_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

20230906_181257.jpgOk so here's my wood making stuff. The Rancher55 is mine and the 40 volt Worx saw is the wife's but it's actually really handy out in the yard. Have a Foreman and trailer that I used to use for fetching until I got the Pioneer.

20230906_181105.jpg

20230906_181341.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kipes said:

20230906_181257.jpgOk so here's my wood making stuff. The Rancher55 is mine and the 40 volt Worx saw is the wife's but it's actually really handy out in the yard. Have a Foreman and trailer that I used to use for fetching until I got the Pioneer.

20230906_181105.jpg

20230906_181341.jpg

Just about a twin to my 35 ton... I got everything i could for mine... Tarp, slip on 4 wedge... Magnetic oil plugs, magnet for the hydro oil, both of the side racks.. Hitch lock, fenders ... Spacer foot plate... Has a tach hour meter.. And a level bubble... Do you level the engine before you check the oil, you notice the tool bar is about level, but the engine is titled ? Down in the front ? I also level the engine (not the tool bar)  when i get set to bust wood... Nice spitter you got! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Just about a twin to my 35 ton... I got everything i could for mine... Tarp, slip on 4 wedge... Magnetic oil plugs, magnet for the hydro oil, both of the side racks.. Hitch lock, fenders ... Spacer foot plate... Has a tach hour meter.. And a level bubble... Do you level the engine before you check the oil, you notice the tool bar is about level, but the engine is titled ? Down in the front ? I also level the engine (not the tool bar)  when i get set to bust wood... Nice spitter you got! 

I only changed the oil a couple times but I did have it on concrete(in my garage) but thanks for the heads up on that. I did get one side table because I got tired of walking around to pick the other half off of the ground lol.

• Like 2

Are you using Kohlar oil ? I did rearch on these engines... They call for a higher level of zinc...  I have no idea why.. @SamUKgave me good advise of those engines...IMO  They are way better then briggs and other small 4 cycle engines..... For a single cylinder engine they are smooth running not a single hiccup / stutter  have i ever heard from mine no matter how far down i go with the rpm..  

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Kipes...

Without being any more specific then you want to be, where in the UP are you located?  I am only asking because I have a hunting camp in the UP and would like to start using it as a base camp for atv trail riding up there.

• Like 1

+10 for the Fiskers.  I also recommend the new Council Tool 5# splitting axe.  It's around $70.  American made and high quality for the price.  I have purchased 2 Council Tool tools and recommend both of them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Are you using Kohlar oil ? I did rearch on these engines... They call for a higher level of zinc...  I have no idea why.. @SamUKgave me good advise of those engines...IMO  They are way better then briggs and other small 4 cycle engines..... For a single cylinder engine they are smooth running not a single hiccup / stutter  have i ever heard from mine no matter how far down i go with the rpm..  

The engine manual doesn't say anything about the brand of oil, just viscosity. And yes they are smooth running.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

Kipes...

Without being any more specific then you want to be, where in the UP are you located?  I am only asking because I have a hunting camp in the UP and would like to start using it as a base camp for atv trail riding up there.

Copper Island better known as the Keweenaw. 

• Like 1

OK you're up there a bit further.  We are over by Rudyard in Chippewa County.  Do you happen to ride in that area at all? Are there any good resources for me with info for the UP?  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

OK you're up there a bit further.  We are over by Rudyard in Chippewa County.  Do you happen to ride in that area at all? Are there any good resources for me with info for the UP?  Thanks in advance.

I'm a member of this club.... https://www.keweenawatvclub.com/

Here is another one I found...https://www.uproar906.com/

https://www.uptravel.com/outdoors-recreation/trails/atv/

Edited by Kipes
added links

17 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

+10 for the Fiskers.  I also recommend the new Council Tool 5# splitting axe.  It's around $70.  American made and high quality for the price.  I have purchased 2 Council Tool tools and recommend both of them.

Thanks... I'm a die hard fiskars guy... I can't be sure who all here are ... I believe retro, jeep, fish, shade, I'm sure a few others... I have an assortment of fiskars items.... The long handle spitting axe.... Mid size chopping axe the biggest bypass loopers they have, two defrent fiskars roterty sharpeners...a couple other fiskars blades... Not a single bad tool from them... Even have a pair of fiskars kitchen scissor...... Be sure to Post some pics and detail... On that brand... Fish has he wanting a chopper axe for a while...but things with health have changed my circumstance for now... I see your kinda new to the forums.... We hope you like it here and become regelure. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kipes said:

The engine manual doesn't say anything about the brand of oil, just viscosity. And yes they are smooth running.

Yes indeed smoooooth.....it's not manditory .... To use Kohlar engine oil, and i believe Sam also advised me of that... However it is recommended... I don't use the synthetic blend with zinc... I use the zinc conventional Kohlar oil. 

