Fishfiles

Food Channel

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Some questions from observations of your post : 

I was going to look for some White's Bacon from previous referrals , but $15 a pound is out my league , LOL 

Do you find " chopped or diced onions " make any difference 

See you " use to get cats from Mississippi and they were good "  and also had some good eating catfish " in the same sentence , so were them cats felines ? =  I think I might have had cat at the local Chinese food joint , not sure !!! 

Is a  " ratcoon " anything like a raccoon , or is it a mixed hybrid breed ??? > 

15 a pound for bacon is crazy. i just bought a pound an a half ever so often. as far as onions, depends on the onion. 3rd an about last,

cats referred to catfish, but one time i was working hvac on the roof an i could hear dogs barking over a Chinese food joint through the duct-work , till about 11AM, then it got quite. eerily so, i never ate, nor will, in that place.....

same breed, just older, bigger, on the raccoons. 🙂

Dirty Rats!!

• Like 1

We never did talk about cooking cheap , the pot of beans yesterday were a cheap meal and was a hit , the sausage was given to me , spent about $10 all together , the poke'chops were  cheap @ 5 packs for $19.99 , $4 a pack , so  about $18 for a lot of food  ---- the wife went to the store yesterday and I had her pick me up a can of that Campells condensed cream of roasted garlic , the beans were not creamy enough for me , so I smashed a bunch of the beans , added the can of roasted garlic soup , simmered another hour and they got really creamy 

Today I am doing spaghetti and meat balls ,  was the same deal on the meat 5 packs for $19.99 , so 24 pre-made meatballs were $8 and they are good stuff , two jars of Emeril's Ah Garlic sauce and a pack of spaghetti , so another $20 meal coming up 

fullsizeoutput_d8c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d8e.jpeg

On November 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I like to booby trap my stuffed peppers.  I leave a few seeds and the membrane in a few of them.

Then when we're all sitting around watching foosball, SURPRISE!  You got a hot one!

^^^ one to watch when have the honda riding party / cookout / gathering, lol. 

• Like 1

oh i do to, it's just having a joker in the deck, no telling whet else will be messed with, you've been on riding parties before, like i have, no telling what your friends will try and pull off, i had my handle grips greased one time, kieth left for lunch one time, and Andy took his his tires off, that one didnt go so well, lol! 

• Like 1

Quick , cheap meatballs and spaghetti dinner , meat balls in the oven for a light browning 20 minutes , those meat balls  are pretty spicy , they come in three styles , $4 a pack  , kicked it up a notch with some veggies , married it all together just now for a long simmer , took about 30 minutes to put it all together 

fullsizeoutput_d91.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d90.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d8f.jpeg

• Like 1

Meatballs and sauce revisited

Wife told me we might have a few more guest show up today , so I did an adjustment to the sauce to make sure we cane feed'em , took 5 links of some Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage out of the freezer and out the  casing and fried it up like ground meat and added it to the sauce , turning it into a meat sauce with meat balls , found the sweetness tamed down the heat so I gave it another BAM of spices , got another bottle of the sauce so if it gets low in the pot can top it off , LOL   ---- waiting on " 5 o'clock " now , that is usually 10:30 to 11:00 around here if you catch my drift 

Edit: 

didn't realize my pics didn't go thru when I posted this ^^^^  , that whole pot of meat balls and sauce got wiped out Sunday and all the left over beans from Saturday  ----something I didn't mention before was I added a big heapping spoon of sugar to that red gravy , I find it takes away some of the acid and helps with heart burn ,some thing my Mom use to do ---- that Johnsonville sausage is pretty good , that is sweet Italian 

fullsizeoutput_d94.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d96.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d97.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, oh400ex said:

Bacon... 🤤

This is my go to. Wright's as well but WAY cheaper for the ends and pieces.

The bad part is that you will get much more fat than strip-style but if you use it for cooking (or suet for birds) the value can not be beat.

