Wheeler

Clutch Replacement.

do me a favor bro..go to partzilla, pull up your year/make/model atv, look up the flywheel clutch ( alternator ), look at the one-way clutch bearing, then go to the clutch fich, look at the one-way bearing that sits inside the drum..DO THEY LOOK THE SAME TOO YOU ????.

20 bucks says you bought ( they sold you ) the starter side bearing ?, and you think you have the clutch bearing !..lol.

7 minutes ago, shadetree said:

thanks..ok..now tell me..how the heck you set this down in the drum ????, because this bearing is not the correct bearing !!, this is the starter side one-way bearing bro, IT WILL NOT FIT CORRECTLY IN THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH DRUM !. from what i gather ?..who ever the freak sold you what '' they thought '' ?, or only could get their hands on ??!!..sold you the starter side one-way clutch bearing !, reason : BECAUSE THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH ONE-WAY BEARING IS DISCONTINUED TODAY !!. sooo..i'd really love to know how the heck you set this down inside the centrifugal clutch drum ??!!!..AND IT BE CORRECT !..LOL.

Well I must be a one off... ya man it fit.. like I said, It fit rite on.. worked great, even with the lip.. it didn't impede anything, at all...

Yes I know the reverse cable is working correctly because I installed it correctly this time around.. 

You know what shadetree.. maybe, just maybe, you can learn from me on this one.. I mean it fit on & worked perfect.. I dunno what else to say... 

I don't need to go to Partzilla & do that.. here is a pic of the one I took out. I KNOW I have (they sold me the starter bearing) even thought I told them clutch bearing.. didn't know they were discontinued like you say...

340B897A-1D1C-452F-A18D-84E43239B932.jpeg

20159045-B307-42EB-85F5-AEBC8CD1D49A.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Well I must be a one off... ya man it fit.. like I said, It fit rite on.. worked great, even with the lip.. it didn't impede anything, at all...

Yes I know the reverse cable is working correctly because I installed it correctly this time around.. 

You know what shadetree.. maybe, just maybe, you can learn from me on this one.. I mean it fit on & worked perfect.. I dunno what else to say... 

I don't need to go to Partzilla & do that.. here is a pic of the one I took out. I KNOW I have (they sold me the starter bearing) even thought I told them clutch bearing.. didn't know they were discontinued like you say...

lol, i'd love to see this sitting down inside the clutch drum !!..lol. i don't know how you got it to fit ??..but hey..if it works ?..great !..but..question is..FOR HOW LONG ??..LOL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

they sold you that bearing...because the clutch bearing is discontinued..thats why !..lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wheeler said:

340B897A-1D1C-452F-A18D-84E43239B932.jpeg

20159045-B307-42EB-85F5-AEBC8CD1D49A.jpeg

now this is a one-way clutch bearing, and i see you edited this post !..lol. this bearing, and the one they sold you..is two different bearings !..lol.

image.pngimage.png

the starter clutch one way bearing #3  that is in the flange and bolts to the back of the flywheel is no longer available from Honda , the centrifical clutch one way bearing #26 is still available -------  could the bearing on both sides be the same or similar and the mounting flange of the starter clutch side be the difference  ----my 95 300 engine is apart and on the table right now , the flywheel is still off and the clutch is still out , I could snap some pics and take some measurements ----I know Wheeler seems like he is by this ,  could  be good to know in the future  

• Like 1

I just read a bunch but not all of you'll chat , read about the lobs being the same but the cages different , going to try and take a look at them two bearings today , but  have company coming again today 

I typed in one way bearing for Honda 300 on e-bay , there are a lot of after market out there , clutch or starter side , to me many  are misleading in their description of the part  and looking at the pics the cage looks the same in both the flanged starter side and the no flange clutch side --------- seen them going as cheap as $15 , must be real good quality China stuff , LOL 

• Like 1

It’s been driving me nuts.. kept waking up thinking about all of this.. I tipped the quad back up to get the oil in the other side. I’m pulling it back apart. Getting pictures, & going to sand down the clutch weights because I can’t have my quad moving in gear. With higher stall weights it should be able to use more rpm before they engage. So I just need some more clearance. 

Edited by Wheeler

I had said I thought taking out some of the I.D. of the drum when you flapper wheeled it down , might have had an effect on performance and made it not grab as good , could only imagine if it had not been smoothed out , it would have been even tighter than it is 

• Like 1

There is how it sits... gonna drink this coffee & think about the best way to do this..! kick starter popped off this time. Don’t worry I got the washer lol

1DAA1CB0-7BD0-41D8-9F68-DDC03E90B396.jpeg

Here’s the bearing. Fits rite in, arrow rite wayy too. YesShade was rite. The lip on the other cage held it out. Just popped the other bearing in clutch sits deeper. I’ll re use the old bearing. I’m not swapping lobes out. Now to do something with the fibers...

6F900126-C914-4DFD-AA08-279E858A5D05.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

I'm on my 4th cup of coffee myself , my mind ain't thinking right yet , did your Friday night yesterday in the evening 

these are a copy of pics off e-bay of non OEM bearings , the cages are different , seems your looks like the flywheel side bearing , it has a lip 

image.pngimage.png

• Haha 1

Yup good times. $80 spring... I accidentally broke the spring on the old bearing. Needed the one off the flywheel bearing.. oh how I love this. I’m going back in house for another coffee...

2EE94FB5-0AC8-43E1-A023-1A2D47B16A19.jpeg

Well I looked at things.. I tried swapping the new weights to the OEM backing plate. I then measured everything.. she was tight. I highly the weights with a 120 flapper wheel. Kept the grooves for the oil. It’s still tight but spins freely.. so gonna have to try it. 

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Yup good times. $80 spring... I accidentally broke the spring on the old bearing. Needed the one off the flywheel bearing.. oh how I love this. I’m going back in house for another coffee...

2EE94FB5-0AC8-43E1-A023-1A2D47B16A19.jpeg

pretty sure you can use the spring from the other bearing ?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

image.pngimage.png

the starter clutch one way bearing #3  that is in the flange and bolts to the back of the flywheel is no longer available from Honda , the centrifical clutch one way bearing #26 is still available -------  could the bearing on both sides be the same or similar and the mounting flange of the starter clutch side be the difference  ----my 95 300 engine is apart and on the table right now , the flywheel is still off and the clutch is still out , I could snap some pics and take some measurements ----I know Wheeler seems like he is by this ,  could  be good to know in the future  

fish is correct, i had it backwards on which one is discontinued.

• Like 2

Got it back together. Doesn’t move in gear now. May have to adjust the clutch on the side as I messed with it yesterday. I’ll do that when I load it up tomorrow. Yes the spring worked perfect on the old bearing. 

so now we know. Do NOT use the flywheel bearing on the clutch side. IF u ever replace the weights with aftermarket ones, u may need to sand them down to fit. All good now guys. 

thanks for all the help/advice/input!

• Like 5

Just now, Wheeler said:

Got it back together. Doesn’t move in gear now. May have to adjust the clutch on the side as I messed with it yesterday. I’ll do that when I load it up tomorrow. Yes the spring worked perfect on the old bearing. 

so now we know. Do NOT use the flywheel bearing on the clutch side. IF u ever replace the weights with aftermarket ones, u may need to sand them down to fit. All good now guys. 

thanks for all the help/advice/input!

good deal, now...is the check in the mail ?..lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

good deal, now...is the check in the mail ?..lol.

I contribute to the donations.. that count? Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wheeler said:

I contribute to the donations.. that count? Lol

yes sir !..lol.

• Like 2

I think I will have a Labatt Lite today to celebrate with you , long distance 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said: