LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

17 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

Glad you're making progress.

Many years ago we use to install Linux on headless servers (no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) using a serial terminal with the files hosted on a networked NTP server. Now that was fun. Also did the Linux From Scratch thing a few times. It was a lot of fun but that was back when I had more time than sense. Haha! Anyway, point is Linux is fun to play with for someone that likes to get their hands dirty, dig in and see what makes it tick. You have total control over the OS, which can be good & bad.

I need to install a modern distro just see how it compares to Windows these days.

i can almost compare to you cept i got time, and no sense. lols..

the windows drive will not keep up with time. however the linux drive will. i got more to write, but have to try something first, then i will edit.. ok im back.. this is most strange. when i boot on, turn the PC on, its keeps saying to strike F1, or F2 to go into setup.. i cant figure this out,  nor how to stop it, unless i got to chain-load grub. does this sound right? //ed

Edited by LedFTed
same as always

if you changed the CMOS battery or at least had it out the settings in BIOS will revert to factory including CPU settings.  I have had to change those when I changed batteries...it didnt recognize my CPU...

i thank ya guys for the help here. it might help other linux users here.

as far as windows users, FastStone; capture, photo-resizer, and image viewer, might help others. should still be free.. 3 programs by faststone.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:31 AM, bcsman said:

if you changed the CMOS battery or at least had it out the settings in BIOS will revert to factory including CPU settings.  I have had to change those when I changed batteries...it didnt recognize my CPU...

i think i am still working around this.

after a brand new battery, CMOS is working better, i still prefer linux, my version, or any other version of linux, ta windows. you dont know, or want to, what i think about goofle.. i havent liked google, since the inception. a controlling search, instead of a finding search. they do it so well also,, and snooker everyone in, the process they use...

• Like 2

I'm glad that you are hanging in there with Linux (like a hair in a grilled cheese sammich!) Led.

• Like 1

Yes sounds like you are making progress Led....keep us posted

i seem to be doing ok in lubuntu. about to try the 2nd operating system. here though, i cant find an edit button/reply button.. things changed, while i had the battery/CMOS problem. not enough cookies, comes to mind. i still dont have all the blockers on. just no script. even allowing that, i cant reply, nor edit.

even though, the title says,  " linux, an other operating systems",, i want it to be a problem page.

hand held comes to mind. phones.. the problems they represent.

@retro;  "(a curly hair, in a grilled cheese sammich)",,  yuk,, windows for sure, maybe in my soup.. i will continue to try and cook with linux, as there are so many flavors..

the spices, are not curly, hairs.. ;~}

Other than google fonts, I don't think we are loading any 3rd party stuff, so there should be no need for Noscript here. The cookies we set are just standard login and session cookies (encrypted) so those are completely private and harmless. We have no ads nor any tracking scripts or connections to outsiders except for google web fonts. We couldn't track ya if we wanted to. We also require 100% SSL/TLS encryption (with appropriate security headers) from end to end to eliminate man-in-the-middle attacks, iFrame attacks and forbid hotlinking of attachments and images. The rest of the internet is pretty invasive though... beginning with your ISP, the big corps track everyone on the planet and share your personal data with google.govcorp and amongst each other. Ya might want to consider setting up two browsers... one that is not locked down for browsing this site and one that is locked down for browsing everything else. There is no such thing as privacy or anonymity on the internet though, it was designed for tracking and identification of all users/devices.

1 hour ago, retro said:

Other than google fonts, I don't think we are loading any 3rd party stuff, so there should be no need for Noscript here. The cookies we set are just standard login and session cookies (encrypted) so those are completely private and harmless. We have no ads nor any tracking scripts or connections to outsiders except for google web fonts. We couldn't track ya if we wanted to. We also require 100% SSL/TLS encryption (with appropriate security headers) from end to end to eliminate man-in-the-middle attacks, iFrame attacks and forbid hotlinking of attachments and images. The rest of the internet is pretty invasive though... beginning with your ISP, the big corps track everyone on the planet and share your personal data with google.govcorp and amongst each other. Ya might want to consider setting up two browsers... one that is not locked down for browsing this site and one that is locked down for browsing everything else. There is no such thing as privacy or anonymity on the internet though, it was designed for tracking and identification of all users/devices.

i got the hang of what you are saying. it is kind of depressing in multiple ways... i have known this for years, in my own ways.. google still worries me. perhaps i am over thinking this. it just seemed like the web, was more free, before google.

not locked down/ locked down,, i gotta think for a moment. locked down= noscript, abp, ub-origin, and things of that nature.

i remember the old days, i could find anything. i think google had something, to do with limiting searches. the internet was more fun back then.

so much for progress..

other then that, let this thread, be a way for those to post pictures, or anything, but have trouble. i said my linux stuff.,, but most post from a different format/OS. i got my linux thing solved, best i know. said i like linux over, all operating systems. i done enough damage, in the right way...

i didnt know i could trust google. google fonts, maybe a different matter.

i dont want to get lengthy on this reply. i will say, i got nephews, and nieces, that dont have a clue, not to mention siblings.

