LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

just P.S. the HHD is deleted, just for another day.. i forgot what kind of burning software i had, lucky me. it did the check-sums at the same time. started with a Br. ..

Dont know for sure, but if true, an its this place, i take this well. kind of take it like a badge of honor. to belong.

..Screenshot_2020-12-01 atvhonda com at DuckDuckGo.png

Edited by LedFTed

9 hours ago, LedFTed said:

How much space ya think i need for Uylana?

The OS? Less than 15 gigs... but you will need space for your data in your /home/ directory so its your call. I have 400gb set aside for my /home/ directory and there is only about 75gb remaining free on my laptop right now. So if you are anywhere like I am on Linux you'll need at least 500gb! 🙂

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

just P.S. the HHD is deleted, just for another day.. i forgot what kind of burning software i had, lucky me. it did the check-sums at the same time. started with a Br. ..

Dont know for sure, but if true, an its this place, i take this well. kind of take it like a badge of honor. to belong.

..Screenshot_2020-12-01 atvhonda com at DuckDuckGo.png

Brasero? K3B is the best burner software but ya gotta install the full version of cdrecord yourself to get everything working like it should.

Think we oughta sue them for slandering us.....

nah, it might keep the riff-raff out. :classic_wacko::classic_biggrin:

it was Brasero. it also does the checksum for ya. my 20.04. Lubuntu came with K3B. I aint figured it out yet. cdrecord also help on dvd?

i got the front end of the SSD messed up, also had the HHD messed up., Mint is ready to install, but i keep running into the same problem. i cant explain it, in a way that can be understood by most.

it always has to do with the device for boot-loader instruction. should have took pictures tonight, i didnt. might have to make another post for its explained.

Edited by LedFTed

On 12/17/2020 at 3:02 AM, LedFTed said:

nah, it might keep the riff-raff out. :classic_wacko::classic_biggrin:

it was Brasero. it also does the checksum for ya. my 20.04. Lubuntu came with K3B. I aint figured it out yet. cdrecord also help on dvd?

i got the front end of the SSD messed up, also had the HHD messed up., Mint is ready to install, but i keep running into the same problem. i cant explain it, in a way that can be understood by most.

it always has to do with the device for boot-loader instruction. should have took pictures tonight, i didnt. might have to make another post for its explained.

i got 1 megabyte on the front of the SSD drive, that i didnt expand. should be part of NVME as far as i can tell, so there is one space before 1.., just an offset of what i want.., done right, i'd think i would be OK. as far as not putting grub on the HHD drive., all i need is a / to take care of that. maybe im wrong.

Edited by LedFTed

You might need more than 1 MB of free unallocated space at the beginning of the SSD. If I remember right the last time I set up a GPT partitioned drive I left 16MB free space at the beginning, but honestly I cannot remember why I felt that I had to.... maybe for extra GRUB themes or something... dunno a lotta time have passed since. 😞

You'll need a FAT32 formatted UEFI partition on the SSD next, then an unformatted (& no mount point set, just a raw partition) bios_grub partition with the "bios_grub" boot flag set for it.  Then you are ready to install your first OS on the SSD

If you intend to install two OSes on the SSD, then I recommend that ya divide the available space in two so each OS have fairly equal space allotted. Make sure that your HDD is wiped clean of GRUB before ya begin. GRUB should be installed on one drive ONLY, which should be the 1st bootable disk (NVMe SSD) that you've chosen on the bios setup boot order screen.

• Like 1

JUST IN TIME. i was thinking about the HDD drive today. 250 GB, also thinking i need more than 1 TB, SSD drive. [the times they are a changing], durn if i can remember the name at this moment. wasnt there a harmonica, on the neck? maybe Neil Young. at 1st. i was thinking Arlo Guthrie, just that i keep hearing the harmonica...

there is 1mb on the front of the SSD drive. it dont show up on the pictures.

as you can see in the second picture, /dev/nvme0n1p1 is filling up fast, sorry i hit the wrong buttons/choices. picture 2772. only supposed to have two pictures.

DSCN2772.JPG

DSCN2770.JPG

DSCN2772.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
more info

Yup, bios_grub is presently FAT32 but must be left raw, unformatted and not mounted. You can nuke that one and recreate it. The 1st & the last (Mint) two XFS partitions on the SSD do not have mount points defined, so I don't know what ya got goin' there..... you can have up to 4 Primary partitions defined + as many Extended/Logical partitions as necessary, so keep that in mind while partitioning.

