AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Welcome to the forum!
I will send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV

you keep rather busy at this. did a great job on mine and the last time i looked, it was still working. i got the electric off at the moment, replacing the wiring harness and such. atv has been out in the weather sitting idle since winter 2016. i had a shop do some work on it, because i couldnt at the time, and they did poor work to say the least. i told them there was a vacuum leak before the carb, i had found, when they picked it up. they were taking it in for something else. the oil filter was put on, with part of the rubber o-ring sticking out at the bottom, hence an oil leak. i told them i want to put SAE10w-30 pennzoil in it, which is the type of oil the book calls for in this wet clutch application, and he said "the clutch would start slipping". and it did, but the clutch adjustment bolt, had the dirt knocked off plus, the bolt had the top of the 6 points, bent/moved a bit where a tool was not used properly. a small washer was missing, on the adjustment screw, at bottom of carb, where it was rebuilt. a copper wire, used for holding the gas tank, was cut, then he took out the two mount screws out anyway, and lost them. there is more, but you get the idea.

anyway, i put i piece of black plastic 1mm thick over the screen/ headlight unit, a wool cap,,  and last i looked it is still working. i have been thinking of a way to design a cover, to flip or take off, so if you got to leave your machine out in the sun the screen wont get damaged.

• Like 1

It’s definitely good to keep them out of the sun but normal use is not an an issue. It’s generally when they get left out of deer camp all year long uncovered in the Texas and Louisiana type heat- it turns the little clear plastic covers into a mini oven and just bakes that LCD.

I’ve seen some that literally look like they’ve had a blowtorch taken to them

You want to be careful using automotive oils on these wet clutches- if the back of the jug says energy conserving, it means it’s additional additives in there that will make your clutch slip eventually -I think it’s zinc?

I usually run 10W40 

-AKATV

21 hours ago, AKATV said:

It’s definitely good to keep them out of the sun but normal use is not an an issue. It’s generally when they get left out of deer camp all year long uncovered in the Texas and Louisiana type heat- it turns the little clear plastic covers into a mini oven and just bakes that LCD.

I’ve seen some that literally look like they’ve had a blowtorch taken to them

You want to be careful using automotive oils on these wet clutches- if the back of the jug says energy conserving, it means it’s additional additives in there that will make your clutch slip eventually -I think it’s zinc?

I usually run 10W40 

-AKATV

JASO MA is what Honda says to use.  Lots of motorcycle oil out there, but white or blue jug Rotella both are JASO MA rated, available everywhere, and work great.

I have project bikes scattered all over the yard.   I usually throw a rag/ seat/ cover over the meters on projects I know are going to sit awhile.   I'm starting to see more and more burned 05-11 Foreman and 420 Rancher meters around here.  I guess they are at least 13-14 years old now, and if they've sat out since new, they're gonna be burned.  

On 3/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, AKATV said:

I just finished repairing a speedometer display with heavy sun UV burnout for our member LedFTed this morning

I wanted to show results of UV damage repair, other than the reprogramming that I do

Before and after pics below-

my phone reflection in 2nd picture- not screen defect .....😊

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

What is the cost and how do I get mind to you 

Welcome to the forum

I have sent my contact information to your message box. Costs vary depending upon individual repair work and parts that are needed to complete the job

-AKATV 

New member. 
have enjoyed reading about the repairs done by AKATV. 

How can I get his contact info?

Welcome to the forum

I will send my contact information to your message box right now

-AKATV

If you would like to contact me for a repair, you can text me at 907-841-1031

-Ron

(AKATV)