Tim-ANC

2000 Ford F150

Oh, this pickup has cancer. Next time I'm under it, I'll take a pic of some of the body gussets that are blown out. We sand the roads here. So during melts, we get a nice slurry of sand, dust, dirt, and slush slung up in the undersides of our vehicles. 

7 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Oh, this pickup has cancer. Next time I'm under it, I'll take a pic of some of the body gussets that are blown out. We sand the roads here. So during melts, we get a nice slurry of sand, dust, dirt, and slush slung up in the undersides of our vehicles. 

Figured sand would be better than the salt we get but maybe not.....

And the drivers side floor board and frame radius usually goes first too. Snow melt from shoes. I had an old F100 with a piece of ply wood on the floor board. Otherwise, my feet would have busted through the bottom.

Wire change done. No joy. Still have the same problems. Good news is I don't need to tear the top off it anymore which is about 6 hours of work. Bad news is it is probably the PCM. I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday. They quoted $150 to eval and not sure what reprogramming will cost. In all, it feels like the dealer charges will get expensive. Plus I can't drive it there because the tranny won't shift to higher gears. A tow would cost $150 and none of my friends have a trailer big enough for it.

The endeavor is is not penciling out. It's worth $3500 in good running condition. I've spent half that on the spare engine, parts, and materials. Probably 50 hours of my labor. 

Conflicted.

I just wanted this pickup to last another season. I actually need an F250 for my future needs. I hope to get a Honda Pioneer which necessitates a taller and heavier trailer. But I'm not ready to buy anything yet though logically the 3/4 ton pickup would come first.

Thinking to call the junk yard I got the engine from and see if they'll give me something for it. Heck, the BFG tires on it alone are worth $800. If I can get some money out of it, I can put that towards another rig. Camping/riding/hunting season is nigh. Clock is ticking.

• Like 2

Oh, @_Wilson_™ on my original harness, found a chafe on the oil pressure sender wire. Got me excited. However continuity check through the harness was good. Then found the wire chafed in the same spot on the replacement harness. So no wire Charly Foxtrot disaster pics for you! 😆

good deal, at least no rodent damage :-) did you get any good response back from the ford truck forums Bcs posted a link to ? 

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/2000-f150-5-4-running-rich-496777/index2/

Yes, getting some good feed back there thanks 

New discovey today running the the tests on the scanner. Tranny test, in Drive the PCM reports it's in first gear. Won't shift up at speed. However, in 2nd, the PCM recognizes that and it drives better. Albeit, only in 2nd. Can get up to 45 MPH at about 4000 RPM. Speedo still AFU, MPH checked on phone GPS. Can't drive it to the dealer that way. One road, 65 MPH highway, between me and them. There is disagreement with another sensor on the scanner about gear position. Will post pic when I download the data.

Still have all the same codes posted earlier after clearing.

Edited by Tim-ANC
  • Like 1

Do these have the notorious unreliable Ford vehicle speed sensor?  My 99 Taurus went through a few of them.  Screwed up shifts and erratic speedo readings were the clue.

• Like 1

Yes and thanks, I have that sensor and changed it. No help. Wiring checked good. I've been tempted to change a bunch of sensors that are being faulted but I know its false. Pretty certain its the PCM now. Here's the new discovery and disagreement. First image, the tranny is in Park but Gear shows 1st. Second image TransRange shows true gear position. The Gear signal will show 1st in P, R, N, and D. Shows 2nd and 1st correctly.

User049_10314194703.JPG

User051_10314194735.JPG

• Like 1

did you change that speed sencor before the new  (to you) engine ? with many of them showing fault codes I'm thinking like you, the PCM, what else have they said in the ford forums ? I'm curious as to what this issue is. 

No, I changed the VSS when I saw the speedo problem. Not chasing sensors anymore. Of the codes below, the ECT, IMCC, and CCS are components I don't have. O2 sensors test are incomplete because the exhaust manifold wasn't warm enough. Though I'm confident they are ok because they behave properly on the driveability tests. Only the VID fault seems valid.

The guys on the other forum pointed me to a company Flag Ship 1. They sell refurbed PCMs and program them to your VIN. They told me the PCM PN effective for my VIN and it matched the PN I have. PCM is $130 and free shipping to AK even. Talked to a locksmith and he said he can program the keys onsite for $100. I canceled the appointment at the dealer.