Kohler Genuine Oil

KOHLER synthetic-blend oil is formulated specifically for superior performance and protection in hard-working Kohler engines.

Extra zinc additive for superior wear protection and long durability

Outperforms conventional API SN oils

I put Shell Rotela in everything I own , except my Husqvarna zero turn with the Kohler engine , I bought a case of Kohler oil and filters when I bought the mower , change it every 50 hours , I have one more oil change left in stock and then it is decision time , only aacause I am hoarding  gallons of Rotela and moneys tite 

• Like 1

I've got some backup oil changes to with Kohlar oil..... I got it when the prices were more stable.... But no doubt! Rotella would be fine... I use it in just about everything... It's especaily recommended for the 4 leter inline 6 jeep engine... I think i saw that one bleepinjeep.com... One reason i believe is that that engines normal temp.. Is higher then most standard gas internal engine... Right at 200-210 is normal for those 230 during hot weather... The 3.6 is even hotter.... 

• Like 1

Here are a few pictures I had on my phone.  I can take more later.

This is the 5lb Council Tool splitting ax.  Like with all tools, there are some things it thrives at splitting and others you need a different tool for.  I also have the Council Tool 2lb Hudsun bay camp ax on 18" handle.  Its a very usefully.  

The 10 year old is a great tool to have!

Burner.jpg

CT.jpg

firewood.jpg

• Like 1

I finally have a decent log store! It'll hold about 4.5 cords of wood when full, which is enough for 2 seasons for us (maybe even more as we've had a lot of unusually hot weather lately).

I also modified my track dumper into a log splitter, so I didn't have to build one from scratch or buy one. It also means I can reinstate the dumper when I'm finished splitting. No more hand splitting🥳 I just have to change the axe head on it so it splits 4 ways for more efficieny. 

20230807_195424.jpg

Screenshot_20230909_130139_Photos.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

I finally have a decent log store! It'll hold about 4.5 cords of wood when full, which is enough for 2 seasons for us (maybe even more as we've had a lot of unusually hot weather lately).

I also modified my track dumper into a log splitter, so I didn't have to build one from scratch or buy one. It also means I can reinstate the dumper when I'm finished splitting. No more hand splitting🥳 I just have to change the axe head on it so it splits 4 ways for more efficieny. 

20230807_195424.jpg

Screenshot_20230909_130139_Photos.jpg

I like the tracked splitter , you can walk it right to the wood 

• Thanks 1

Well now you're making my wood shed look bad turbo lol.  It's 3 10x10 bays.  Each holds about 4 cords and the last is enclosed.  I keep the log splitter and other junk I don't want in the garage in that bay.

I made the pickeroon.  It has a 16" hatchet handle on it.  I like the shorter one because I'm tall and can reach most piece in the bed of my truck with it.  But because its short, I can stick it in a round, grab another with my 1 hand log tongs and carry 2 rounds at once.  

The carry-all is made from a scraped 5' blade (the blade was all mangled but the bracket was fine).  It doubles as a log skidder.  I have been impressed with what my little Massey GC tractor can pull. 

My property is pretty steep so the tractor struggles in the winter and the wet.  That's where the 300 is going to come in.  I have plans to make front and rear boxes for the honda.

Shed.jpg

Pick.jpg

Carry All.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

Thank you Kipes...

You could also try this app...https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexul.mitrale.app

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I like the tracked splitter , you can walk it right to the wood 

Correct! It also fits in the back of my van so I can bring it to any job I'm doing with ease!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

Well now you're making my wood shed look bad turbo lol.  It's 3 10x10 bays.  Each holds about 4 cords and the last is enclosed.  I keep the log splitter and other junk I don't want in the garage in that bay.

I made the pickeroon.  It has a 16" hatchet handle on it.  I like the shorter one because I'm tall and can reach most piece in the bed of my truck with it.  But because its short, I can stick it in a round, grab another with my 1 hand log tongs and carry 2 rounds at once.  

The carry-all is made from a scraped 5' blade (the blade was all mangled but the bracket was fine).  It doubles as a log skidder.  I have been impressed with what my little Massey GC tractor can pull. 

My property is pretty steep so the tractor struggles in the winter and the wet.  That's where the 300 is going to come in.  I have plans to make front and rear boxes for the honda.

Shed.jpg

Pick.jpg

Carry All.jpg

I'm not here to out-do someone elses log store🤣 I'm a carpenter and I just like a nice store.

I'm not all caught up on those picks, probably because I use a lot of machinery to do the dead work and save my back (previous injury doesn't help).

I'll take a photo of the saw horse I started using last year, it can hold logs from 1 to 16 inch diameter and anything from 1ft to 12ft long.

I'll also snap a photo of the box I made for the front of my 300, it's so handy to have as I use the 300 for run arounds since buying a 450 to do the dog work.

I like the box on the back of your tractor, what is the bar down the middle of it for? Is that a towball attachment at the very rear?

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 2