We filter the fat/grease and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze the cubes of fat and then pop them out into a zip-top bag for long term storage.
Just grab one or more out of the bag for pan frying, breads, etc. Love this method so much.

As an aside... the best burger I have ever eaten was ground with our grinder from a beautiful piece of beef and some of the bacon ends and pieces. 

abe28128-9567-4bac-ae8d-bc4267ce1804.94c95ef2fdffd3d1cb42806303e2fd7f.jpeg

Haven't ever seen that.  I'll have to look for it.

Walmart has Wrights around here, but I try to use my local grocery store for most stuff.  They're expensive if you buy at regular prices, but they have weekly sales and I usually just buy whatever's on sale.

Wrights 24 oz packs were $7.95 a few weeks ago so I bought 3-4 of them.  Threw a couple in the freezer, and two in the fridge, that are about gone.

I drain my bacon grease in a jar and leave it under the kitchen sink.  Dollop out with a spoon when I need it.  That ice cube trick sounds like a good idea though!  Keep it from going rancid.

That burger sounds good too.  I wait till either my local store or the Fresh Market in Memphis has Beef Tenderloin on sale for $10ish/pound, and have the butchers clean the tenderloin, and grind the trimmings.  Makes good burger meat, although a hair dry.  Adding some ground bacon would be PERFECT. 

• Like 3

you just by pass those end parts, and take the bacon in full packs and chop the end parts off, then freeze the strips, much simple idea then driving all over for a bag end parts, = KISS especially sence those tip are most likely used just for seasoning, and the strips are thick enough for baked beans, breakfast, and other dishes. 

i take a fresh wrights pack, and cut the ends off, the wrap in wax, paper, followed by think foil,the lable it then use as needed, and have the strips for other things like blt's bacon bits for salads, soups, etc. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

I love me some bacon

Lishman's Grocery sells some one pound packs of bacon bits and pieces , I have only got it one time ,  and I am always looking at it , all this talk about bacon , this week I am going for it and going to do something with it 

Crunchy fried bacon cracked up in little pieces goes great on a salad or in potato salad 

Baked Beans with a layer of bacon and onion rings on top is pretty good 

Lots of mornings I stop at the local diner here in Lacombe and get a double decker BLT on toast , Cheddar Cheese  with Creole mustard on it , my boy Cliff is the chef and he puts about 3/4 of a pound of bacon on it , yum !!! 

• Like 2

Thanksgiving Dinner

The wife and I were making plans for Thanksgiving and it is sad this year , we usually have a pretty big gathering of her family , but we lost father in law and sister in law this year , niece in law moved to Huston , nephew in law got divorced , re-hitched and moved , son in law going to his in laws house for dinner early and won't be over here till late in the evening ---- so we plan on inviting our closest friends over this year 

Got to have turkey , stuffing and gravy , then mashed potatoes , then thinking about some shrimp stuffed militon ( coyote squash ) and Gumbo  seafood style 

• Like 1

I remember about the father-in-law, (very sad what illness he was living with) but i must be drawing a blank on the sister-in-law, i do recall a hospital stay from a fall, i  think ?  wow! y'all did  have a few family members move off. will your son be there ? 

15 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I remember about the father-in-law, (very sad what illness he was living with) but i must be drawing a blank on the sister-in-law, i do recall a hospital stay from a fall, i  think ?  wow! y'all did  have a few family members move off. will your son be there ? 

Sister in law had pain in her hip last Thanksgiving and didn't want to go riding on 4 wheelers , and she was one that really liked to ride , even if on the back , she would drive her self a lot of times and was pretty good and wild , well  one thing lead to another , cancer in her bones and 7 places in her body , she was operated on her brain for  cancerous tumor that was putting pressure on her brain  last year around New Years  , she went into a coma about 2 months later and she passed around Easter ---- my son and daughter are always invited , doubt either  will show 

That was the wife's  brother's wife that fell down the stairs and broke her ankle , she is still messed up with pins sticking out the skin, on crotches and another operation coming up ,  so they will not be coming either 