I would use 3 of the 4 primaries on the SSD and create just one primary partition on the HDD for one OS & mount the HDD partition root ("/"). If you intend to run two OSes on the SSD, then if I were you I would split the drive space between them when partitioning for each OS. The mount point for each OS should be root ("/") so you don't run short on space in your home directory in the future, as hoarding too much stuff with no intention to manage it eventually catches ya short and makes ya panicky. 🙂

Install everything ya want on the SSD first using just one GRUB config, then partition & install your HDD OS. Make sure that the OS that you install on the HDD is NOT a WinDOS (Bill Gates is a greedy, evil, criminal & a selfish control freak, will nuke your GRUB config on WinDOS Service Pack updates) version. You can run as many WinDOS copies as ya want to on Linux inside Virtual Box VMs, so if you must have WinDOS available for windows-only software (I have several), confine & jail them inside virtual machines.

Make sure that all of your OS installs point to GRUB bootloader on the SSD. Make sure that your HDD install adds it's GRUB config to the one on the SSD too, and not the HDD. You only want one copy of the GRUB bootloader installed on the computer. Every bootable OS will list itself in the single GRUB boot menu on the SSD during installation by default. So install your OSes in a logical order.... leaving the HDD work for last.

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

[the times they are a changing], durn if i can remember the name at this moment. wasnt there a harmonica, on the neck?

Bob Dylan?

Well; thats the right song, for sure.... yep,, an the voice is the same. thought about Neil Young. funny how the old songs are so the same. explaining the times.

i admit, i dont know what i'm doing, as far as linux, an its a wonder that i got this far., also says it not that hard to understand. just ask the right people. some OS are ready to go without asking. i havent tapped the top of an iceberg.  i do have a comparison to Windows,Titanic, an a iceberg, Linux,.. .., it pays no respect to the innocent on board.

i'm cryptic. i could almost speak in symbols... guess i'll get two more flakes of hay for the horses after i drink some more JB,, an hope i make it back to the house. HaHaHa!!!

Didnt know i was a Bob Dylan fan.  always did suspect it though.

And i thought ya had some respect for the foundation; "Bill Gates is a greedy, evil, criminal & a selfish control freak", the Gates foundation,etc.. 

tells me, i am not the only one with a dry sense of humor. "i got caught on this one"..  :classic_rolleyes: :classic_rolleyes: :classic_ninja: :classic_ninja:

Edited by LedFTed
why not

I wish I could help ya more Ed. I'm not any good at anything 'till I can get my own hands on it and begin doin' stuff myself. I never seem to win unless I'm hands-on... an underachiever until I do, an overachiever once I choose to do... think idiot savant. :-)

Have a great Christmas Ed. Lets pick this up on the other side.... never give up.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 6:03 AM, retro said:

I wish I could help ya more Ed. I'm not any good at anything 'till I can get my own hands on it and begin doin' stuff myself. I never seem to win unless I'm hands-on... an underachiever until I do, an overachiever once I choose to do... think idiot savant. :-)

Have a great Christmas Ed. Lets pick this up on the other side.... never give up.

seeing is believing.  well at least sorta. its hard to paint a picture, that others will see the same way.  i am kinda fond of idiot savant, style of thinking.

were my grandparents, still alive., on both sides, it would be like explaining how AC works, to someone that uses a fan for cooling. or why an oscillating fan works better.

see ya on the other side.

Never surrender...

• Like 1

Well, i took me a while, but i got two OS's on the SSD[electronic drive]. i formatted the drive fist, and formed the partitions. so i made a classic mistake. 1st picture...

i've been stuck on that for a long time.

Fix: No root file system is defined. - YouTube

^^this helped me solve the problem^^.  i've been looking for this, over years. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. for me, at least a thousand days. damx, it was so easy.

anyway this is what i got now[2nd, picture]. the reason that bar is red is i changed the color. i dont remember which web page i visited, at the moment, but i did save the bookmark.

i couldnt have done this without help here and there. The spirit of this site is worldwide..  🙂

my mistake was in the partitioning sort of. i dont know how to explain it exactly. i think while partitioning, you have do do the format then. that way you can insert the / ....

else it dont come up in the menu.

DSCN2815.JPG

DSCN2816.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
forgot something
  • Like 2

Hey Fish;

new machine & 2 new operating systems.. still got work to do. 2 drives. so far i only got 1 working.

Got to say though, that motor bicycle, is impressive as well!!

