Jump to content
jeepwm69

TRX300 rear end and 450 Foreman engine/ new jobs for me!

Recommended Posts

Had a local young guy come into my office this week to talk about installing some water bottle filling stations, and we were chatting and he asked if I knew anyone who could rebuild a 450 engine. 

 

After an hour of babbling, he brought me a 300 rear end that needed work, and when I'm done with it, he's going to bring me the 450 bottom end to go through, and send the jug off to G&H (he said he can put the top end on)

 

He picked up the 450 for a couple hundred bucks.  Had been flooded at a deer camp when the river came up.  He was quoted $1500 by a guy down in MS who worked at a dealership, but who also does side work.  I figure it will need a crank, thorough cleaning, seals, top end.  @shadetree, what kinda timing chain you use in these things.  OEM is $150!

 

But before I get to that, I told him I'd go through his 300 rear end.  He dropped it off yesterday.  Said he paid $100 for the 300.  Runs, no smoke, pink fenders, and this rear end issue.  I expected a trashed stock rear end, and instead I got a weird one. 

 

Tore it down this morning.  Found OEM bearings that were tight.  A 5 min dunk in the parts cleaner and the diff proved to be in excellent shape.  Axle was the same.  Nice square splines with no corrosion under the hubs.

 

The rear brake panel, on the other hand, was where the problem was.  Trashed bearing.  I've never see the brake bearing look like this, especially given the shape of the rest of the rear end. 

300 brake.jpg

300diff.jpg

300brake2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

D.I.D. cam chain. same chain honda uses in their box.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

looks like that rear has been apart before with the small dabs of clear silicon ... but  ... in amazingly good shape ... but wow at that brake drum!! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Brake shoes were missing.  I'm wondering if this thing didn't have a new axle, hubs, and diff installed with old brake panel.  Doesn't make sense that the diff would be in perfect shape with a brake panel with a shot bearing and no brake shoes.

 

The stuff on the diff looks like a skim coat of Hondabond.  Camera makes it look clear, but it's grey.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

very common for the brake side to die, and not the diff. once water get into the brake drum area ?, and no one ever drains them !, they go down hill.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

  Doesn't make sense that the diff would be in perfect shape with a brake panel with a shot bearing and no brake shoes.

 

Maybe it was a  matter of necessity and getting the most bang for the buck with limited funding , you need a diff to ride , but brakes are an option -----  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

 

Maybe it was a  matter of necessity and getting the most bang for the buck with limited funding , you need a diff to ride , but brakes are an option -----  

who needs brakes when there is plenty of tree's !...lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, shadetree said:

who needs brakes when there is plenty of tree's !...lol.

1st gear!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

1st gear!

rofl..speaking of 1st gear...where's bcs ?..he knows all about 1st gear !..lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Have you ever rode a 300 with a bad one way bearing and no brakes , when you let off the throttle it don't slow down too good , is it just my imagination or does that one way bearing act as a engine brake 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

i thought he made it to 2nd gear, shade ... lol

Edited by _Wilson_™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

i thought he made it 2nd gear, shade ... lol

that is only a rumor , no conformation on 2nd gear yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
27 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Have you ever rode a 300 with a bad one way bearing and no brakes , when you let off the throttle it don't slow down too good , is it just my imagination or does that one way bearing act as a engine brake 

 

Yep, bad one way means no engine braking.  My 06 500 is intermittent.  I'll start and a hill and be coasting, blip the throttle and it will catch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
24 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

 

Yep, bad one way means no engine braking.  My 06 500 is intermittent.  I'll start and a hill and be coasting, blip the throttle and it will catch. 

I wish there was a button to press for  engine braking and no engine braking , i kind of like both ways at different times ---  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That is one reason why I LOVE the rear brake delete... none of that mess ever again.. but u need (or I need) front disc conversion!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Got the rear end done yesterday.  New bearing and OEM rear brake pads in the brake panel.  Few new seals in the rear end that looked iffy.  Put it all back together, used a drum cover I had off of one of the bikes that was still on my trailer from this parts haul a while back. 

 

Getting the dang drum cover off took me more time and effort that all the rest of the work combined. 

 

Had to put a 24" pipe wrench on the axle lock nut, with an 8 foot cheater bar on it.  Broke the cheater bar, which happened to be the pole for our clothesline.  Don't tell my wife!

 

Then rounded off two of the 8mm bolts holding it on, and had to grind the heads off of them.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got the rear end done yesterday.  New bearing and OEM rear brake pads in the brake panel.  Few new seals in the rear end that looked iffy.  Put it all back together, used a drum cover I had off of one of the bikes that was still on my trailer from this parts haul a while back. 

 

Getting the dang drum cover off took me more time and effort that all the rest of the work combined. 

 

Had to put a 24" pipe wrench on the axle lock nut, with an 8 foot cheater bar on it.  Broke the cheater bar, which happened to be the pole for our clothesline.  Don't tell my wife!

 

Then rounded off two of the 8mm bolts holding it on, and had to grind the heads off of them.

haha...i've had a lot of those 8mm bolts rounded off ?, or plain just broken off when i started in on the brake drum cover ?. like you, some break, some round off, also like you, i grind the head off, then get the backing plate off, drill, tap new threads, those 8mm bolts are very easy to drill out, re-tap. it would be great if honda came out with rear disk brakes on these old girls back then !.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...