LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

just cant get to the Nvme drive. it shows with Gparted etc.

If you can view the NVMe SSD drive in Gparted you should be able to save a screenshot image by pressing the PrtSc key on your keyboard. You can search the motherboard manual or search 'net for the keystrokes ya gotta make to enter BIOS setup. Try Alt + F12 or Shift + F12.... possibly Alt + F10.... or look it up.

If ya ever need to solve a problem on an unbootable computer SystemRescue is a dandy toolkit solution. Download the .iso and burn to DVD disc for future use... just in case ya tinker it up again someday. 🙂

like that will ever happen 😄.  when it aint raining, its pouring.

i think somehow, i got rid of grub. i'll download system rescue, and grub2, to put on disks. go from there.

that button has 3 functions; PrtScn. SysRq, an insert. can i push PrtScn, without pushing, F Lock, Caps Lock, or Num Lock.

• Haha 1

If you are going to install anything on the NVMe SSD ya may as well perform your installs and let the installation routine reinstall GRUB2 on that drive. Just unplug your hard disk while you are loading the SSD... your hard disk OSes can be added to the GRUB2 boot menu after you are done tinkering on the SSD. If you aren't going to change anything on the SSD then unplug the hard drive, install GRUB2 on the SSD then add the hard drive back and add those OSes to the boot menu.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, retro said:

If you are going to install anything on the NVMe SSD ya may as well perform your installs and let the installation routine reinstall GRUB2 on that drive. Just unplug your hard disk while you are loading the SSD... your hard disk OSes can be added to the GRUB2 boot menu after you are done tinkering on the SSD. If you aren't going to change anything on the SSD then unplug the hard drive, install GRUB2 on the SSD then add the hard drive back and add those OSes to the boot menu.

i got one install on the nvme drive. 20.04 lubuntu. somehow i messed that up. it worked a month ago or so. [/dev/nvme0n1p4]

i get 2 messages; UEFI-BOOT-REQUIRED., an SG2D via UEFI, the second needs more explanation. i think i was in grub2.04., at the time., of the second message. i adjusted the Grub menu. dont have the skill to do it proper. still booting though with the /dev/sda/ drive. only i could remember how i got into Grub, an got out. i need to delete a line. was last night. might ave had some to do with Rods Books.

He is with the ubuntu line.

Oh Well; life in the fast lane.

PS, can i install grub, from a .iso disk? i burned Lubuntu 20.04 64 AMD version to a disk then installed to /dev//nvme0n1p4., an it was working before i intervened.

You will like this, i've had this keyboard since, i dont remember. still dont know how the buttons work.

what i do is by instinct, an hit or miss. microsoft natural multimedia keyboard 1.0A  🙂

Edited by LedFTed

On 10/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, retro said:

To list partitions that have UUIDs assigned by fdisk you can run either of the following on the command line:

sudo blkid | grep UUID=

Or:

sudo lsblk -f | grep -v loop

You can view the partitions that are mounted by their UUID by viewing the contents of your fstab file like so:

sudo cat /etc/fstab

that is the 1st. command.

DSCN2761.JPG

DSCN2763.JPG

DSCN2764.JPG

Edited by LedFTed

i might have to do the middle picture again, least i can take a picture. the camera is working again. the X is gone, but like bad perfume, some lingers. "my brothers X".

i'l have to send ya some mail,. i dont know why, strange things happen when she's here, i could send ya a picture, cept, least i can help it, i wont take a picture of her. i cant put a smile on this, just aint any i found. found one that near close 🌚 cept it looks like a smile.

🌑 this is more like it. Anyway, what till next week if ya got something pressing, an i hope ya do.

Have a good one. Ed

Well it looks like your partitions are valid on the NVMe SSD. You have installed GRUB2 on the /dev/sda hard disk though... so the SSD is configured as your secondary drive rather than your primary drive. As I mentioned, the easiest way to fix it is to disconnect the hard disk (ya don't want to risk nuking your hard disk OSes if ya make a mistake) and reinstall your choice of distros on the SSD. The installer will make the SSD bootable automatically. After you're done installing on the SSD then shut down and reconnect the hard disk and add those OSes to the GRUB2 boot menu.

