LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

This section explains the common theory behind all three variants and the theory behind our PoC for variant 1 that, when running in userspace under a Debian distro kernel, can perform arbitrary reads in a 4GiB region of kernel memory in at least the following configurations
this was in jan, 19. they didn't test with Zen architecture. 
i was wondering if using a Debian dristo kernel mattered, or was it just what they were running at the time of the test.

what does this mean?

GPZ Variant 3 (Meltdown) doesn't affect AMD processors. As Thomas Lendacky, AMD software engineer and Linux kernel developer, wrote on the Linux Kernel Mailing List (LKML), "AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against." Therefore on AMD systems, sysadmins should disable this feature. If they don't, their systems will suffer from the system slowdown that comes with the Meltdown patches without improving security.

i dont have an amd system yet, but might as well get prepared.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, retro said:

Actually the Ryzen 5 1600 AF that I advised and all of the Ryzen 2000 series CPUs are Zen+, not Zen2. You don't get Zen2 until you get into the 3000 and higher series CPUs.

But Ryzen 5 Zen+ CPUs do not have the Intel Spectre and Meltdown1 flaws and Zen+ have already been patched for the Meltdown2 exploit. Zen+ is not flawed with the latest LVI exploit either. So all AMD Zen+ CPUs are good to go and are excellent performers. They're cheaper than Intel too.

i've been reading about Spectre, Meltdown and LVI since about 6:00 this morning. my head is spinning. almost16;00

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

what does this mean?

GPZ Variant 3 (Meltdown) doesn't affect AMD processors. As Thomas Lendacky, AMD software engineer and Linux kernel developer, wrote on the Linux Kernel Mailing List (LKML), "AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against." Therefore on AMD systems, sysadmins should disable this feature. If they don't, their systems will suffer from the system slowdown that comes with the Meltdown patches without improving security.

i dont have an amd system yet, but might as well get prepared.

Don't enable the kernel setting "X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE" which enables page table isolation. Thats an Intel CPU only kernel flag. You shouldn't have to mess with that when installing the latest version of Linux (with an X470 or later AMD chipset) as the CPU type will be auto-detected by lscpu while configuring the kernel. Some recent Intel motherboards might include the Page Table setting in the BIOS setup, but you aren't buying Intel so no worries. MS Windows, being a virtual machine based on 8-bit DOS, running on top of a virtual-ized 64-bit version of DOS (that sucks at everything) might get it wrong, but who cares... 😀

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i've been reading about Spectre, Meltdown and LVI since about 6:00 this morning. my head is spinning. almost16;00

"Nothing to see here folks, move along" hahah.... wasting your time, AMD Zen+ & Zen2 are not affected.

my asus monitor doesn't have a camera. least i dont think it does. i dont remember anything in the paper's that came with it. real small print. i dont have a mic set up. some MB's are made in japan, amd Mb's, and some are made in China, and other places. i heard of China putting spyware in their electronics. i think of Samsung SSD's or HDD's and wonder if they are included. course some thing's are made here, and doe's it matter. whole new world. electronics's and spying. just wait till ya find out how many transistors are on a processor, or chip set. scary, dont even cover it. so where do they put those cameras on a Samsung TV. i hate picture's of myself picking my nose. LOL 

i dont need Kleenex, when i stocked on TP 6 mts. ago. lol

i'd blow a hole through that week stuff.

Edited by LedFTed
just got to

""Be careful with Sabrent storage. They haven't been helpful n providing endurance numbers for their SSDs. contacted their support team who refused to provide those specs. Best to stick with more reputable SSDs, like from Samsung".

doe's this mean anything? or more hocus-pocus ? from the "Ubuntuforums.org/"

Edited by LedFTed

Maybe so... if Sabrent can't provide that sort of info then odds are not worth buying. If I remember right when I was stuffing the shopping cart an Intel NVMe SSD was priced just a few bucks higher... Intel should be trustworthy. Before ya order see if there are any better parts comparably priced.

i'll do that, and do research on my own, so you can take care of this forum. i will show what i got, whenever i get it together.

I'll help ya wherever I can LedFTed. Just be mindful that I'm not an expert, there is a lot I don't know... been almost 20 years ago I left the IT/computer hardware world behind.

you were right, building you own computer is a PITA. i am making progress slowly. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Ted , you building a computer ??? Ever see Weird Science ? 

yep. i cant build a computer like that. if i could might be worth it for a year or two. maybe a decade.

