Fishfiles

Fixing Equipment

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i could put good use to that track hoe fish had a while back, fish what model was that one, i can't find it in the old forums. 

That was a Takeuchi TB 015 , it was a 3,300 pound machine --- talk with the guy that bought it and he is loving it , never had any problems yet 

IMG_8454.JPG

• Like 3

Yea , I am a little sorry I let it go , sometimes , but , I am sure I would have been heavily pressured to  lending it out and doing jobs for free for friends and relatives that wouldn't have ended good 

This is what I worked on today , need to sweep your driveway 

fullsizeoutput_d84.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am sure I would have been heavily pressured to  lending it out and doing jobs for free for friends and relatives that wouldn't have ended good 

oh yes, I've been there before lol, never again, i reckon i would have sold it too. 

• Like 1

Worked on a Kubota svl90-2yesterday   These are junk as far as I am concerned.  I hate them. And I usually like Kubota products. Very mechanic unfriendly.  Just simple things like oil and filter change is hard.  Putting 3 gallons of oil in the engine is ridiculous with the exhaust filter right over the valve cover fill.    In fact everything I have even done on the svl90-2 has been hard.  Have done a few starters , air conditioning compressor and hose.  Changed glass.  Rebuilt cylinders. Foot throttle is crappy made.  Changed the ignition switch about 4 times on them and are hard to get out and ridiculous in price.   Track adjusters rusted solid and had to replace both sides as you couldn’t adjust tracks they cost $600 each. Changed many bottom rollers. They got Tier 4 engine problems that the dealer can’t solve.   There isn’t much that has not broke. This machine has 1469 hours and to me it is ready to go to auction.  I would never own one.  when it is running it will work.  Keeping it running is expensive.  Nor would I own a new Korean doosan bobcat.   Takeuchi is the best track loader out there right now. 

FE824BE2-F639-455B-9BA7-3CAA57096121.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

only 1469  hours ? wow! that does speek volumes, i reckon the same  ruse got them, and all the farm equiptment basically over price pure push button choked engines junk. 

• Like 1

kind of  sad to see the quality of equipment, go down hill over the years, and so over priced, same with cheep china junk parts and tires, there used to be some great shops for semi repair in columbia, which have now closed, and my wrench guy at ace quit because of all the new small engine issues, he told me hang on to that old stuff as long as you can! and the local tri green dealer basically does deer mowers, and just sells the major Larg equitment, takes forever to get anything on those larger machines something big goes wrong, their  traded in, and some other farmer has to deal with the issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Worked on a Kubota svl90-2yesterday   These are junk as far as I am concerned.  I hate them. And I usually like Kubota products. Very mechanic unfriendly.  Just simple things like oil and filter change is hard.  Putting 3 gallons of oil in the engine is ridiculous with the exhaust filter right over the valve cover fill.    In fact everything I have even done on the svl90-2 has been hard.  Have done a few starters , air conditioning compressor and hose.  Changed glass.  Rebuilt cylinders. Foot throttle is crappy made.  Changed the ignition switch about 4 times on them and are hard to get out and ridiculous in price.   Track adjusters rusted solid and had to replace both sides as you couldn’t adjust tracks they cost $600 each. Changed many bottom rollers. They got Tier 4 engine problems that the dealer can’t solve.   There isn’t much that has not broke. This machine has 1469 hours and to me it is ready to go to auction.  I would never own one.  when it is running it will work.  Keeping it running is expensive.  Nor would I own a new Korean doosan bobcat.   Takeuchi is the best track loader out there right now. 

FE824BE2-F639-455B-9BA7-3CAA57096121.jpeg

We used to rent a bobcat with a big bucket on it to clean out the grain tanks (wheels, not tracks).  I was early 20's then, and it was fun to drive...for awhile.

Cleaning the wheat out of the big tanks in June in Arkansas wasn't fun for long.  I remember my boss coming out and saying "Come on out.  You need to make sure that Bobcat doesn't get too hot!".  LOL.  He didn't give a ! if I had heatstroke, as long as the rental Bobcat wasn't hurt.

• Like 2

you were lucky, i had a shovel, and floor auger grain sweep. lol, that was one job i didn't care too much for! bout like in a dust filled oven. 

