TolarATV

Rancher 350ES Speedometer LCD Repair by Member@AKATV! Awesome

I’ll go ahead and send my contact information to your message box and you should be able to reply to it
AKATV

3 minutes ago, Lostpinesmotorsport said:

Ditto on the same problem! Display screen can’t be read everything out for work

If you’d like to contact me for repair, I’ll send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV

Hey @AKATV, how many meters you think you've fixed since you started doing it?  It's cool as ! that you're keeping so many older machines serviceable and in good shape, especially given the increasing rarity of working displays.

Hi Jeep!

It’s been probably been 12 years I think or more since I’ve been repairing them -not sure on the number -I seem to get one or two a month-ish
Don’t get me wrong, I have a whole LOT of people contacting me, a lot of the times I’m able to just walk them through repairs by troubleshooting on text/ phone to find out they have a burned harness pins, blown fuses or electrical issues etc.

The majority of the repairs that I DO complete seem to be the UV/ Sun damage to the displays or sourcing replacement circuit cards for water damaged units and various discontinued parts or reprogramming dropped or corrupted data 

I will tell you for sure that availability, even for rebuildable parts units, is quickly drying up which is unfortunate. I have a great fondness for the older Honda machines and I think, at least in my opinion, they seem to be built better or have a better build quality if you know what I mean.

Thats another reason this forum is so awesome, helping everybody keep these older Honda machines on the road.

I really don’t think there’s a better knowledge base out there than ours

atvhonda.com rocks! whoop! whoop! 😀

-AKATV

• Like 2

I'm just going on the number of people coming here looking for you.  I know I refer quite a few here from bookface who are looking for meters, and I point out that they can be repaired and tell them to come here and find you.

I like the fact that even as these older machines have parts availability dry up, the components can be repaired instead of just giving up on them.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Let me know what you have going on and maybe post a few pictures with it powered up and your headlights turned on so so the display will be illuminated, and we can better see the LCD and I can let you know what you need

I will also send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into having a repair completed

-AKATV

Welcome to the forum!

I will send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into a repair

-AKATV

Welcome to the forum!

Let me know what you have going on with your meter and post a few pictures ,that way I can more accurately determine what repairs you need 

I will send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV

@AKATV I hope you can help me. 2003 trx350es display screen shows nothing. I'll get you some pics tomorrow. I bought for my girls as a xmas present. I'm going through and fixing everything but the dash shows nothing

Hi Big Red,  welcome to the forum!

I’m sure that I can help you out.
I’ll wait to see the photos to see what you have going on.

I’ll send my direct contact information to your message box as well

-AKATV

Good morning, I have a 2001 Foreman Es 450 and its screen does not show anything, no light except the oil check light and the backlight of the screen, it does not show anything else, no number, no neutral or reverse light, but it does like 1 year everything turned on perfectly and then a month ago too, after that never again, there are no signs of humidity inside, not even dust, in addition all the connections that carry power and ground, for example the neutral and reverse lights, are working@AKATV

Welcome to the forum Keven

I would remove top cover and post a picture 

with the backlight on

Have you checked the lower speedometer plug for corroded pins?

If you have a multimeter, I can tell you what to check

You could also have a fractured solder joint on the board causing an intermittent connection

Check the red/ black wire and the brown/ black wire for battery voltage with key on

I would confirm power at lower speedometer plug as well as at both the top and bottom sides of circuit card using green as ground

Let us know what you find

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Dang @AKATV, looks like you're bringing in quite the audience!  LOL

I've been referring people on bookface here who post WTB ads or ask where they can find a meter for these older machines.

I'm glad you're helping keeping the old machines functional!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jeep,

I sure appreciate your help in getting the word out!

Hunting season seems to be a key time when

everyone notices their maintenance issues

and I get an increase of repair requests…lol

Sometimes I sweep a few of the other forums to see if anyone is posting issues and tell them to  join up over here for better help, but I don’t do too much on social media, so I surely appreciate it

-AKATV

• Like 1

@AKATVI attach some photos that you asked me for, about the cables, the red/gray cable I have a constant 12v in the black/gray cable I have 12v when I turn the key to ignition

IMG_20231104_172451.jpg

IMG_20231104_172745.jpg

IMG_20231104_172750.jpg

Looks like this meter is for a 2 wheel drive Rancher 350 right?

Make sure you have power at the red/black wire and the brown/black wire at the plug on the board and then also at the pins on the opposite side

you could have a fractured solder joint that’s causing you a power issue as what it looks like to me

if it’s not that, then you could possibly have a failed card or dropped programming.

I would need the card in order to be able to evaluate that. 

-AKATV

No, it is a 2001 Foreman 450 and 4x4, I do not have any red/black or brown/black wire in the plug, only the wire described above and the voltage in those same ones

Something else I can check and where those wire are supposed to be from, what can you tell me?

Sorry what I meant to say previously is that this was a 450 foot shift and not electric shift, correct?

On your two lines that you have positive voltage with the key on, make sure that you have those voltages at the plug side of the board as well as on the top side at the soldered pins as well

are you using the ground from the harness

( green wire) or are you using body ground or negative terminal at the battery?

Let me know what you find and we can take it from there

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

19 hours ago, AKATV said:

Looks like this meter is for a 2 wheel drive Rancher 350 right?

Make sure you have power at the red/black wire and the brown/black wire at the plug on the board and then also at the pins on the opposite side

you could have a fractured solder joint that’s causing you a power issue as what it looks like to me

if it’s not that, then you could possibly have a failed card or dropped programming.

I would need the card in order to be able to evaluate that. 

-AKATV

2001 meters for the trx450fm did not have a 4x4 light on far right side, why ?..because they were full time four wheel drive. in 2002-2004, honda put the front drive system electronic engage from the switch on throttle.

55 minutes ago, Keven said:

No, it is a 2001 Foreman 450 and 4x4, I do not have any red/black or brown/black wire in the plug, only the wire described above and the voltage in those same ones

Something else I can check and where those wire are supposed to be from, what can you tell me?

If you have a 2001 foreman 450 4 x 4, your wiring should look like the below pictures

-you can clearly see the red/black wire and the black/brown wire. These are your two positive wires that I was talking about

In the second picture, the black/brown wire is the top row, right
In the same picture, the second row left wire is your red/black wire

Use the green wire to check that it has proper ground coming through the harness

Once you verify the voltages at the lower plug,

verify the voltages up at the top harness plug shown in the 3rd/4th pictures

If you have the voltage at the plug there, then make sure you have them on the top solder pins

on the circuit card

If the colors on your wires are not matching up or you have other issues let me know

-AKATV

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2421.jpeg