22 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

nothing on this page i'd imagine, ya got your hands full.

y'all got your hand's full lately. i may have solved this by the time you see it. bought the ryzen 5 1600af, i did the research, and it will suit me.

just to pick an MB. that's not why i write, i got some good schooling on this. maybe i'll write later, maybe not.

i dont game. i can't game. something to due with the eye's, an why i fall down.[the short version]. i might, or not like CAD rendering, for certain things. about as close as i want to get to a game, on a relative scale.

so this is what i am asking;

on the video card, it say's, DDR2-DDR5, then it go's to GDDR2-GDDR5. i figure the GDDR range is way out or my budget range, etc., so, the DDR range, beginner CAD, i can do a DDR5 card, within my budget? i just want an opinion. like i said, i might solve this on my own. 🙂

^^^^ the answer came to me this morning after a woke. never mind the past paragraph. ^^^^

Yes, GDDR = Graphics DDR which is probably almost the same as standard DDR RAM, but optimized for graphics. The higher the number the faster the memory in all cases. So DDR5 is better than DDR3 or DDR4.

GDDR, i should have figured that part out. Graphic's DDR. DDR5 video card is plenty. i think i want to stay with B450 series, with the motherboard. i will figure out the graphic's card later. hope the screenshot is better than the thumbnail. this will put me around $200.

amd ryzen 5 1600af, soon the MB

Screenshot_2020-03-26 Choose A Motherboard.png

Edited by LedFTed
same as always

@ fish; i seen it, made a comment maybe, on the music page. it is me blocking something, maybe, uBlockOrigin rules i set up. it's supposed to be off for this site. oh well

as for the mobo, or MB, Motherboard; i got some hung up. cross-fire technology.... i think i dont need it now. it has to due with gaming, maybe a smaller motherboard. IDK. well, i'll keep y'all informed.

Edited by LedFTed

the page i displayed is the B450 motherboard. now i am looking at the X470 series.

it seems the more i learn, the less i know. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. i will keep you informed of my progress.

this make more sense to me, than what i read. guess i'm wired different. definitely wired. i found a case for $60-$70 that i like.

Screenshot_2020-03-30 Socket AM4 - Wikipedia.png

• Like 1

You are on the right track with the X470 motherboard for full compatibility with the Ryzen 5 1600 AF. You won't need Crossfire (which allows you to parallel two video cards for twice the performance) since you won't be gaming much.

That Corsair case is nice... it needs a power supply, probably 400-450 watts PS would be plenty. Check newegg.com for sales on your parts choices.... one-stop shopping may save on shipping cost too. Fun stuff eh!

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive

i went ahead and ordered it anyway. $129. price keeps going up instead of down, it has good reviews. i don't care if one guy cant get information from the company. whatever he was looking for, may be more than i need to know at the moment. i dont remember.

power supplies have changed since i last bought one about 16 years ago. my ryzen 5 1600af, came in today, i'm ready to get this show on the road.

Fun stuff, maybe. i'm getting to like it some. i wont make my $500., goal, but, i will have a nice machine. one-stop shopping may lose me the part i need.

that is how fast it is, or in other words, if you snooze ya lose. MB ya recommended is out of stock. Sabrent Rocket was about $89.oo best i remember, now $129.oo. with stuff changing so fast, it's a wonder i still got my machine running, 2002 Dell, 32 bit's, 2 GB memory. i found a different case, still Corsair i think. all this stuff is so similar, yet, so far apart. too many options to make a solid choices. the average consumer dont stand a chance, and it cost more. near double would be my guess at the moment, maybe more. Well, i'm done for the moment. 🙂

• Like 1

x470 chip on some boards is getting hard to find. i narrowed down my search to three brands,msi, asrock, and 1 other. i cant remember the 3rd. msi dont have SLI an some other things IDK. corona virus, is limiting searches, and availability. prices are going up. x570 boards might be out there, but more than i need, i think. PCi4 is worth considering. IDK enough about it. better buy the case while i can.

i didnt think about the shutdown, and thought online was still going. guess someone has to be there, regardless. online sales may drop to non-existent. i hope, "waiting for the storm to blow over", is enough. so far i got the heat down in my machine, which makes for a lower wattage power supply, hence less cost, for the power supply, and less on the electric bill.  

Edited by LedFTed