jstatham

1998 Forman 400 wiring Help

I just picked up yesterday a 1998 Foreman 400 that I am planning on using for parts. Before I tear down the engine I wanted to see if I could get it to run. Evidentially the starter button went out and the guy butchered the wiring harness trying to get it to run. My question what would be the easiest way to get it to run without taking my wiring harness off my good running machine. Is there a way I could park my good bike beside the bad and make some kind of jumper wires to use my good harness and CDI so I can get it to turn over and possibly crank. The pull start is removed but the starter is there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also got another 450 engine in the deal and would like to do the same with it.

1 hour ago, jstatham said:

I just picked up yesterday a 1998 Foreman 400 that I am planning on using for parts. Before I tear down the engine I wanted to see if I could get it to run. Evidentially the starter button went out and the guy butchered the wiring harness trying to get it to run. My question what would be the easiest way to get it to run without taking my wiring harness off my good running machine. Is there a way I could park my good bike beside the bad and make some kind of jumper wires to use my good harness and CDI so I can get it to turn over and possibly crank. The pull start is removed but the starter is there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also got another 450 engine in the deal and would like to do the same with it.

other than having the wire harness connected the right way ?, you can't take short cuts just to see if the engine will run. start with getting the service manual from our site here, start tracing the butchered wires, and see if you can at least splice in some good wires to the correct harness side to switch or what ever to make a good connection. you need a good neutral light, good ground, kill switch set to center so you do not ground the spark plug coil. oil temp light comes on, goes off when you turn the key on, if ya got all this right ?, it should spark the spark plug. use a VERY SHORT burst of starting fluid just to see it the engine will at least '' hit '' ?.