sled_22

06 foreman, 1st gear replace, now doesn't move.

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Ran probably 15 miles tonight off and on. Everything worked as it should (other than the rear brakes).  It does shift from 1st to neutral pretty hard while at a stop. Is this something that could be corrected by turning my clutch adjustment 1/8 turn counter clockwise???

yes, but if shifting hard ?, then you need to back the clutch off counter clockwise. just loosen the jam nut, turn it counter clockwise until it starts to seat, then go back clockwise 1/4 turn, tighten down the jam nut. BE SURE TO HOLD THE JAM NUT ALL THE TIME IN PLACE WHEN DOING ANY OF THIS !.

thats how i set it the first and second go around taking the front cover off... 1/4 turn backwards which is why i ask if i should give it a little more... going to the woods with my kids tomorrow so i'll adjust before we go and see how it works.

Thanks again for all the insight. I'm very well versed with a mechanical back field in engineering, design, and mechanics so none of this scares me. It's just learning the ins and outs of this machine. Can't wait for the fat second stimulas check so i can send it rocky mountain atv's way for some new tires.

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

thats how i set it the first and second go around taking the front cover off... 1/4 turn backwards which is why i ask if i should give it a little more... going to the woods with my kids tomorrow so i'll adjust before we go and see how it works.

Thanks again for all the insight. I'm very well versed with a mechanical back field in engineering, design, and mechanics so none of this scares me. It's just learning the ins and outs of this machine. Can't wait for the fat second stimulas check so i can send it rocky mountain atv's way for some new tires.

counter clockwise decreases the clutch, clockwise increases the clutch. always start from full counter clockwise lightly seated, while holding jam nut, then go clockwise 1/4 turns at a time while holding jam nut. to know if you did it right ?, ( this only works with manual shifts ), after adjustment, crank it up, lift up with your foot on foot lever..HOLD IT THERE !..give it some throttle, IT SHOULD NOT MOVE AT ALL WHILE HOLDING LEVER UP !. if it does ?, then the adjustment is not correct.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Ran probably 15 miles tonight off and on. Everything worked as it should (other than the rear brakes).  It does shift from 1st to neutral pretty hard while at a stop. Is this something that could be corrected by turning my clutch adjustment 1/8 turn counter clockwise???

The manual clutch plates may be stuck causing hard shifting. Try this to test. This is manual shift right? If so, put it in second gear and hold the shifter up. Hit the accelerator as you would to drive. If the wheeler goes then the plates are stuck. Just drive around at a high RPM until they break loose. Holding the lever all the way up or all the way down is like pulling in the clutch lever on a motorcycle. I've owned 4 TRX 420's and everyone one of them have stuck plates when starting them. I break them loose just like I recommended.

• Like 2

Tried your guts tests today. Whenever I hold the shift lever up, the clutch is fully engaged and machine will move or continue to move. Plates must not be sticking. And I believe adjustment is good? One thing I noticed is if I stop in 1st and want to go to neutral, it’s hard to down shift while it’s running, but if I shut it off, it drops into neutral instantly.  It’s really not that bad, I’m just getting bit picky and want it to ride like new when the wife is on it. 

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

Tried your guts tests today. Whenever I hold the shift lever up, the clutch is fully engaged and machine will move or continue to move. Plates must not be sticking. And I believe adjustment is good? One thing I noticed is if I stop in 1st and want to go to neutral, it’s hard to down shift while it’s running, but if I shut it off, it drops into neutral instantly.  It’s really not that bad, I’m just getting bit picky and want it to ride like new when the wife is on it. 

disk and plates are not right. if the adjustment is correct ?..when holding lever up at idle ?..IT SHOULD NOT MOVE !. and it should not be hard to shift up or down !.

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

I posted on my phone and it autocorrected...

when i lift and hold the shift lever, the machine slightly jumps when going from neutral to 1st but then does NOT move even when revving it up. even when i do it in 2nd 3rd and 4th, it completely disengages the clutch and no power is transferred to the wheels.

6 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I posted on my phone and it autocorrected...

when i lift and hold the shift lever, the machine slightly jumps when going from neutral to 1st but then does NOT move even when revving it up. even when i do it in 2nd 3rd and 4th, it completely disengages the clutch and no power is transferred to the wheels.

then its adjusted correctly, you may want to back it off a tad, see if it shifts easier ?.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, shadetree said:

maybe need to turn the idle down a tad too ?.

Follow up. Idle down help the issue. 
also: credit give to jeep for the terminology used to help this lad: 

Notice the ad.... uffda thanks for your hard work mods

DA435BDA-1DEB-41F4-96D6-1ABB1F7DEA60.png

• Like 1

LOL.  I describe stuff in a way that I would understand it if someone was trying to tell my how to do something.

• Like 1