Blue1991

2007 420es. Stuck in reverse.

Alright I’m new here trying to figure this out. 

so I was riding normal riding on my hunting lease. 5th gear easing along all of a sudden it stops like the rear end locked up. Got it home and got it into neutral and the shift motor lets it shift up and down reverse works perfect but it’s also in reverse in neutral and every other forward gear. Just trying to figure out if it may be something simple or if it’s going to be something internal. Shift motor works perfect also. Any help would awesome! 

Edited by Blue1991

Yeah it will I put an 8mm socket and got it to shift up and down but it’s still in reverse. Even in neutral when the light is green and the gear position says N where it should be in neutral it still is in reverse when you give it throttle. 

5 hours ago, Blue1991 said:

Yeah it will I put an 8mm socket and got it to shift up and down but it’s still in reverse. Even in neutral when the light is green and the gear position says N where it should be in neutral it still is in reverse when you give it throttle. 

you need to find neutral with the key off, forget what the display and green light says. if its going in reverse when you hit the throttle ?, then chances are, the shift drum has it in reverse. and the gear position switch is messed up, making the display and neutral light come on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok I’ll try that. Thanks. 

Thing that has me confused is when I put it in first manually it also like it’s in a bind almost like it’s stuck between gears if that makes sense. Like it wants to go forward but it’s still in reverse. 

Edited by Blue1991

11 hours ago, Blue1991 said:

Ok I’ll try that. Thanks. 

Thing that has me confused is when I put it in first manually it also like it’s in a bind almost like it’s stuck between gears if that makes sense. Like it wants to go forward but it’s still in reverse. 

then you very well could have some gears/gear forks/shift drum messed up inside the motor.

• Like 3

Sounds like a bad shift fork/gear in the transmission. There can be many things that can cause the damage but it's a complete tear down of the motor to inspect the gears. It's not the first one I've seen that the reverse gear was engaged with the forward gears (that machine was not worth fixing though).

• Like 3