrong info.

5 hours ago, Dastevoe said:

Hey guys, I have a 2009 TRX420ES with 1500kms on it and it has recently developed a shifting issue. When I try to shift from N to 1st all it does is "click" at the transmission as it is trying to go into gear. It will shift into reverse but not up. If I feather the throttle and try to shift at the same time sometimes it will engage and can drive normally (or so I think). Is this a angle sensor issue ?

Thanks

Steve

it could be the angle sensor ?, it also can be a bad shift motor ?, i've seen these problems alot. i have even seen the shift motor magnets come apart inside the shift motor. last but not least..you may have a loose bolt on the end of the shift drum ?. only way to get to this is remove the front cover.

Another thing also to look is the battery condition. Weak batt they wont shift as easy. How old is the engine oil?

Battery load test was good + full charge. Have not adjusted clutch. I ordered an O.E.M. angle sensor But will look up how to adjust clutch before installing sensor.

Steve

15 hours ago, Dastevoe said:

Battery load test was good + full charge. Have not adjusted clutch. I ordered an O.E.M. angle sensor But will look up how to adjust clutch before installing sensor.

Steve

If it's an angle sensor, should be throwing a code.   Are you getting any blinking lights or gear position on the meter?

No blinking lights, shows "N" but just "clicks" at transmission as it tries to shift into gear. If I slowly roll the machine and shift it will pop into gear with engine off or running.

Steve

Sounds like a low battery, out of adjustment clutch, or shift motor going south.

Don't put that new angle sensor on it yet. 

First thing you need to do is the battery.  Clean connections and top the battery off.

Then try adjusting the clutch.  Nut on the front cover.  Loosen it, then turn the screw in the middle counter-closckwise till you feel resistance, then back to the right 1/4 turn and lock the nut back down.   If the adjustment screw doesn't turn easily, it might be seized.  Don't force it, just leave it for now and come back to it.

Here's Retro's ES thread.   Your shift motor might be going south, or it could just be gunk in the gears under the shift motor.   If you do replace the motor, OEM only, even if you buy used.  No aftermarket crap.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, just picked up the angle sensor and haven't installed yet. Can't seem to find the clutch adjustment nut. Going to check out link you posted 
Thanks

Edited by Dastevoe
additional comments

30 minutes ago, Dastevoe said:

Thanks, just picked up the angle sensor and haven't installed yet. Can't seem to find the clutch adjustment nut. Going to check out link you posted 
Thanks

the adjustment nut is on the front cover, 14mm.

Well I put the sensor on and still just "clicks" trying to shift. Pulled the front shift motor & cleaned gearing (looked good not really gummed up), added light weight lithium grease.

Now I've created another problem (as per usual when I tear stuff apart),when removing shift motor I mistakenly took out the socket head screws as well as the hex heads and when I pulled on the motor disengaged the stator (?) and now have to figure out how to reassemble. How can I keep the brushes in place when sliding stator back in ?? YIKES !!

BTW..... the shop has a policy of no electrical returns so that's why I put it on anyway. Package wasn't even opened 🤬

Also as far as clutch adjustment there is no adjusting screw, shift valve body is where adjuster should/would be. Am I missing something ?

Steve

Edited by Dastevoe

Seems it was the motor !! I got it back together thanks to the great link shared above. It shifts as it should now. Thanks for all the assistance

Steve  

4 hours ago, Dastevoe said:

Well I put the sensor on and still just "clicks" trying to shift. Pulled the front shift motor & cleaned gearing (looked good not really gummed up), added light weight lithium grease.

Now I've created another problem (as per usual when I tear stuff apart),when removing shift motor I mistakenly took out the socket head screws as well as the hex heads and when I pulled on the motor disengaged the stator (?) and now have to figure out how to reassemble. How can I keep the brushes in place when sliding stator back in ?? YIKES !!

BTW..... the shop has a policy of no electrical returns so that's why I put it on anyway. Package wasn't even opened 🤬

Also as far as clutch adjustment there is no adjusting screw, shift valve body is where adjuster should/would be. Am I missing something ?

Steve

sounds like you have a DCT and not an ES. Auto mode?

The DCTs do not have a clutch adjustment screw.

glad you got it fixed though! @retros little tutorial has helped a lot of folks out

Dual Clutch Transmission

https://www.atvrider.com/story/news/honda-dct-gearbox-explained/

The ES is the same as a footshift, except there is a shift motor that manually turns the shift shaft to change gears, vs a foot lever.

The DCT is a lot more complicated, has two clutches, one for R, 2,4, and the other for 1,3,5.   The DCT's have more seamless shifting, but again, much more complicated.  They also have an Auto mode, where the computer uses readings from speed sensor, throttle position sesnsor, and who knows what else to shift the machine for you as an automatic transmission.

The DCT does have a shift motor though, and even in auto mode, that shift motor is constantly upshifting and downshifting, so they do wear out.  Glad you got it fixed!

• Like 1