Big Bird

2006 Foreman ES shifting issues

So. I had to move my quad out of the garage. Fired up fine in N. Shifted into first no problem and took it up the road. UP shift was fine but would not down shift well. It took several times to get it back into 1st gear. I can hear noise when trying to down shift but still shows and it is stuck in 5th. Up shift seems OK. It was also hard or would not go into reverse.Again I hear noise when the button is pressed but nothing changes on the display. Is this the thick grease stuff that needs to be cleaned in the shifter actuator? I am not sure of all the years etc. Is my setup only 2006-2007? I dont have the shifter tool but all gears are ok. Battery is brand new and charged and is charging when running. I just got it so don't know much about it. 🙂

Thanks for any input on this. It is a bit cool here 0C/32F.

I'll pull the shift motor and see what things look like in those gears.  Probably thick grease in there.

15 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'll pull the shift motor and see what things look like in those gears.  Probably thick grease in there.

whoa bro..don't tell him to pull shift MOTOR !...lol. ( at least not in pieces ),

big bird, pull the transfer shifting gear cover at front of motor, yes..you need to pull the shifting  motor out, but not in pieces !..lol. once the cover is off, then you will see the transfer gears right behind the cover.

Is it flashing any codes? Speedometer working correctly? If so then I would start with checking the shift reduction gears and possibly pulling the shift motor apart and cleaning it. Usually when it's just a down shift it's an angle sensor (should be throwing a code) or the shift button (you won't hear it trying though).

• Like 1

I cleaned a shift motor then other day on a 420. Motors are different yet still the same (yours has different springs pushing the brushes out). I had a few pics so I thought I would share them just in case you try a cleaning (helps to see internals). You can see one of the brushes was sticking in this one. Some helping hands (tools) help when reassembling to hold the brushes out. I lightly lock the tooth part in the vise or with vise grips when installing the housing with the magnets.  

20200309_115236.jpg

20200309_131800.jpg

20200309_132015.jpg

• Like 2

Stuck brushes due to rust are common in shift motors and starter motors. I use alligator clips to hold the brushes back since I have a lot different sized ones in my bins. As @toodeep advised, either clamp the armature shaft in a vise lightly, or hang onto it tight, cause when ya lower the magnets housing down those magnets will pull the armature loose and your brush springs may fly away under your bench somewhere. Don't forget to grease the bearing and bushing good.