Fishfiles

Food Channel

i used to go cat-fishing., at night. had black-lights, so i could see the line. cleaning many of those i caught, the meat is different, than what you can buy in a store. the fish-meat is often injected with water or something, so it weights more.

a law was made in the US., that ya cant have frozen fish with water on the outside, but nothing was said about the inside. complain all ya can if you will, i have.

then some countries inject with a gel to expand the shrimp. its people friendly gel, of sorts, it wont kill ya right off, but is hard on the wallet, if ya expect good food.

stay away from farm raised, not the same at real.. the fish or shrimp eat food similar to nothing natural, or what you dog eats.

i got no dogs, but i wont let my horses eat something, like a carrot, that i wouldn't eat. 

carrot's i make sure to wash the user consumer, friendly editable oil product, from the ground. petroleum.   

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i used to go cat-fishing., at night. had black-lights, so i could see the line. cleaning many of those i caught, the meat is different, than what you can buy in a store. the fish-meat is often injected with water or something, so it weights more.

a law was made in the US., that ya cant have frozen fish with water on the outside, but nothing was said about the inside. complain all ya can if you will, i have.

then some countries inject with a gel to expand the shrimp. its people friendly gel, of sorts, it wont kill ya right off, but is hard on the wallet, if ya expect good food.

stay away from farm raised, not the same at real.. the fish or shrimp eat food similar to nothing natural, or what you dog eats.

i got no dogs, but i wont let my horses eat something, like a carrot, that i wouldn't eat. 

carrot's i make sure to wash the user consumer, friendly editable oil product, from the ground. petroleum.   

We had a lot of catfish farms pop up here in the late 80's/early 90's.  Farm raised catfish tastes a lot better than the river cats around here (Mississippi river and tributaries), but catfish caught out of the pond on the farm were best.

Now all of them come from overseas.  Bleh. 

The old catfish pond levees were knocked down and the land got put back into cultivation.

• Like 3

I am on a bean kick , yesterday I made some Cowboy Pork 'n' Beans and man were they a hit , started with the usual , garlic , onions , bell pepper , celery , Rotel , Italian sausage , Lea and Perrins , mixed dry seasonings including a heavy dose of spicy red chile powder , then the kicker , three cans of different styles Bush Beans , a little git of Sweet Baby Rays sauce and a squirt of yellow mustard ------grilled some  meat on the side , had two kinds of processed deer/pork, some smoked and some with jalepeono and pepper jack cheese 

fullsizeoutput_d7b.jpeg

• Like 3

sounds just like what my dear departed grandmother would make, but she called more of a chili, but, to me, it was a split taste between cowboy beans, and chili, I've tried to copy it, but so far, no dice. the only items it didnt have, was chez, bbq  sauce, mustard, and tomate  sauce, or rotel. and Italian sauage. I'm not sure on the species she used, but your pic looks exactly like what she would end up with, that was some good eating, especially with a iron skillet of cornbread. 

• Like 1

Poppers on the menu yesterday , jalepeono and mushrooms  stuffed with sausage , cream cheese and wrapped in bacon 

fullsizeoutput_d7f.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks awesome, I've never tried anything like that before, but can't go wrong being wrapped in bacon.  Fish, have you ever tried a maple smoked bacon.? I add maple syrup to anything I cook with bacon, good stuff.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

That looks awesome, I've never tried anything like that before, but can't go wrong being wrapped in bacon.  Fish, have you ever tried a maple smoked bacon.? I add maple syrup to anything I cook with bacon, good stuff.

No have tried maple syrup on the grill before , I have some maple syrup for pancakes in the pantry , might have to try that 

TB' , you can wrap whatever you want in them peppers , shrimp works good , and boudin is my favorite , boudin  if you don't know is rice sausage , I like it well seasoned and spicy , it is lighter than sausage , the ones that make it good to me , are the ones that blend/grind the rice up , so you never see pieces of rice in the mix 

If you don't want your poppers to spicy  hot , then split the pepper and take a spoon and scrape all the seeds and white veins out the inside the pepper , it will still be spicy but not nearly as much if you don't scrape them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like to booby trap my stuffed peppers.  I leave a few seeds and the membrane in a few of them.

Then when we're all sitting around watching foosball, SURPRISE!  You got a hot one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Poppers on the menu yesterday , jalepeono and mushrooms  stuffed with sausage , cream cheese and wrapped in bacon 

my friend introduced me those stuffed poppers years ago, sence then, they have really caught on around these parts, even with older folks which you think would not to to try something like this, told m step mother about these, she, loves them, however pop won't try them, lol, you  an see them listed on some higher end restaurant menus. fish, i thought you had tried some wrapped in writes thick seasoned  bacon ?  

• Like 1

Wilson , I don't think I know about " Writes thick seasoned bacon " , sure sounds good !!!!  and expensive too !!! 

21 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wilson , I don't think I know about " Writes thick seasoned bacon " , sure sounds good !!!!  and expensive too !!! 

Wright's Bacon.

Good stuff.  It is pricey though.

When my local grocery store puts Wright's or Sugardale bacon on sale, I buy a lot of it, put it in the freezer. 

• Like 3

yeah it's up there in price, but thick, and good!, you'd be able to to use half a strip to a pepper, maybe even less ? 

