AK Talon

New member here

Finally getting settled in AK. Trying to get my ‘04 Foreman Rubicon 500 up and running. Before we moved, had an issue with it “loading up” then popping (mechanical) in reverse. Worked in forward, just not reverse. Then had to store it outside for a month while we vacated the house and packed. WOW! The mice had a fine old time in that little bit! Chewed up the wiring around the battery and nested in the air box. So it looks like a good tear down to check out the rest of the wiring along with checking into the drivetrain. It was one of my dad’s machines and is low mileage/hours. So far fluids look ok on dip stick/ fills. Haven’t drained them yet. Want to get it up and running for winter plowing up here.

2 hours ago, AK Talon said:

Finally getting settled in AK. Trying to get my ‘04 Foreman Rubicon 500 up and running. Before we moved, had an issue with it “loading up” then popping (mechanical) in reverse. Worked in forward, just not reverse. Then had to store it outside for a month while we vacated the house and packed. WOW! The mice had a fine old time in that little bit! Chewed up the wiring around the battery and nested in the air box. So it looks like a good tear down to check out the rest of the wiring along with checking into the drivetrain. It was one of my dad’s machines and is low mileage/hours. So far fluids look ok on dip stick/ fills. Haven’t drained them yet. Want to get it up and running for winter plowing up here.

Welcome AK' , I am not a Rubi' guy , but seem to have read that they have a rev limiter while in reverse so as to not over rev them , so that popping / sputtering is par for the course --- I hate me some mice 

Yo Fishfiles, it wasn’t like a limiter. It was like cranking on a come-along with tension. Then BANG! It’s all loose. 

20 hours ago, AK Talon said:

Yo Fishfiles, it wasn’t like a limiter. It was like cranking on a come-along with tension. Then BANG! It’s all loose. 

Maybe the swash plate binding up?

I have a couple of Rubicons, but haven't been into a Rubi engine yet. 

@Brian Bertram is the Rubicon expert but I don't think he's on here much. 

• Like 1

Talked to a guy at the auto parts store today while I was waiting in line. He said that wiring damage could cause a host of issues with the Hondamatic. Just looked into a new main harness ~$350. Just have to finish pulling the rest of the body off to see how much ate. Need new filters, oil, gear lube and coolant so far. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:24 PM, AK Talon said:

Talked to a guy at the auto parts store today while I was waiting in line. He said that wiring damage could cause a host of issues with the Hondamatic. Just looked into a new main harness ~$350. Just have to finish pulling the rest of the body off to see how much ate. Need new filters, oil, gear lube and coolant so far. 

Mice chewed up the same wires on two of my TRX 420's a few years ago. Just buy some wire, heat shrink, a small soldering iron and that thin wire solder. Just relax, have a friend there with you to hold things and have at it!!