On 11/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

you were lucky, i had a shovel, and floor auger grain sweep. lol, that was one job i didn't care too much for! bout like in a dust filled oven. 

Oh we did it that way most of the time.  We had two huge tanks that we used the bobcat in.  Probably 50 yards wide.   Still had to use scoops along the sides of the tank to get it out away from the walls. 

The rest of the tanks we had to clean out with scoops and brooms.  Milo was the worst.  I HATED cleaning out the Milo tanks.

That granary was built in the 30's-50's, so everything up there was ancient and dangerous.  We didn't even have fans at the dumps, so when a truck dumped, you just got inundated with a cloud of dust and couldn't see 6 inches until the dust cloud dissipated.  Since the stuff was all per-regulation, it was all grandfathered in. 

• Like 1

i sure do recall those days, we had a grainery in columbia with over head gravity bens, i have no idea when the setup was built but it had to be old, the legs to the defrent over bens had to hand swopped, from up top i told my father we needed to update, the switching valves, but he always said i don't have to spend money as long as you to climb lol, that setup was 24,000 bushel, the other two flat floor bens were 7,000 bushel, and miles out of columbia, we had another that 12,000 bushel, no telling how much grain i shoveled back in those Days but the over head bens, i could load a hopper trailer, in just a few minutes, the floor bens , oh, I'd say a couple hours, after loading, i was happy climbing into the seat of that semi, and heading to cullman, or Decatur, nothing to do but shift gears, and look down at the ladies in those cars, haha! 

• Haha 1

Yeah we had two "loadout" hopper bottom bins, and we'd keep the the leg running out of the flatbottom tanks to try to keep the loadout tanks ready to load. 

I did a lot of climbing back then.  I drew the line on sliding down a downpipe from the leg to a tank.  When one of those pipes got worn, we'd hire a crane, have them come and someone would have to slide down the pipe, hook the crane to it, and then slide on down to the tank.  A welder would cut the top and bottom of the pipe loose, and the crane would swing it out of the way.  Then the crane would put the new pipe up, welder would weld the ends in place, and then someone had to slide down the new pipe and unhook the crane.

I did it once, hooking the crane to the old pipe.  When it came time to unhook the crane, the boss said "alright, slide down that thing and unhook the crane" and I said "Nope, not for $6.50 an hour"  Man he got ticked !

• Like 1

haha! too funny, did y'all have and flash dust fires when the welding was being done ? i never did any  leg pipe sliding, but the ladders up top were sketchy as all get out, i do recall making a rope ladder to lower myself into one tank, told my pop after that deal never again, it had no door at the bottom, told him it we use this tank again there has to be a man hole cut in! it was an old steal standup  tank with a slanted sodid floor, not the screen type for drying grain, 

Never had a fire, but was warned about them. 

Halfway between home and memphis there was a line of tanks off the highway.  They were all flat tops except for one, which was domed.  Apparently someone was smoking around that one when it was full of dust and it blew.  Swelled the top of the tank up like an upside down U.

• Like 1

wow! , the only time we had one was when welding was being done on a friends 7720, the whole back on the combine just flashed over, thankfully we right within a fire department after that, i made sure i had water hand pump sprayers, which did in fact get used! on ours had been out shelling beans racing a bad weather storm moving in, so no real time but grease the combine, give it a once over, but we never had time use the air gun, or leaf blower to blow off the built up dust, and low and behold , dust around the exhaust blazed up, water sprayer took care of it before it spread to engine floor pan. 

I learned something yesterday , LinkBelt 160X3 wouldn't auto throttle up when the travel levers were pull , which also wouldn't stroke the pump for fluid flow , so the travel was dead until you activated one of the other functions , then it traveled fine till you stop , when you tried to move it was dead again till you activates anther function for a split second , there are 8 sensors on the control valve to activate the throttle and pump , you can't see the one I had to change in the pic , it is on the bottom right tucked in behind all the pilot hoses next to the steel tubes , have to take off 7 hoses to get at it , getting it unplugged was extremely hard , $154 for each of the 8 sensors 

GKZdHSnxTIGcc6%Bde0t1w.jpg

W8MVRGhPSUOoFngtCVB8mg.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 7:54 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

kind of  sad to see the quality of equipment, go down hill over the years, and so over priced, same with cheep china junk parts and tires, there used to be some great shops for semi repair in columbia, which have now closed, and my wrench guy at ace quit because of all the new small engine issues, he told me hang on to that old stuff as long as you can! and the local tri green dealer basically does deer mowers, and just sells the major Larg equitment, takes forever to get anything on those larger machines something big goes wrong, their  traded in, and some other farmer has to deal with the issues. 