After disconnecting the hard disk (and before you boot from a DVD to install your first distro on the SSD) go into BIOS setup and make sure that your SSD has been detected. Set the boot order to try one of your DVD drives (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1) first, then set the SSD as the 2nd choice. Then put an installer DVD disk into your DVD drive, save your changes and reboot to begin your 1st install. You'll be provided the option to repartition the SSD during the install if you wish to change anything.

You may be able to use GRUB Customizer GUI to add your /dev/sda hard disk OSes to the boot menu after you're all done with your installs. Here is the PPA install process to get that program:

https://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/03/11/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu-18-04-lts/

But beware! Messing around with GRUB can leave ya with an unbootable system if ya don't understand what you're doing and make a mistake! I recommend using the command line to configure GRUB instead.... since a GUI app like GRUB Customizer makes it too easy for amateurs to poke around and break stuff! Hollar at me for help with those commands when its time to do the deed. 🙂

i took out the ssd drive, cause it was the only one, that would boot, when i plugged up the sda drive, HDD. if i reinstall lubuntu 20.04, on the SSD, it will be the 4th time, i have done this. I've installed several dristos, leaving both drives in. i think it might be my mistake, only installing, when a drive is disconnected. still have to work on Grub 2., or just erase /dev/sda, and start over with both drives in. if i lose all my bookmarks, wont be the 1st. time 😀  loosing the Passwords will be a problem for a while. not the 1st., time also. i only been using linux for 4 years. 2016. least im closer to figuring it out. was using windows before, 2000. "pay to play".... 16 years of wasted time....

i wont tell ya about the bottleneck that comes with windows. its best learned. maybe one day, ya wake up, an realize ya been played, by the tech companys.

With the SSD drive in, i was finally able to find this site. it wasnt recommended, by Wot, or Google. just got me in the funny bone. especially the social media part., not socially acceptable.
we are on the right path. when, google dont like us, it means its the right way. i hope to post a picture, so that those that want, can see., for the rest, bless you.

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i took out the ssd drive, cause it was the only one, that would boot, when i plugged up the sda drive, HDD.

That is normal behavior since your HDD already had a bootable OS on it when you added it to this computer. You'll need to add your /dev/sda OSes to the GRUB boot menu (which correctly exists on the NVMe SSD) in order to boot them, which should be easy. I gotta work all day today... but later on I will come back to provide you with the commands to add your /dev/sda bootable partition(s) to GRUB.

41 minutes ago, retro said:

That is normal behavior since your HDD already had a bootable OS on it when you added it to this computer. You'll need to add your /dev/sda OSes to the GRUB boot menu (which correctly exists on the NVMe SSD) in order to boot them, which should be easy. I gotta work all day today... but later on I will come back to provide you with the commands to add your /dev/sda bootable partition(s) to GRUB.

i want too erase the HDD drive. "but it has some info i want to save". after that, i dont care. i only been using Linux since 2016, and a Ubuntu version. not saying thats bad, but, i think they place too much stock in Google, as trustworthy. i have a different opinion. an i will stay with it. just is, my opinion. somehow it worked, with both drives, till i did something, in my opinion, Maybe not. i got to find the screw, that holds the SSD drive to the motherboard. {the drive i am using now},.. i got a spare, if, i can find the box, the SSD drive came in. just moved it the other day, least a month or so, 1 or 2 weeks.