User044_10314192838.JPG

• Like 1

My PCM shipped yesterday. MIA to ANC. Pretty much all the way across North America. So in the mean time for those of you who like disaster pics.

Oil filter was full of metal particles. Found the metal strips in the bottom of the oil pan.

Edit: this was from the seized engine I replaced 

20201011_134548.jpg

20201212_160941.jpg

Edited by Tim-ANC

wow!  almost looks like the engine would have slung a rod with that much metal and internal destruction, was it low of oil, or an oil pump failure ? 

Local Ford dealer tech told me about the Obama cash for clunkers engine destruction program where they drained the oil and then refilled  the crankcase with a water based abrasive liquid to kill the engine so it couldn't ever be used for anything much more than a boat anchor.  He said the 300 six took the longest by far to die.  He said they got tired waiting around so they broomhandled the gas pedal.  It still took a long time to lock up.  I had one years back and loved that straight 6.  Other than it had no flywheel effect at all.

• Like 1

I agree, that 300 inline is one tough engine, toombs brothers dairy has an 85 ford pickup 2wd lwb 3/4 4 speed, 300, use that truck all the time, never had any bad engine trouble, other than just a water pump, and alternator every now and again, they got in a pinch one day, when a tracter they rake hay with gave out, with storms moving in, they hooked the rake up, and sent on raking hay, no telling how hot the engine got, we were just a field away doing hay ourselves, and they had sopped, and pulled the hood off, lol, and she still runs great to this very day, i drove it a few times myself talk about a solid truck as a person would would want, not a power house, but super dependable! I'd purchase if they ever would choose to put up, but they never will. 

we had a 63 n series with a gravity flow hydraulic driven auger hopper bed had a 4+2 speed, and a 240 inline 6 industrail ford plant (pic) we sold the gravity hopper bed, and shortened the frame , put a steel flat bed on and used to Pull our goose neck cattle /flat bed trailers for hauling square / round bales  / equitment, hay rollers and planters to distant farms,  one thing i didn't like was ... i wanted to keep the transmission driven hydraulic pump, to use it to make the truck into a dump bed, but my pop sold it with the hydraulic driven auger hopper bed. that engine with the transmission gearing made a good match. i think .. 65 mph was as fast as it would run. same cab (pic) but ours was white with west coast mirrors, and brown grill. never had a single issue out of it, except turn signal flashers (Wagner) from what i recall, every thing else electrical outside and in the cab worked. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wow!  almost looks like the engine would have slung a rod with that much metal and internal destruction, was it low of oil, or an oil pump failure ? 

It ran out of oil. My son was driving it, he'd get the light then it would go out. My fault for not checking it regularly. I actually think it was rather rapid. I found oil in the coolant so believe a water jacket was breached 

• Thanks 1

just had the oil light, no gauge ? usually once that light flashes while it's running, damage is already done, and, with oil mixed with the coolant,  i would think it over heated, and possibly blew a head gasket. do those engines have a iron block, with aluminum heads ? 

Yes it has a gauge too. My boy wasn't paying attention. Parenting fail. This one is dull mechanically. His younger brother would have noticed it right off.

Yes cast iron block aluminum head. Did not blow a gasket. Actually did not put effort into investigating exact cause once I determined it was seized. Focused on a recovery or disposal plan. None of the junk yards in the area would give me money for it. Put it up for sale as is but no takers.

If you have the time and place, tearing down the old engine with the boys might be some valuable time spent with them.  I don't know any kid that doesn't enjoy tearing something apart.

• Like 1

Fully agree but I had to return it to the junk yard as a core

junk yards here will take almost any metal except copper, and catalytic converters  I'm the curious type i would have taken it apart, would havent taken much time just see where the freeze was swopping into the oil,  or vice verse, i would say a blown head gasket, but i don't know those engines  very well, just that most times when a iron block with aluminum heads, have a habit of popping gaskets when over heated. over, and over again. (been there) could have also been the antifreeze mixing with the oil  that helped cause the failure being the coolant system is normally pressurized, so it's more likely freeze got in the oil before oil got in the coolant system. even after breaking it down, could have slapped the heads back on, and they would still take for a core, but it wouldn't really matter, it's a junk engine now.

• Like 1

You bet and I was curious too but I put full effort into checking out the junk yard engine and getting the F150 back operational.

Wife and kid are now running around in MY F350. 😠