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Hey Fish;

new machine & 2 new operating systems.. still got work to do. 2 drives. so far i only got 1 working.

Got to say though, that motor bicycle, is impressive as well!!

Ted  , I can spin a wrench or use a grinder , but struggle to program my remote control for the TV ,  you the man !!!

well; i'm still struggling, with the newer google phones. most have android also. they use up data, even if ya dont use them. i dont trust them.. your being recorded, or heard, even if ya dont want too..

i have trouble with the remote controll. though you can talk to it. it hasnt helped any an, "i dont want to talk to a controll". i dont use the computer check out, at the Kroger, the voice is always ! at me. your too slow, or else hurry up. least thats the the way i perceive it.  an ornery electronic ! machine. give me a person every time.

call at&t, you cant get past the programming to complain, or resolve a problem..

press 1 for english., is about as far as ya will get. i got reasons for not pushing two. no hablo espainyo.  only they had a 3 option., back water kentucky., or country kentucky. live on the side of a hill., or hilly ground.

today i talked to someone, about my KY insurance, she was in Arizona 70f . 40f here at the time, 23f later. she was friendly though. try to find a friendly AI [artificial intelligence] friendly. might as well talk to a congress person. ;~}

Edited by LedFTed

On 1/30/2021 at 6:11 AM, Fishfiles said:

Ted  , I can spin a wrench or use a grinder , but struggle to program my remote control for the TV ,  you the man !!!

i got my wrenches, snap-on, still got my grinder. an some other tools. too many faces. as a jockey, mechanic, in a way. cept, i didnt make it to jockey., durn 2 year olds.

Edited by LedFTed

well i got an HDD to play with., only 250GB.  it has to be of some use. i think i could get a bigger HDD. maybe some of the older ones are better?. IDK. i still need to know if i can use puppy.

not as advanced as Ubuntu, but can use the Ubuntu repository. i could put puppy on the HDD drive., just thinking out loud. i still got to isolate Windows, put it in a dream world, where it thinks its important. lots to do, yet...

Yep you can install Puppy on the HDD ya got and it should be added to your GRUB boot menu automatically by the Puppy installer. You can install and run as many winDOS instances as ya wish inside Virtual Box, which can be installed in your distros from the software manager programs. Hollar if ya like some more info about Virtual Box.

15 hours ago, retro said:

Yep you can install Puppy on the HDD ya got and it should be added to your GRUB boot menu automatically by the Puppy installer. You can install and run as many winDOS instances as ya wish inside Virtual Box, which can be installed in your distros from the software manager programs. Hollar if ya like some more info about Virtual Box.

i been thinking a lot about Virtual Box.  a good place to run winDOS. i sent a pm before i read this., so your at least 14 hrs ahead of me, least in this thread. light years in other's. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed
IDK
  • Like 1

• i had to chance the lubuntu partition, went from 50 to 70 GB's. i was trying to install CUDA rendering software for 3-d. lucky my Ge Force GT 1030,
  • 2GBSCLow Profile video card supports thas. GDD5R.. Glad i was listing sum to my adviser. r
  • first pict., didnt take well. only i could remember how i changed the color scheme in terminal. did it once, i'l do it again. YeHah

DSCN2820.JPG

DSCN2821.JPG

Edited by LedFTed

Still working on quite a few things. now, i want to know about VPN's, something thats good, an inexpensive. [if there is such a critter].

You can create your own VPN servers anywhere in the world ya want to, but it's a lot cheaper to just pay one of the VPN company's by the month. The only VPNs worth using are the ones that do not log anything at all on their servers, so there are very few VPN options that actually work like they are marketed to work. There are NONE on the North America continent that do not log.

Bottom line: If a VPN company is logging anything at all, then don't give them a nickel, because the private network that you're paying them to provide is NOT private. They'll sell you down the river.... and govcorp will get records of all of your activities for free, re: The Patriot Act, which stripped all humans of their natural born right to be left alone.

• Thanks 1

most of the gov., sites i have to visit, dont work unless ya allow google. that makes me feel real safe. 😝

Where is that upchuck Emoji?, when ya need it.

Edited by LedFTed

i got blender on lubuntu an i'll try the one ya was talking bout on mint.. i gotta waste another $6.00, on the derby. ya never know when ya might cash in. ;~}

just for prosperity, or something like that. i figure the horses owe me, i got many to the race track, without beating on them. i just give them a little bit of my spirit.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2