struthers

2007 Honda Foreman 500Fe no spark

Posted (edited)

Hello, I have 2007 honda foreman 500fe es and is not wanting to produce a spark. I have tried to use 2 different stators to no success, I've checked both after I got done installing since I have a manual for peak voltage, both only show a maximum peak voltage of .6 instead of the recommended .7 minimum. Could someone help send me in the right direction further? Could the magneto flywheel be going bad? I did see some pitting and rust on it when replacing stator, someone has monkeyed with this atv before. My yellow wires at my stator all read .4 ohms from each other, i was reading somewhere that the regulator rectifier could be the issue but I would of never though it would, I've tinkered with other atvs before just not alot of Hondas any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by struthers

5 hours ago, struthers said:

Little update I tried a ecm that I know is good and still no change.

electronics for newer atv's are a royal pain, not much of my cup of tea, i'm old school for the most part. but what i can tell you is, is to check a few things to rule out. reg/rec can stop it from sparking, so can the flywheel, so can the stator, so can the pickup coil, so can a short in the wire harness, so can a bad '' kill '' switch. do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on ?. that model should be fuel injection if i am not mistaken?. most important , is the neutral light coming on when you turn key on ?. if there is no neutral light ?, it will never fire the spark plug. also, i think that model has a bank angel sensor as well ?, these bank angel sensors cut fuel off if they get turned over , or upside down ?, in this case, it will stop fire to spark plug as well.

• Like 1

kill switch got me more then once at 1st on the 2000 foreman.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@shadetree Thanks for the response, when you say kill switch you mean the one the handle bars with the push button shifters right? Also this model doesn't have a fuel pump, neutral light is visible and coming on when the key switch is turned on.

Edited by struthers
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Something to note that it was sparking before I replaced the first stator just still wouldn't start, that's why I checked the stator and it didn't meet the manuals specifications for peak voltage. My assumptions is that it would have been the issue.

Edited by struthers

17 hours ago, struthers said:

@shadetree Thanks for the response, when you say kill switch you mean the one the handle bars with the push button shifters right? Also this model doesn't have a fuel pump, neutral light is visible and coming on when the key switch is turned on.

yes, switch on left side of bars.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, struthers said:

Something to note that it was sparking before I replaced the first stator just still wouldn't start, that's why I checked the stator and it didn't meet the manuals specifications for peak voltage. My assumptions is that it would have been the issue.

where are you getting the replacment parts ?..amazon ?, ebay ?. i can tell you this, honda does NOT like china after market parts !. either used ( powersportsnation ) ?, or new from honda. anytime you replace stators ?, the flywheels must match ( stator and flywheels are a matched pair from factory ). multi-meter can tell you if the kill switch is working or not ?, it works just like a light switch, but the other way around. when in center, it keeps the engine from being ungrounded, when you flip the switch left or right ?, you ground the spark plug coil.

• Like 1

@shadetreeThis stator that is in it now is an OEM stator from Honda, I'll have to test the kill switch that would make sense if i seen spark and now im not.

• Like 1

@shadetree okay here are my testing results.

At the battery I'm getting 12.4 volts.

At the switch in the run position I am getting 11.36 volts, on both to the left and right side of the run switch I'm getting no voltage. So the switch is working right? Should the voltage be that much lower than the battery?

i cant say i remember what the coil reads ohm wise, but it is worth finding out. a simple test, to read a coil. my coil read 0 ohms. i got a new one i got to pick up from a dealer, close by..

I'm late to the party.

So let's go back to the beginning please!

You had spark, but replaced the stator?   What prompted the parts swap?

I just saw "had spark before" so my way of troubleshooting leads me back to that spot in time.

@jeepwm69 Okay yes I had spark before but the atv wouldn't start still getting gas and had compression just still wouldn't start. So I have the manual and it says that the peak voltage, of the pickup coil or source coil whatever it calls it, is supposed to be .7 minimum volts and I was getting a reading of .6 maximum volts, so that's why I assumed that was bad.

Well, I kinda stink at stuff like this.   We have a few guys who are really good at this type of troubleshooting, but this is the time of year they aren't posting much because they're the "gotta get stuff down outdoors while I can" types.

@Melatv and @retro.   @AKATV are all pretty handy on the electrical side of things.  I'm more a "hit it with a hammer till it works" type.

If you had gas, compression, and spark, should have started unless it was out of time.   Have you had the rig running, or did you buy it not running?

@jeepwm69 Any help is appreciated trust me haha. No it has never ran since I've had it I bought it not running but I do know it is in time because I went down that road already. Cam looked good push rods look good and lifters look good.

15 hours ago, struthers said:

@jeepwm69 Just replaced the regulator rectifier and still no spark.

then this leaves the stator, pick up coil, flywheel , and c.d.i. . worse case..wire harness is bad. these things are not that hard to work on..but a royal pain to trace electronics..lol.

Posted (edited)

Got to messing with the tps sensor and it was out of spec and I reclocked it and it now has spark but still it acts like it wants to start but dies within a million second of when starting, I don't have the air cleaner hooked up because I'm waiting on a part for it. Could that be the issue it just being to lean? @shadetree @jeepwm69 @LedFTed

Edited by struthers

3 hours ago, struthers said:

Got to messing with the tps sensor and it was out of spec and I reclocked it and it now has spark but still it acts like it wants to start but dies within a million second of when starting, I don't have the air cleaner hooked up because I'm waiting on a part for it. Could that be the issue it just being to lean? @shadetree @jeepwm69 @LedFTed

being lean won't cause it to not start and run, lack of fuel will though.

@shadetree well I don't really know that it's lean, maybe I can a post a video later with me trying to start it so you can see what I mean

• Like 1