TolarATV

Rancher 350ES Speedometer LCD Repair by Member@AKATV! Awesome

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

2001 meters for the trx450fm did not have a 4x4 light on far right side, why ?..because they were full time four wheel drive. in 2002-2004, honda put the front drive system electronic engage from the switch on throttle.

Hi Shade

I wasn’t sure on your comment on this regarding the LED lights but the reason I had previously posted the incorrect model was because the Rancher 350 ES 2WD and Foreman 450S models have four corner mounting screws on backplate/ circuit card as well as 3 LEDS

The other electronic shift models for both Rancher 350 ES 4x4 and Foreman 450ES have 8 back plate mounting screws regardless of whether they have three or four LEDs (for the 450)

-AKATV

No, it is a quad with electronic transmission, 450 ES version, now about the wires, I apologize, I don't know how it happened but the wires discolored in the sun, wtf the sun doesn't shine there haha, I don't know how it happened but, yes I have current in both cables what you described to me, I checked the pins on the board and they look soldered in very good condition 

Post a picture of your ATV as well as

the backside of your circuit board and the lower gray plug for the speedometer 
The speedometer pictured is not a speedometer for the Foreman 450ES model,

It is for the foreman 450S foot shift OR Rancher 350ES 2WD
They are not compatible and are completely different.

The lower plugs are also completely different and will not interchange, so I’m at a loss right now for explaining how this is wired up

Either you have the make and model on your machine incorrect or you have the wrong speedometer mounted on this machine

(If the pictures of the wiring that I posted up above showing you the correct colors matches yours- it was for a foreman 450S foot shift speedometer)

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

So I have no idea what is happening haha, I attach photos to go final and discover what the ! is happeningIMG_20231106_111602_edit_67479203782410.jpg

IMG_20231106_111524_edit_67497273953241.jpg

IMG_20231106_111812_edit_67427151935022.jpg

IMG_20231106_111615.jpg

IMG_20231106_111331.jpg

IMG_20231106_111432.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Keven

It LOOKS like someone might have tried to put a Rancher 350 2WD meter on this- it wont work

Do you see any wiring splices and tape in between the lower grey plug and upper speedometer assembly?

AKATV

Oh really? It's supposed to come out like that again, I don't know what would happen, there's no way it could come like that from the factory?

And as I said before, it turned on a couple of times and worked very well, only then did it turn off and not turn on again

I have been working on these particular Honda ATVs for over 25 years and repairing the speedometers for over 12 and have never seen this speedometer on this model

I have seen a LOT of patched together attempts, so would not be surprised if this was spliced in.

If not, it might be one of the Canadian model variants, I have seen a few that are different than the US models

With that being said, if it was working before, it would seem that you have a power issue or component failure issue on the circuit board

If you checked your voltage at the pins on the circuit board and were using the green ground top pin on the board for ground then it would appear

your voltages are good and the board is at fault

If you would like to send it to me, I can inspect and evaluate what the problem is and there is no charge for that, other than shipping

Post a picture of the inside of the speedometer top cover, there should be code in there and I can look up what model it fits it will be ABS, AES or similar

it is located by the oil temp red lens area on the inside of the speedometer cover

-AKATV

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 2:48 PM, AKATV said:

Hi Shade

I wasn’t sure on your comment on this regarding the LED lights but the reason I had previously posted the incorrect model was because the Rancher 350 ES 2WD and Foreman 450S models have four corner mounting screws on backplate/ circuit card as well as 3 LEDS

The other electronic shift models for both Rancher 350 ES 4x4 and Foreman 450ES have 8 back plate mounting screws regardless of whether they have three or four LEDs (for the 450)

-AKATV

hi ya akatv, i was pointing out, the early version trx450fe does not have a 4x4 light on the dash, because its full time 4x4. i do not recall if they had speedo and gear position on them back then ?, seems like my memory is gettng worse !..lol. what i do know for a fact is: from 1998 to 2001, all trx450's from ele shift to manual shift , none of them had the eletronic front 4x4 on them, as all of them were full time four wheel drive. seems like the electric shifts had the speedo sensor in the back too ?, unlike the 2002-2004 models when they moved them to the front diff's, come to think of it..there are 2 speedo sensors on the fronr dff's on the later models. also, the later model trx450fm does not have gear position showing on the dash. most of the trx450's are '' almost '' the same ?, but they changed a few things here and there.

Yep Shade, you’re exactly right
Part of the problem I run into with members and customers is they go on eBay and they pick up a speedometer that looks the same because it has three LEDs and the same style top cover and unfortunately there’s like four different ones that look the same but they will not interchange

-AKATV

• Like 2

In fact, I found a joint in the harness🤬🤬, you were right, apparently it is not its original speedometer but some time ago it did work, how strange.  Furthermore, it also has both voltages with the same ground and nothing works except the backlight, so practically nothing can be done, right?  About shipping it, I'm not from the US, shipping would probably be more expensive than the speedometer itself 😅😅

The text says "HONDA CASE>ABS< LENS>PC<" IMG_20231106_182433.jpg

I figured you would find it spliced together, as there was no other way it would be possible