For now, i'll leave the SSD drive in., though i cant access some sites., an look for the spare.

i trust what is written, in the papers, an social media. an i still do.. Not!!,

it goes with my operating system. if i get to unintentionally political. just a thing. 

if ants invade your house, do ya care about political views of the ants. hate to be racist, never seen white ants. termites come close, both are destructive. must be systemic,

north or south, white termites, are evidence, of systemic racism. the weirdest thing i ran across, was that white milk was racist. i cant figure that one out. far as i know breast milk is white. could be racism,. just dont know,. OK I'll leave it up to the moderators, to delete what they want.

i have instructions, but cant take a picture of the screen. the heat source wont let me. cold in the basement, without it. this time of year. is December weather, more or less. mostly less. still cold to me. i was warm at 64f in the trailer., but i plugged all the air leaks, this place is different. not as cold outside, but with the air leaks, colder than a witches , xxx.

1 degree is the difference, between being warm, or cold. i like that 1 degree on the warm side. in my opinion, learn to sleep under sheets. that way you wont need to have it cold at night, with the heavy blankets on, to sleep.

i can fix the vents., from downstairs, but i wont. not really my house. it would be funny though. remotely con-TROLLed. best let sleeping dogs lie., or is it lay..

Ok, I think I understand what you got going on now and what you'd like to do.... You wish to save your data on /dev/sda1 to a safe place before ya nuke that drive and reinstall something else on it, right?

That's easy, the backup routine goes sorta like so:

Boot up your choice of Linux OS on the NVMe SSD where you'd like to save your data. Create a folder in your /home/ed/ (assuming that you are logging in as "ed"?) directory to hold a backup copy of your data using your filemanager. I suggest that you simply create a "backups" folder in your home directory (eg, "/home/ed/backups/") to hold a copy of your data that ya wanna save, then copy your entire "/home/ed/" directory from your sda1 hard disk partition into that backups folder so ya don't have to waste time cherry-pickin' files & risk forgetting to copy something important.

Then open a terminal and mount the /dev/sda1 partition on /media (or /mnt).... then using your filemanager, browse to /media then continue browsing your mounted filesystem until you find your /home/ directory on the mounted sda1 partition. Copy all of the data you wish to save (copy your entire "ed" home directory) into the backup folder you created at /home/ed/backups... then close your filemanager. Go back into your terminal to unmount the partition and you're done making your backup!

The mount command:

sudo mount -t /dev/sda1 /media

The unmount command:

sudo umount /dev/sda1

If you forget to close your filemanager after copying your files & folders the umount command may spit out an error saying the filesytem is busy when you try to unmount it. If that happens make sure that none of the folders or files mounted on /media are open, being copied, or in use by another program and run the following to gracefully unmount the partition:

sudo umount -l /dev/sda1

Note that you are the root user when you mount the hard disk partition on /media... so you must open your filemanager as the root user to copy all of your files & folders from the mounted partition into the backup folder that you created in your home directory. Once you are finished copying your data you'll need to change the owner of that backup data from root to your own logged in username. So for example, lets say that you are logged in as "ed". And lets say that the backup folder that you created and copied files into is named "backups", which is located at "/home/ed/backups". You'd need to type the following command in a terminal:

sudo chown -R ed:ed /home/ed/backups

Holler at me if I have confused ya any...? If ya'd rather back everything up using the command line rather than your filemanager, say so and I'll provide those commands as well.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of my filesystem tree which should match your Lubuntu tree pretty closely. Just posting this in case ya can't find your /media/ directory where you'll mount /dev/sda1 & copy your files from.

directory-tree.png

well,,,

i want to do this; near a passion. 1st. i need to remove grub from /dev/sda/ , might be /dev/sda/1 ?

anyway, it will eliminate the x-tra line i wrote in grub2, and reinstall grub2, an go from there. the line i wrote, grub shows up, then i have edit grub, then type in the command. iv been typing exit., then it boots normal. this is only with the HDD drive in. course with the SSD drive in, thats all i can get. i seem to be missing, some kind of module. i dont understand, because it dont say which module. i think i need to do grub-update, then the message shows up. i havent took a camera shot as yet. must be the brick wall thing. gets me all the time.

well, least i got a history of it. i just cant explain why i do this over an over. ;~}, its like a scratched record, an LP.  el bang der head. [a slight combo of latin+german] the phrase is sum-self explanatory.

just lost the train, catch ya on the next bend...

Edited by LedFTed
same
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

well,,,

i want to do this; near a passion. 1st. i need to remove grub from /dev/sda/ , might be /dev/sda/1 ?

GRUB resides on the boot sector on /dev/sda... /dev/sda1 is your OS partition on that drive. You do not need to remove GRUB from that drive though. Just go into GParted and remove the "boot" flag from that drive if you're annoyed by GRUBs presence on that drive. Then copy your data backups over onto the SSD drive. Then, while still on the SSD drive, open GParted and nuke that entire hard drive. Recreate your partitions for the new OS(es) that ya gonna install on that drive, or simply leave that disk blank if ya rather let the installer configure your partitions (recommended -- leave the disk blank & choose the default installer option to use the entire free disk space for "/", which maximizes space for your personal use in your home directory) for you.

Hollar if ya can't get past your pesky GRUB issues and I'll fix them for ya.

im not annoyed, just, that is the drive, i edited grub2 in. i figure if i delete grub2, my edit goes with it, then i can reinstall grub2., more or less.

ya ever heard of efi-bootloader? and, why would i want this anyway?....

Maybe its important. most likely not.

got to admit, the web has changed so much, for the average person, it dont work. now, if ya dont mind being brain washed, more power to ya. baa!!!,  come on in, an the wolf takes care of the sheep. Best i get quite for the rest catch on.

Well, you said that you are gonna nuke that drive anyway, so whats the point in tinkerin' with GRUB options on it if your primary SSD drive is set up properly to handle SSD OS booting? Or do you believe that GRUB is not set up correctly on the SSD? If that's the case then yeah, it definitely needs to be fixed, but thus far you have stated that the SSD boots up fine with the sda drive disconnected, so thats why I haven't tried to help ya fix something thats not broken. Let me know if something have changed.... you're thinking too much.... just do stuff!

24 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

ya ever heard of efi-bootloader? and, why would i want this anyway?....

Maybe its important. most likely not.

UEFI is basically a BIOS extension. So yeah, its very important that ya don't mess with it. I once repaired a laptop for a friend after he nuked the UEFI partition.... the laptop still booted Windows but it hesitated on boot and it ran very slow throughout the booting process. Once I restored the UEFI that laptop was fast.

i dont have efi-bootloader as yet, but i did mess with boot on the HHD drive. where my initial problem started. the entry i added to grub in no longer there. Grub is OK on the SSD drive. i think i sent ya a PM on the error codes i get.

error: kernel doesnt support 64 bit

error: you need to load kernel first

i can find the media file, an i can put it on a thumb drive. i cant open it, though. says i dont have permission. Does this matter?

i was going to add space on the front of the drive. it said i might not be able to use the OS after that. i didnt do it because, i haven't put the media file on a thumb drive, but before, when i was nitpicking files, i wasnt sure they were the right files..

Just one more thing...

it has to do with ISO files and running your distro as an ISO. you put your disto iso.'s in a folder, and grub still sees them, so you run like that. i dint quite know how to do this yet, but, what i was wondering was, can the iso update?

just a problem down the road, an i can ask somewhere else. just thought ya might know this. dont spend any time on it, ya got irons in your fire too.

Edited by LedFTed

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

error: kernel doesnt support 64 bit

error: you need to load kernel first

These are GRUB errors caused by taking a HDD from one 32-bit computer that had two HDDs, with one HDD 32-bit OS installed on an extended partition linked from the primary drive 32-bit... and connecting that HDD to a new 64-bit computer having completely differing disk layouts. In other words, the first computer was set up improperly due to adding an unplanned for 2nd disk that never got reconfigured/corrected and this 2nd system's GRUB was not cobbled to accommodate before adding the orphan disk with a 32-bit OS. It can be fixed by reconfiguring GRUB but its foolish to continue to cobble it up. Nuke IT. After you get your data off, of course.

i can find the media file, an i can put it on a thumb drive. i cant open it, though. says i dont have permission. Does this matter?

