AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

42 minutes ago, JDATV said:

Got 98 Foreman 450 ES.  Boys in the shop have narrowed it down to this issue.  They have no idea how to fix it.  If I get my rig back, I can send the assembly to you and that’s what you do?  Sign me up please.  Been without my machine for 3 months.

When he did my meter it took less than a week, including shipping both ways to Alaska!

On 8/23/2020 at 1:14 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

hi, 04Foreman450... welcome aboard! ... as AKATV stated (a few post up  ^^^ ) ... you have to get a post under your belt before you can use the forums messaging option 🙂 ... as for how many ... I'm not sure ... I'd say

Welcome to the forum!

I did receive your message and I’ve sent you my contact information
Hope to see you around the forum

-AKATV 

• Like 1

Akatv I got this car by seeing someone post in a fb Group a link to this thread on this forum… made an account to request ur info.

email me at [email protected] with details… for an 02 rancher 350es 4x4 that needs the screen rebuilt. TIA!

Hi and a big welcome to the forum!

If you could post a picture or two, its a big help in seeing what’s going on and needs to be repaired 

I will send my.contact information to your message box

-AKATV

Welcome to the forum!

What model is your ATV?

Post a few pictures of it powered up if

you can, with headlights on so display is illuminated 

I will send contact information to your message box as well

-AKATV

Hello. I too have combination meter issues. 2001 Rubicon 500 4x4. This meter will work properly with the ignition ON , unplug the meter, and plug back in. Works fine till you shut the ignition OFF.  Then the procedure must be repeated. Is this something anyone else has experienced? As seen in pictures, it has been dinged.

IMG_20231116_095639436.jpg

IMG_20231116_095830564.jpg

IMG_20231116_101709460~2.jpg

I guess I should elaborate. With the meter blank (it is backlit) the shifting is all crazy or won't shift at all. I'm assuming the ECU needs input from the meter to process shifting capabilities ?  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I  repair a lot of these,

The first thing you want to start with looking at with that big crack on the back plate, is to take the top cover off and make sure you don’t have any water damages inside

The next thing is you want to check for proper voltages at the circuit card

You want to make sure that you have 12 V on the red/black wire and the brown/black wire with the key on -the red/black wire is constant power for your clock and CPU, the brown/black wire is your key on power for the CPU

use the green wire for negative ground

The speed signal is routed through the speedometer to the ECU and If the ECU does not get the proper speed signals, it will shut down shifting by design for safety

I will send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to contact me for an evaluation or repair

I recently helped evaluate one that was in the shop yesterday- was this yours by chance?

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Yes, it can be repaired but unfortunately you have to replace the whole LCD assembly

The black spots on the foreman 450 S foot shift. LCDs were kind of a common failure

I can repair it for you if you want, I would have to source the parts to replace the assembly

-AKATV

19 hours ago, AKATV said:

Yes, it can be repaired but unfortunately you have to replace the whole LCD assembly

The black spots on the foreman 450 S foot shift. LCDs were kind of a common failure

I can repair it for you if you want, I would have to source the parts to replace the assembly

-AKATV

I've got a rancher 350 and a foreman 450 with broken displays. Both had the lens cracked and now wont display anything, the rancher wont even light up. Can you PM on a price to repair them?

Welcome to the forum!

The problem with cracked lenses is it usually lets these things get full of water and completely destroys everything inside, but Its hard to tell without seeing everything first

Post a few pictures or send them to my contact information in your message box

I’ll send  contact information to your message box now

-AKATV

AKATV Hi! I am in Uk. 2004 Foreman 450s. Everything works absolutely fine apart from reading in km's instead of miles. Can you sort this? Dave

Hi Dave

It could be one of two things,

Your data might have been corrupted and switched over to KMPH, usually, though when this happens, your numbers become astronomically, high or low, or revert to all nines or zeros and sometimes you will lose the gear position indicator

If it is corrupted, it can be reprogrammed to read properly

OR- you could have a metric model speedometer

I see them a lot in Canada, wasn’t sure if the UK used all metric on their speedometers as well, but that could also be the case

-AKATV

AKTV

Would make sense as I see both KMPH and MPH clocks listed. Although unavailable. Everything else reads and works absolutely fine. Thanks!

Sure, you’re very welcome
Don’t forget to stop in and say hi to everyone in the new member area and if you can use a Honda Factory service manual for your machine, we have a great digital library where you can download one for free. It’s super handy to have on hand especially if you do your own work. 

I hope to see you around the forum

-AKATV

I have a 2000 TRX350FE that I have owned since it was new. I actually worked at the factory in Marysville where they were made at the time. My display looks like many I have seen on here that AKATV has repaired. Since a replacement is not an option without taking a chance on salvage, I was hoping the repair was still available?

Welcome to the forum!

I should be able to get you taken care of no problem. A few pictures would be quite helpful in determining what repairs you actually need.

If you could post a few pictures with IT powered up AND your headlights turned on so the back light is illuminated, that would be helpful as well as a few details about what you actually have going on
I will send my contact information to your message box.

Hope to see you around the forum

-AKATV

The LED portion of the display is growing increasingly faded from the center of the unit moving outward toward the edges. Depending on the angle, you can still see that the info is there but viewing straight on is the worst. The problem gets even worse when the backlight is on.

20240413_203723 (1).jpg

20240413_203742.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, it really does help a lot.

Your fading is just standard aging and UV/Sun damage to the polarization films over 20+ years.
It can be repaired though, and I have sent my contact information to your message box if you would like to look into a repair.

-AKATV 

Hi AKATV,

Sound like you still might be doing repairs.  I have a ‘98 Foreman 450.  Here are the screen pics.  Is this something you can repair?  Thanks!

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3700.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting pictures. It really helps to see what you have going on.

Looks like you might have an extremely sun damaged LCD, but I can repair that if you need it

The part that concerns me is there looks like a little bit of condensation residue inside the meter

You might wanna pop that top cover off and make sure you don’t have water damages because that

usually destroys the circuit card to the point of no repair

The top cover looks pretty good though, so you might not have any water in there at all just want to make sure

I will send my contact information to your message box right now

-AKATV