That top cover is 100% for a foreman 450S model, so most likely the speedometer is too, especially if it looks

like it has not been apart before.That would mean you never had a gear position indicator on the display

as the 450S models only show, speed and miles/hours on the display

I did not realize you were out of country, so definitely not cost effective to ship, plus its wrong meter anyways

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

52 minutes ago, Keven said:

In fact, I found a joint in the harness🤬🤬, you were right, apparently it is not its original speedometer but some time ago it did work, how strange.  Furthermore, it also has both voltages with the same ground and nothing works except the backlight, so practically nothing can be done, right?  About shipping it, I'm not from the US, shipping would probably be more expensive than the speedometer itself 😅😅

The text says "HONDA CASE>ABS< LENS>PC<" IMG_20231106_182433.jpg

look over on powersports nation, see if they have the correct used meter, and they ship to you ?.

So the only option is to buy a new speedometer?  And how can I look for it locally, how to distinguish which one it really must have, some part number or serial number

@AKATV

@shadetree

I don’t have all  the info handy with me here but I’ll post  pictures and model/ part numbers

I’m away from the shop and on my mobile phone

Basically the 98 to 2001 model foreman 450 ES speedometer will work with what you have

You might need a harness as well since yours has been cut and spliced

9 hours ago, Keven said:

So the only option is to buy a new speedometer?  And how can I look for it locally, how to distinguish which one it really must have, some part number or serial number

@AKATV

@shadetree

i just checked with rocky mountain atv, they look to be discontinued. your only option is used at this point. all i have is used fm used meters for manual shifts, these won't work on the es models. i did a quick search on ebay, did not see any used speedo's for your model.

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

Acabo de consultar con Rocky Mountain ATV y parecen descontinuados. su única opción se utiliza en este punto. Todo lo que tengo son medidores usados de FM para cambios manuales, estos no funcionan en los modelos es. Hice una búsqueda rápida en eBay y no vi ningún velocímetro usado para su modelo.

That doesn't sound good to me at all haha, so I practically have no options?  

In any case, look me for a used quad around the city and remove the speedometer? 

13 hours ago, AKATV said:

No tengo toda la información a mano aquí, pero publicaré fotos y números de modelo/pieza.

Estoy fuera de la tienda y en mi teléfono móvil.

Básicamente, el velocímetro Foreman 450 ES modelo 98 a 2001 funcionará con lo que tienes.

Es posible que también necesites un arnés, ya que el tuyo ha sido cortado y empalmado.

Ok, I'll stay tuned, in the meantime I really appreciate the help, the time you took to see my case and get to the end of this

I have a 2006 rancher 350 ES. The engine and all is in good shape, but someone evidently let the machine sit outside a lot. Anyway, the LCD on the gauge cluster is broken and the cover piece is also broke out. The backlight works fine, but the screen is destroyed. I was looking for a replacement, but can't afford the price they are commanding. I got to looking at universal replacements and ran across one on Amazon for another ATV maker I never heard of. It looks very similar and I thought it may be a suitable substitute. It's listed as a Ja-All unit for Linhai brand ATVs. I'll try to upload pics. The main obstacle is to figure out the wiring in the original unit and which wires may correspond to this one.

Linhai gauge Cluster 1.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 2.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 3.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 4.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 5.jpg

31 minutes ago, opelken said:

I have a 2006 rancher 350 ES. The engine and all is in good shape, but someone evidently let the machine sit outside a lot. Anyway, the LCD on the gauge cluster is broken and the cover piece is also broke out. The backlight works fine, but the screen is destroyed. I was looking for a replacement, but can't afford the price they are commanding. I got to looking at universal replacements and ran across one on Amazon for another ATV maker I never heard of. It looks very similar and I thought it may be a suitable substitute. It's listed as a Ja-All unit for Linhai brand ATVs. I'll try to upload pics. The main obstacle is to figure out the wiring in the original unit and which wires may correspond to this one.

Linhai gauge Cluster 1.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 2.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 3.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 4.jpg

Linhai gauge cluster 5.jpg

it's china junk, don't bother !. honda hates china parts.

I concur with Shadetree above

I also want to add, I’ve had a few customers the last couple years that I’ve tried to wire in different and or aftermarket speedometers and it ended up killing their electronic control unit for shifting on the ES models

I only know of a few instances, but I don’t think it’s worth taking the chance,  those electronic control units are a pretty penny nowadays

If I was going to attempt it I would at least try to do it on a foot shift model

These cheap garbage China parts on eBay end jump causing more problems, headaches and money than anything else out there

-AKATV

Thank you for your reply. As an authority on these gauge clusters, coul I send you pics to see if you think mine is repairable? It's pretty bad, but the quad starts, runs, and shifts well. I don't want to mess that up.

You can post a few pics or you can send them to me and I can take a look and most likely let you know what the prospects are

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

-AKATV

My display shows everything except what gear i'am in,Any help with this,I see member AKATV repairs,this is my first time on this site.Thank any one with help.

Edited by MAR1949

On 11/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, AKATV said:

You can post a few pics or you can send them to me and I can take a look and most likely let you know what the prospects are

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

-AKATV

I saw your post my 2000 rancher display is bright and clear it does not show what gear I'am in,thanks for any help