I hear your friend , the old stuff is better , the green new deal is the end of fossil fuel engines , LOL ---- personally there is not much new stuff out there I would want to pay for 

I have learned when there is an engine performance problem now days , there is not much I can do any more except change fuel filters , it is better to direct the owner to the dealer  and have it scanned , recently a Bobcat /Doosan engine got a bad dose of water in the fuel , I  drained the tank and changed the filters , it was too late , it was coding up injector faults , the dealer changed the 4 $900+ injectors and the $900 common rail , and the bill was $6,400 , owner was lucky it could have been a lot worst  ---- I can't change the injectors if I wanted to as they are programmed into the controller , the old one's serial number  has to be deleted and the new one installed using software that is dealer priority and not available for like 10 years to the public  or the injector  won't fire , but by the time 10 years rolls around that model will be obsolete and all the ones with that spec will be dead some where in the cow pasture any ways ----the old Kubotas in Bobcats was what made them great , you could have dunk it in the river for a week , pull it out , flush it and be working by the end of the day , LOL 

• Like 3

yupi hear yeah bro, they have us by the short and curly's  now, just glad i don't have to mess with any of the newer tractors, even some of the older machines weren't that easy to fix, i would hate tangle with a hydraulic control unit like, there was an old saying about johndeere combines, the combine was built around the radiator , lol, and the steal hydraulic lines routed through the machine like a snake, which you could adapt / fabricated rubber lines , but why johndeere used steel hydro lines ? is still a mystery, the machine vibration cause fatigue cracks is what caused them to fail, once swopped to rubber, no more issues. the hydrostatic drive system were all steel lines, but only two were routed (behind drive belts) up to the cooler built into the radiator, a rubber line was routed up the left hand side to the gravity fed oil tank. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Just wait till everything runs on free energy, i aint figured that one out yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

wow, that's very impressive, lol bet this just right for bobby Goodson all terrain logging, he's got just about every other piece of equiptment .... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks fun 

image.png

Yet another thing that I didn't know existed, but that I most certainly "need" now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Water leak Cat D3 , hooked the pressure tester to the radiator , not only the was the radiator leaking , the bearing went out on the water pump and the plastic  fan hit the shroud and piece of plastic put a hole in the radiator , that radiator and hydraulic cooler was clogged up bad , at least there is no signs of a cracked head or blown gasket , didn't see any pressure on the tester and used a combustion gas detector on the radiator before taking it apart   -----  that crew works 4/10s so I was by myself , got that radiator / cooler in my truck and that nose laid over by myself ---------- got the radiator to the Radiator Shoppe before they closed ,  parts ordered thru Cat , looks like a Tuesday job 

Looking at that radiator grill which is 1/4 metal , it is amazing there wasn't a hole in the front of the radiator  

zM2F8cNDRDmbmXKwn+RXkQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_dd3.jpeg

M%J4EuCHT+WvKMOnCRvEgA.jpg

OVzJh9rmRJCVuipEoNQsZQ.jpg

rQuIfAmrTvyod2NBsB1+AQ.jpg

• Like 2

Wilson , ironic you brought up Cat dozer models in the other thread while I was posting the one above ----I did a lot of plastic models when I was a kid , never did do any equipment , you got me wanting to do one -----  I use to like to do custom cars , a knife on the stove till hot and cut the plastics and mix and match parts , I wish I had some pics of the stuff I built ---kind of funny you mentioned you won a contest in school with a model , the only class I ever failed thru school was art in 12th grade , I built a model of a Camaro and painted by hand RUSH from their album , someone told the teacher and she said I copied someone's work and gave me a F and it was the final exam project  

image.png

• Like 1