F250 guy

Steering bushing redo.

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Here’s the page from my 08 Foreman it’s pretty specific. There are flags in the illustrations showing exactly what compound to use. Very helpful 

what I appreciate most is — there’s no single grease you can buy that will work on suspension, brakes, bearings, ES and EPS systems. 

1A74ECD7-D641-4CDF-8FF7-537F0AB9DAF7.jpeg

Go to the page about the steering bushing and look where it just says grease lol. They don't even use their own specs 😂

Capture.PNG

Edited by oh400ex

42 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Go to the page about the steering bushing and look where it just says grease lol. They don't even use their own specs 😂

Capture.PNG

I agree it’s not clear in this illustration but the preceeding illustration says to use moly grease. Knowing it’s not a ball bearing, thats what I would use.
or you could use “grease” as in GP grease—i think that’s intent anyway 

0B8040DB-1E21-4A23-AA48-6FD3F15838B6.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

This is for poly bushings but you might find it interesting if you want to dive into grease vs grease further.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, oh400ex said:

This is for poly bushings but you might find it interesting if you want to dive into grease vs grease further.

How do you grease a bushing without disassembling it—like when you’re doing the 1200 mile inspection?

29 minutes ago, Goober said:

How do you grease a bushing without disassembling it—like when you’re doing the 1200 mile inspection?

If there is not a zerk... you don't unfortunately.

Silicone spray lube would be a good alternative to nothing.

I greased the upper bushing on the Foreman I am fixing currently with just some tub of bearing grease he had laying around and it is great again. 

Your cleaning of the grime and dust with the proper reassembly is more important than which grease is used.

FYI Moly grease is not what they mean when the service manual just says "grease".

Specifically they say...

Use multi-purpose grease (lithium based multi-purpose grease NLGI #2 or equivalent)

I'm not saying that some moly grease doesn't also fit that bill but they do make somewhat of a delineation. 

We are getting into the weeds here 😂

Capture.PNG

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Thanks, ok then i will do the best i can.
sprayed some silicone spray you recommended after i wiped all the dirt off. Then i squirted some lithium grease into the sides of the bushing bracket.

yeah i thot about the grease term and figured the same. Seems the manual will state moly or silicone is needed otherwise “grease” which means the multipurpose lithium base. It took me awhile to get that😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

Thanks, ok then i will do the best i can.
sprayed some silicone spray you recommended after i wiped all the dirt off. Then i squirted some lithium grease into the sides of the bushing bracket.

yeah i thot about the grease term and figured the same. Seems the manual will state moly or silicone is needed otherwise “grease” which means the multipurpose lithium base. It took me awhile to get that😁

Nice work on it overall! They should be super thrilled.

Even kept the stickers intact!

Edit: Whoops. Right guy but wrong thread!

Edited by oh400ex

@Goober if the 08 (which i have had no dealings with) is like the 300... just loosen the clamp bolts and dab in the grease in, on the inside, and outside of the bushing ... stay away from that no load spray lube ...it has no load bearing film strength...  NLGI. 3 is what is needed. 

• Like 1

Have been using Shell product specifically for steel on steel marine use. Marine here is salt water.  Works well.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

Have been using Shell product specifically for steel on steel marine use. Marine here is salt water.  Works well.

what do you put in the bushing to steering shaft though ?, cuz its rubber on steel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

what do you put in the bushing to steering shaft though ?, cuz its rubber on steel.

Hi Shade . . . . have been using it on the steering shaft also.  An application to both '99's a few years ago . . . still lubed.

But, both of my machines don't get the hard use that other machines may get.

• Like 4