Jump to content
Goober

86 TRX350A Cam Chain Adjuster

Recommended Posts

Hey Outlaws 

do I have a worn cam chain?

 

ive been hearing some noise in this project 86 TRX350A quad and so didn’t want to take it on trail yet. 

 

i removed the cam chain adjuster and it wont go back in. Does that means the chain guide is fully extended? I am able to reset the spring to reinstall the adjuster.

 

thanks.

Edited by Goober

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Sounds like your chain tension is ok if you had a gap between the  adjuster and the mounting base.  Did you adjust the valves yet.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

thanks FF wanted to be sure i was checkin it properly 
 

Yup adjusted the valves. Maybe i got them too tight or maybe as a Harley owner I’m just extra sensitive about valve noise lol?

 

With adjuster fully extended, The entire adjuster shaft sticks out as in the picture. It makes sense to me that the tensioner would go in further if the chain was looser. It looked like the PO replaced a valve and probably did the cam chain then also.

 

i thought the noise might be the starter clutch too. So i bought a NOS starter and kick start one-way clutch.

727A894C-F82F-4875-B163-557A295FB922.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks like that motor might have been redone not too long ago  ------    rocker box /  arms / tappet adjuster screws  might be worn out ---- -----     do a Shade' , throw them feeler gauges away and do it by feel -----  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
57 minutes ago, Goober said:

thanks FF wanted to be sure i was checkin it properly 
 

Yup adjusted the valves. Maybe i got them too tight or maybe as a Harley owner I’m just extra sensitive about valve noise lol?

 

With adjuster fully extended, The entire adjuster shaft sticks out as in the picture. It makes sense to me that the tensioner would go in further if the chain was looser. It looked like the PO replaced a valve and probably did the cam chain then also.

 

i thought the noise might be the starter clutch too. So i bought a NOS starter and kick start one-way clutch.

727A894C-F82F-4875-B163-557A295FB922.jpeg

from the pic here ^^^, your cam chain is good. was the cam lobes and rocker faces inspected ?. is the top end getting plenty of oil ?., last but not least. toss those feeler gauges away, and do the valve adjustments by hand !..lol. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ADJUSTING THE VALVES ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE !!!.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks guys she’s running great; i have a manual fan control now. Maybe it was just getting hot before and getting noisy. i also put some muffler packing in the Cobra muffler—she’s quieter now.

well i want to take it on trail tomorrow but dang it hate to get it dirty lols!

enjoy your holiday🍻

166D3580-DA25-472D-8761-461AE7F3541F.jpeg

BD72555D-A493-4110-A4EE-39B84651FA86.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 bugs me when ppl don’t answer my questions directly and i saw I didn’t answer @shadetreequestions.
 

No i never looked at the cam lobes but the tappet faces looked as good as I could tell without taking off the valve cover. whats the best way to see, without removing covers, if you’re getting enough oil up to the cam? Take the oil pipe off at the head and cycle with Kill switch in Off?


i also noticed that the decomp lever wiggles just a bit while running. Manual calls for 1-3mm? play in cable. Maybe i don’t have enough play in it? I could try backing it off a skosh.


thanks very much for your questions. I’m telling ya, those homegrown diagnostic tests are great! Grounding the oil sensor lead helped me find a disconnected fan; you have been recommending this cam chain test for a long time and I’m just now trying it! There are several other tests you do i need to write in my notes pages!

 

this pic here shows original condition of the valve cover—not too bad—shows a different valve type which i think was installed by the original owner. He was a small engine mech and has since passed on. i see He broke a couple of bolt heads and used some studs to replace.

10F22E9A-5789-4B55-A266-D42C4122EF35.jpeg

0D6B609F-8F4A-4E27-8C4C-73AEFCDFB53C.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, Goober said:

 bugs me when ppl don’t answer my questions directly and i saw I didn’t answer @shadetreequestions.
 

No i never looked at the cam lobes but the tappet faces looked as good as I could tell without taking off the valve cover. whats the best way to see, without removing covers, if you’re getting enough oil up to the cam? Take the oil pipe off at the head and cycle with Kill switch in Off?


i also noticed that the decomp lever wiggles just a bit while running. Manual calls for 1-3mm? play in cable. Maybe i don’t have enough play in it? I could try backing it off a skosh.


thanks very much for your questions. I’m telling ya, those homegrown diagnostic tests are great! Grounding the oil sensor lead helped me find a disconnected fan; you have been recommending this cam chain test for a long time and I’m just now trying it! There are several other tests you do i need to write in my notes pages!

 

this pic here shows original condition of the valve cover—not too bad—shows a different valve type which i think was installed by the original owner. He was a small engine mech and has since passed on. i see He broke a couple of bolt heads and used some studs to replace.

10F22E9A-5789-4B55-A266-D42C4122EF35.jpeg

0D6B609F-8F4A-4E27-8C4C-73AEFCDFB53C.jpeg

tricks of the trade bro !..lol. no you can not see the cam lobes or rocker faces without removing the rocker box. you can remove the valve spring adjuster caps, crank it over to see if you are getting oil to the top end. tighten up the decompression cable lever some, lever should not wiggle ?, if it wiggles ?, then its bouncing on the exhaust valve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Wow that motor looks really good.   I hate to say it but it might be the prettiest motor I ever seen in one of them ....    Let’s hope the previous builder  didn’t skimp.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow that motor looks really good.   I hate to say it but it might be the prettiest motor I ever seen in one of them ....    Let’s hope the previous builder  didn’t skimp.  

why you little traitor !!..rofl. what about all my silver engines ??..hmmm..lol.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

why you little traitor !!..rofl. what about all my silver engines ??..hmmm..lol.

You got to admit that is clean.  Even though I think black holds the heat and can cut down on life expectancy.  I am a bit into bling ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Fishfiles said:

You got to admit that is clean.  Even though I think black holds the heat and can cut down on life expectancy.  I am a bit into blink. 

yeah..you and yer bling...lol. yes..goober does clean them up well. some of the oem heads came from the factory already black, not many though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

some of the cylinders were blacked to... i believe ?  mine on my 86 wasn't ... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Maybe the Blacks Head were HighOutput.  Lol Little more duration and lift.  Honda line / MotorSport incognito. Might be about as rare as an elephant turd in a canary cage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You got lots of wear left in that cam chain Goober, that one is in new condition!

 

7 hours ago, Goober said:

i also noticed that the decomp lever wiggles just a bit while running. Manual calls for 1-3mm? play in cable. Maybe i don’t have enough play in it? I could try backing it off a skosh.

 

Yup, the cable doesn't have enough slack in it. Give it another 1/16".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...