• Like 1

I cooked today while I went to work , LOL --- in the crock pot , a London Broil cut of meat , boy did it shrink , threw a can of cut mushrooms , some onion and garlic , a can of Cambells roasted mushroom condensed soup for cooking  , a dry pack of Lipton Soup mix and a can of water , some dry seasonings , been on for 5 hours on low , going to throw in a stick of butter in that gravy ------  tried a tip just a minute ago and it will be sweet with some mash potatoes 

fullsizeoutput_d80.jpeg

• Like 2

Todays menu has Jambalaya :

I know I must have talked about it before , but there are so many ways to do it , always start with the usual veggies fried down , this time it is just Double D sausage , went Cajun/Mex on this one with the Rotel chili fixings style , can of roasted garlic mushroom , heavy on the spicy chili powder , family box of Zatarain's mix 

What's good about Jambalaya is that it is just like Gumbo , you can put anything in it and it will be good , shrimp , crab , pork , beef , chopped ham , sausage , dove , duck ,  robin , quail , armadillo , possum , wood pecker , what ever you got , clean out the ice box of the left overs is what my Grandma used to do 

fullsizeoutput_d87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d85.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d88.jpeg

• Like 1

Writes bacon. sometimes ya can find it in the Save-a-lot. in bardstown up here, over here or whatever, apple-wood bacon, i cant remember who make that, the price went up from 7 to 15 or so for a pound. then they quit making it. just sell smoked bacon. i guess the parents went over, an the kids took over the business.

with baked beans, i like to put pieces of fried bacon, a squirt of yellow mustard, a squirt of lemon juice, an some brown sugar., plus some other stuff, like diced onions, or chopped onions, BBQ sauce, etc.

One of the Pay lake used to get cats from Mississippi. i liked it. the local lake, had good eating catfish also. cant say which was best.

at the pay lake, ya didnt have to worry bout shore patrol, or in other words, getting locked up. till ya drove home.

one on the biggest cat fish i caught, i let go. while sleeping in the boat, coons came, an one of those ratcoons, took a big bite out of my catfish. i didn't want to share the germs. Ratcoons can give ya rabies.

just like a chimp. they are cute when they are young, nasty when they get older.

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Writes bacon. sometimes ya can find it in the Save-a-lot. in bardstown up here, over here or whatever, apple-wood bacon, i cant remember who make that, the price went up from 7 to 15 or so for a pound. then they quit making it. just sell smoked bacon. i guess the parents went over, an the kids took over the business.

with baked beans, i like to put pieces of fried bacon, a squirt of yellow mustard, a squirt of lemon juice, an some brown sugar., plus some other stuff, like diced onions, or chopped onions, BBQ sauce, etc.

One of the Pay lake used to get cats from Mississippi. i liked it. the local lake, had good eating catfish also. cant say which was best.

at the pay lake, ya didnt have to worry bout shore patrol, or in other words, getting locked up. till ya drove home.

one on the biggest cat fish i caught, i let go. while sleeping in the boat, coons came, an one of those ratcoons, took a big bite out of my catfish. i didn't want to share the germs. Ratcoons can give ya rabies.

just like a chimp. they are cute when they are young, nasty when they get older.

Some questions from observations of your post : 

I was going to look for some White's Bacon from previous referrals , but $15 a pound is out my league , LOL 

Do you find " chopped or diced onions " make any difference 

See you " use to get cats from Mississippi and they were good "  and also had some good eating catfish " in the same sentence , so were them cats felines ? =  I think I might have had cat at the local Chinese food joint , not sure !!! 

Is a  " ratcoon " anything like a raccoon , or is it a mixed hybrid breed ??? > 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I see the White's is a 1 1/2 pound package , a little better deal  , but still $15 is brutal  -----  I buy " bunk " bacon in bulk for $5 for a 2 pounds package  

Today it's Great Northern White beans and Poke'Chops , with another twist from my last patch of course , it is what you got in the pantry and ice box ,  this time threw in a package of Lipton dry soup mix , no ground meat , no Campells mushroom condensed soup ----went with smoked deer sausage , and stuck with the Cajun / Mex mix 

48Cas1KYRSGmDHZd%d+KAg.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I see the White's is a 1 1/2 pound package , a little better deal  , but still $15 is brutal  -----  I buy " bunk " bacon in bulk for $5 for a 2 pounds package  

I think we got this For 9.99

• Like 1

Bacon... 🤤

This is my go to. Wright's as well but WAY cheaper for the ends and pieces.

The bad part is that you will get much more fat than strip-style but if you use it for cooking (or suet for birds) the value can not be beat.

We filter the fat/grease and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze the cubes of fat and then pop them out into a zip-top bag for long term storage.
Just grab one or more out of the bag for pan frying, breads, etc. Love this method so much.

As an aside... the best burger I have ever eaten was ground with our grinder from a beautiful piece of beef and some of the bacon ends and pieces. 

abe28128-9567-4bac-ae8d-bc4267ce1804.94c95ef2fdffd3d1cb42806303e2fd7f.jpeg

• Like 3

Just got back from the local Lishma n's grocery , they didn't have Wright bacon , going to try it eventually 

• Like 1

if you've never hand it before ? it's much better then any bacon I've ever had thicker then just about all the rest but usually doesn't stay on the on the shelves too long, i have two packs in the Larg deep freeze right, man, you talk about the best bl&t's  i can eat two of them at  a sitting, the hard part is finding good tomatoes 

• Like 2

to season, this is what you need salt cured fat back, for beans, turnip greens, green beans, bean soup, etc, i never keep the lard, but with  wrap the bacon in a paper towel while hot to soak up the excess grease, then chop the bacon for dishes if need be.

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1