Horsefly

Glad to have found this site and happy to be a part of it.  Profile pic is my trusty all wheel drive.  Only 1 hp but has never let me down!  Just picked up a 1997 Honda Foreman 400FW.  To say it's going to be a project is an understatement in Spades.  All of the fenders and mud flaps need to be replaced, seat is ripped, rear hand brake cable broken, etc.  Oh, and of course it won't start...  The good news is that it has been sitting under cover for the last 2 years and that the tires all took and seem to be holding air.  Think I will start by testing the battery, draining and flushing the fuel tank, fresh fuel, a new spark plug and air cleaner, and draining and changing the oil.  Anything obvious that I have over looked that should be taken care of before I pull the string?  Figured I'd look into the electric start later and won't mess with the cosmetic parts until I get it running.  I'm not a mechanic by any stretch but I'm pretty handy.  I was able to find the Owners Manual on line but the only Service Manual I have located so far is $120 on Amazon.  Is there another place to look for one and do I really need it?  Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

• Like 2

Welcome Horsefly we kinda like our forum.  There are alot of good Honda owners here with alot of experience fixing and modding.  You should be able to find a service manual for your 400, click on the Service Manual link on the top menu.  Looks like there is one for 1995-2003 Trx400.  We also have a Chat link on the top menu, there is usually some discussion going on in the evening, join us sometime. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I found the Service Manual and it looks like it will be a huge help.  Looking forward to being part of a forum where folks help each other again.  I was a fisherman and a shrimper on the coast of SC for decades.  We used to have a site where everybody shared useful information and especially tried to help out the newbies.   

• Like 4

Welcome aboard!

Spent my childhood summers at Pawley's Island when it was still shabby and unique.  Have been taking my kids south of Charleston for a few years now.  The Low Country is my second favorite place, other than home.

• Like 1