Google web fonts were integrated into the software by Invision. I don't like them because they slow the site down a lot, but I have never tried to remove/replace/cache them because I don't want to create a customized header and be stuck with software that cannot be updated normally. I'm lazy in other words. As you mentioned many folks don't know how bad its gotten. Nothing we can do about that... be happy with what we got and do whatever we can do for ourselves is my view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, retro said:

Google web fonts were integrated into the software by Invision. I don't like them because they slow the site down a lot, but I have never tried to remove/replace/cache them because I don't want to create a customized header and be stuck with software that cannot be updated normally. I'm lazy in other words. As you mentioned many folks don't know how bad its gotten. Nothing we can do about that... be happy with what we got and do whatever we can do for ourselves is my view.

Yep!! i cant say no more..

Just a sidenote on security for OS, Homeland Security made a observation a few days ago that anyone using Mozilla Firefox should upgrade quickly to the latest version.  I guess a newer issue that can invade your computer and take over.  Funny thing is they mentioned Windows and Apple OS's but never said a word about Linux.  I don't know if that was because it doesn't affect Linux systems or they just figured nobody uses it so why mention it!!!  Make your own observations.... 

• Like 1

So it sounds like a warning to me... HS is gonna attack us again eh... <cynical> :-)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, bcsman said:

Just a sidenote on security for OS, Homeland Security made a observation a few days ago that anyone using Mozilla Firefox should upgrade quickly to the latest version.  I guess a newer issue that can invade your computer and take over.  Funny thing is they mentioned Windows and Apple OS's but never said a word about Linux.  I don't know if that was because it doesn't affect Linux systems or they just figured nobody uses it so why mention it!!!  Make your own observations.... 

it took a minute or more, before it dawned on me.. windows, apple, are fixed systems. linux has no direct system, so HS, cant nose there way in. an besides, i think they use the same system..,, in the long run.. Unix, Linux.. they want to be protected too. only the gov. runs 20 yrs behind. Red Tape..

i'll leave it at that. ;~} cynical, besides i like humor, not politically correct. [josh 2.0. funny, crossed the boundaries]. what do the politically correct, have to laugh at.. they cant look in a mirror, an begin to laugh. that is where the humor is.

there ain't any politically correct comedians.. no material..

Edited by LedFTed

i installed bionic puppy, to sda5. i have to go back and install grub2. took a picture of the command line necessary .. tomorrow is another day.

i wont be writing anything bout this here. i got some other places.

not that i didn't get help here. battery help, was the best.. CMOS.....

maybe i will ask another question, here concerning Linux..

i dont expect too. why i prefer Linux.

let those that try it figure it out.

Was a path in the road. it got two ways. i chose to take the path, less traveled by.. 

loosely interpreted.. perhaps Robert Frost..

i was wrong about trying to install grub, with puppy linux. grub is on the front of the drive.,, not on the partitions.. i just updated grub, and it worked.. sooo now when i boot, i get three choices.. lubuntu, sda drive,, sda1., puppy, sda drive,, sda5,, ,, or windows, sdb,, 2nd hard drive.. windows is on sdb1, which covers the whole hard drive... 

3 operating systems, 2 sata disks..

i aint even tried virtual box yet. that might be interesting. soon, maybe a year or so, i just might get into terabytes..

I mean,, the stuff i got know has been obsolete near 2 decades.. some only 1.5 decades..  //ed

Edited by LedFTed

Linux has many versions of operating systems.. to say many is an underestimate. a multitude is more like it. most are free, an [should you pay], maybe ya didnt do enough research. you can use donate, should you choose, i have.. i bet windows, or mac, dont have that option.. they even have operating systems similar to Windows, for Dummies like me. Free support is another advantage.. One thing i have learned in the linux world, is similar to what i have learned at this forum, an previously at other's. We are here to help. and discuss ways of helping each other out, Just Because.. .. Same at the linux sites..  it is as it should be

• Like 1

am i the only one that is using 2 hard drive's here. {meant to be rhetorical} whatever that means. rhetorical

Edited by LedFTed
just got too

Maybe... I am using a laptop so I have room for just one large SATA drive in my rig. Back when I owned towers I always loaded the cases with drives though. The Linux bootloader back in the early days was called LILO (Linux Loader) but nowadays we have a much more versatile bootloader called GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). If ya wanna get some practice breaking and repairing GRUB2 there is a GUI app called Grub Customizer that comes in handy for that. 🙂

Our ATV Honda web server has two drives though, both are large SSDs. I dropped, reconfigured (repartitioned it, formatted it with a faster filesystem, then restored all data and brought it back online) one of those SSD drives on the command line in a terminal window while they were both LIVE and HOT, while we were working on our rollout in the dev site. I still haven't ever rebooted the server following that drive reconfig while it was live, don't have to reboot real OSes... 🙂

naw. i just want to update my system. remember that down the road case i ask. i want to switch a different file system. it starts with a U.

i'll know it when i see it. i always had this problem.

Yep, SSD = Solid State Drive. XFS is the best filesystem to provide both speed and enterprise-grade reliability. You may have been thinking about UDev... the linux block device manager...?