Blue1991

2007 420es. Stuck in reverse.

Alright I’m new here trying to figure this out. 

so I was riding normal riding on my hunting lease. 5th gear easing along all of a sudden it stops like the rear end locked up. Got it home and got it into neutral and the shift motor lets it shift up and down reverse works perfect but it’s also in reverse in neutral and every other forward gear. Just trying to figure out if it may be something simple or if it’s going to be something internal. Shift motor works perfect also. Any help would awesome! 

Edited by Blue1991

Yeah it will I put an 8mm socket and got it to shift up and down but it’s still in reverse. Even in neutral when the light is green and the gear position says N where it should be in neutral it still is in reverse when you give it throttle. 

5 hours ago, Blue1991 said:

Yeah it will I put an 8mm socket and got it to shift up and down but it’s still in reverse. Even in neutral when the light is green and the gear position says N where it should be in neutral it still is in reverse when you give it throttle. 

you need to find neutral with the key off, forget what the display and green light says. if its going in reverse when you hit the throttle ?, then chances are, the shift drum has it in reverse. and the gear position switch is messed up, making the display and neutral light come on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok I’ll try that. Thanks. 

Thing that has me confused is when I put it in first manually it also like it’s in a bind almost like it’s stuck between gears if that makes sense. Like it wants to go forward but it’s still in reverse. 

Edited by Blue1991

11 hours ago, Blue1991 said:

Ok I’ll try that. Thanks. 

Thing that has me confused is when I put it in first manually it also like it’s in a bind almost like it’s stuck between gears if that makes sense. Like it wants to go forward but it’s still in reverse. 

then you very well could have some gears/gear forks/shift drum messed up inside the motor.

• Like 3

Sounds like a bad shift fork/gear in the transmission. There can be many things that can cause the damage but it's a complete tear down of the motor to inspect the gears. It's not the first one I've seen that the reverse gear was engaged with the forward gears (that machine was not worth fixing though).

• Like 3

Alright so I got the engine tore down. found that the bushing that reverse gear and first gear rides on had welded itself to the gears.  so they were both trying to turn at the same time. New issue is now that I’ve got it all back together, when I turn the key on the neutral light blinks 8 times. Code said could be shift motor, angle sensor or the wires that control them. I’ve read a little but haven’t made much headway on the angle sensor. Some that I’ve read says has to be put in a certain way then turned to line up bolt holes some say put it in and do a series of steps with the shift buttons and the key. Wondering if you guys might could help me out here again. 

Shift motor was shifting through gears fine before just was stuck in reverse due to gears in the trans being locked up. Checked shift motor with a hot and ground and shift motor works. 

Edited by Blue1991

On 12/9/2020 at 6:54 PM, Blue1991 said:

Alright so I got the engine tore down. found that the bushing that reverse gear and first gear rides on had welded itself to the gears.  so they were both trying to turn at the same time. New issue is now that I’ve got it all back together, when I turn the key on the neutral light blinks 8 times. Code said could be shift motor, angle sensor or the wires that control them. I’ve read a little but haven’t made much headway on the angle sensor. Some that I’ve read says has to be put in a certain way then turned to line up bolt holes some say put it in and do a series of steps with the shift buttons and the key. Wondering if you guys might could help me out here again. 

Shift motor was shifting through gears fine before just was stuck in reverse due to gears in the trans being locked up. Checked shift motor with a hot and ground and shift motor works. 

you will need to put the motor back in the frame, use the 8mm stud at the front to put the tranny in neutral, once this is done, install the angle sensor on the end of the shifting shaft ( it only fits on way ), carefully rotate the angle sensor clockwise to line up the bolt holes, this should get your neutral light to stay on and solid.

• Like 2

@Blue1991 None of that has to be done on this model. The angle sensor just slide onto the shaft and there is no initializing procedure on the ES. Double check your connections to make sure they are all connected securely and no pins slid out of the connectors. If the motor has been ran, manually shift it threw the gears to make sure everything is working properly on the mechanical side. I know some shops are just sheds so if there is any chance a mouse could have nested somewhere and chewed on some wiring look it over really good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wiring is good haven’t ran the engine yet but I can manually shift it through all the gears and it reads the gears on the dash. I’m leaning towards the angle sensor. Going to test it when I get home that should tell me if it’s good or bad if I’m correct. Thanks again guys for all the help. 

• Like 1