Insert your thumb drive into a USB port. Then mount the thumb drive on /media/ (if your OS doesn't auto-mount it for you), then copy the contents of your home directory onto the mounted USB thumb drive. Your OS should auto-mount the USB drive (with R/W permissions) as soon as ya plug it in. If it does not auto-mount with R/W user permissions, then its pretty antique. If its antique then ya might have to copy your home directory data onto the USB drive as the root user. Depending on how your OS is set up.... you should either be able to log in as the root user, OR, open your file manager as the root user. Either way is easy to do... don't forget to include hidden folders (those with folder names preceded by a dot) in your backup in case ya got an old email client sqlite3 database that ya wanna bring along, like Thunderbird uses for storage for instance.

Your file manager should have a menu option to "View hidden files and folders"... look for .thunderbird & .mozilla folders and include those in your backup in case ya wish ya could import data from them once your new system is up. 🙂

i was going to add space on the front of the drive. it said i might not be able to use the OS after that. i didnt do it because, i haven't put the media file on a thumb drive, but before, when i was nitpicking files, i wasnt sure they were the right files..

Don't touch anything you'll break it. Just grab your entire home directory and get outta there before that old drive dies on ya!

Just one more thing...

it has to do with ISO files and running your distro as an ISO. you put your disto iso.'s in a folder, and grub still sees them, so you run like that. i dint quite know how to do this yet, but, what i was wondering was, can the iso update?

Nope, an .iso file is a static disk image (a USB thumb drive image or a CD/DVD image generally speaking)... so its not up-datable unless ya manually edit an iso yourself with an app. You can mount an .iso just about anywhere though. But to update you simply replace an .iso image with a more recent version.

Now for a personal comment.... Ya got a new hi perf computer loaded with great hardware. Why are ya even considering loading lightweight, minimal-features, minimal capabilities, lUbuntu on it? LUbuntu is fit for incapable antique hardware only. Do yourself a favor and toss out LUbuntu for good! Get yourself a full featured modern Linux Distro with all of the latest & greatest bells & whistles and you'll begin to learn & grow! If you prefer your Linux OS to be Ubuntu flavored, then give Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon a try! I'll mail ya the DVD if you'll test drive it! 🙂

If ya cannot get your data off that HDD feel free to send it to me and I'll back it up for you, repartition the drive to ready it for its new home and then send it back to you along with your backup.

i'm beating a dead horse, so to speak. 😀 i aint all that stuck on lubuntu. just got weaned on it. only been 4 years come Jan., roundabout.

just seems longer., an it beats windows. [as if thats saying much]. i just get me an idea in my head, an i like to solve things. maybe too much an too long. hard to break old habits. guess i'm stubborn about fixing things., instead of moving on. lol

Yup, beating a dead horse so to speak. Ya got a 32-bit OS (with 32-bit version of GRUB bootloader) on that drive.... connected to a 64-bit computer with an SSD drive 64-bit version of GRUB on it. They are not compatible, ya can't fix it, ya gotta wipe and start over with the HDD. So the only thing that matters is getting your data backed up that is on that 32-bit OS.

Try Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Cinnamon edition. It is an LTS release supported until 2025, it will rip on your new hi perf box. I'm sure you'll like the rich feature set too, since you're coming from a basic Ubuntu lite that have limited your experience & learning for so long. But first go after that backup....

i tried to do it the right way, it wouldnt work. i changed a grub bios on the HDD, to a more modern one, an change the file system as well, i think. i got all the if info off the HDD i could the hard way.

i had the SSD drive out for 5 days or so, so i could work with the HDD drive, the SSD drive i plugged it in tonight, well, 7:30 anyway, it was dark. i'm ready for Uylana.

i bought Peppermint once. {i know its free, did then too}, never could get it to work. How much space ya think i need for Uylana?