• Thanks 1

oh man.... pardon me for getting it mixed up, my older sister is in the same shape, but getting better, so cancer i can relate to but he drinking i cannot, sort of, i reckon I'd want  to numb the feelings / thoughts to. but the drugs nah, that can't over look. so our gathering will be thin this year as well, nether of her daughters or kids / husbands will be there, some are still worried about covid it's always something. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

We're flying to the in-laws for Thanksgiving.  Had flight booked for the nephews bday party back in April which was cancelled due to Covid.  Wife is set on going, so we're using those vouchers to fly now.  Flights are still cheap, and I have enough road rage to last me till next year, so flying sounds much better. 

To these states that are "mandating" that you not have family in for thanksgiving, I would say tomorrow is never promised, so spend the holidays with your families.  Covid or not, you don't know if they'll be around next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 7:55 AM, Fishfiles said:

Quick , cheap meatballs and spaghetti dinner , meat balls in the oven for a light browning 20 minutes , those meat balls  are pretty spicy , they come in three styles , $4 a pack  , kicked it up a notch with some veggies , married it all together just now for a long simmer , took about 30 minutes to put it all together 

fullsizeoutput_d91.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d90.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d8f.jpeg

what kind of knife is that? looks nice.

we used to have alot of people show up for Nov. turkey day. Christmas. not that way anymore. Easter, 110, was the biggest we had.

The older ones have died off, [before the Wuhan virus], and the kids dont care about tradition.

enjoy it while ya can.

Family tradition is disappearing. only you can hold it together, to enjoy these times, and make them important.

Edited by LedFTed
just because

led , I forget the name of the knife , might be Ninja ,  my Sister-in-law gave it to me , it is the best vegetable knife I ever had , not good on meats , but will destroy some onions

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

led , I forget the name of the knife , might be Ninja ,  my Sister-in-law gave it to me , it is the best vegetable knife I ever had , not good on meats , but will destroy some onions

i made the mistake once of telling my sister, the best part of the celery is the center. before that, i was the only one that liked it. tender, not stringy. now its the first thing to go. never makes it to the table. Durn womens+sisters. ya think they would save me some. No.

they, my sisters, didnt tell everybody. i can still get over my brother.  😄

'Led , consider your self lucky to have sisters and brothers  ---- I was an only child and only grandchild and now I am the last of the Mo'he'gans 

• Thanks 2

On 11/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, Fishfiles said:

I love me some bacon

Lishman's Grocery sells some one pound packs of bacon bits and pieces , I have only got it one time ,  and I am always looking at it , all this talk about bacon , this week I am going for it and going to do something with it 

Crunchy fried bacon cracked up in little pieces goes great on a salad or in potato salad 

Baked Beans with a layer of bacon and onion rings on top is pretty good 

Lots of mornings I stop at the local diner here in Lacombe and get a double decker BLT on toast , Cheddar Cheese  with Creole mustard on it , my boy Cliff is the chef and he puts about 3/4 of a pound of bacon on it , yum !!! 

ya fry the bacon 1st.? i like my baked beans with fried bacon. i guess ya could add some bacon grease if ya wanted. not too fried.

Edited by LedFTed

On 11/19/2020 at 3:30 AM, Fishfiles said:

'Led , consider your self lucky to have sisters and brothers  ---- I was an only child and only grandchild and now I am the last of the Mo'he'gans 

me an my brother ave different points of view. we still get along, pretty much. i was of a much larger family. Shew Wee, familys aint as close as they was. was a history. now a certain chill in the air.

not enough association!!

Edited by LedFTed

Started prep'ing for the Thanksgiving dinner , Gumbo , militon ( coyote squash ) shrimp stuffing , turkey , potato salad , etc , etc 

Cut the militons in half and boil them with some crab boil bag seasoning , then scoop out the meat and discard the outer shell , more to come 

This is my favorite dish 

fullsizeoutput_dae.jpeg

eOTUc06rSNqLT10jf+ul1A.jpg

• Like 2