shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: just got back from my buds place. picked up a lower engine skid plate, all rear fender stays are rusted on mine, got them off the frame there. got a better 12 volt outlet, lower steering bearing, dust seal, and snap ring. air temp sensor ( this one was cut at plug !. ), and a complete 450 lower engine that is a mixture of electric shift at the front, and manual shift on rear ?..haha..someone must converted it to manual shift at one point ?..I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WOULD DO SUCH A THING ?!!..( YEAH..RIGHT ! )...ROFL.

Remember that the ES gears are different than the foot shift gears in the 450. The foot shift gears are stronger

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Remember that the ES gears are different than the foot shift gears in the 450. The foot shift gears are stronger

yeah..just checked..but was good to read, the trx300-trx300fw uses the very same gears as the 450fm !. also..the trx400fm is same gears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

update: just placed another large order, got both front and rear rims, itp mudlite AT tires, seat, meter, rear axle tube bearing and seal,swing arm bearings, couple new swing arm drive shaft boot bands, upper head light and i'm sure i am forgetting something on this order ?. only thing i need now is a battery and engine oil. no rush on getting all these parts, but i do need the meter in order to run the engine. jeep mailed the carb off, so i need to order a carb rebuild kit for that.

• Like 1

update: well..from the looks of my tracking numbers on an order or two ?, some engine parts should get here today, but no gasket kit is in sight ?!..aghhhh..its still somewhere in FL ?, go figure ...right ?. gonna head to wally world here in a bit, pick up some gloss black spray paint, and start getting this frame touched up. will update later.

• Like 2

update: here is the frame painted, all i am going to do as far as the frame goes. got a few parts in today, but no gasket kit...aghhhh !!. so i'mma head back out to shop, do what i can for now, then wait until i get the gasket kit in, that shows ??..too be here friday ( tomorrow ) ?, we'll see how that pans out..lol.

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: here is the frame painted, all i am going to do as far as the frame goes. got a few parts in today, but no gasket kit...aghhhh !!. so i'mma head back out to shop, do what i can for now, then wait until i get the gasket kit in, that shows ??..too be here friday ( tomorrow ) ?, we'll see how that pans out..lol.

IMG_0388.JPG

That an orange 350 Rancher back there?  Spill it!

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

umm..yes, '02 trx350fm i rebuilt for catfish, its for sale, but his asking price is too high..and he did not want to buy new oem parts for it, so i just put it back together as best i could. I DID REBUILD THE ENGINE !.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

here it is, '02 trx350fm.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

• Like 1

That looks good!  New OEM rear flares are high as Tommy Chong aren't they?

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that you didn't bend that bar back on the rear rack.  You're slipping old man!  No build thread?  Seriously?

Market has definitely softened a bit now that we've gone a bit without any "stimulus money" to the general public, along with this runaway inflation we're seeing.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

That looks good!  New OEM rear flares are high as Tommy Chong aren't they?

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that you didn't bend that bar back on the rear rack.  You're slipping old man!  No build thread?  Seriously?

Market has definitely softened a bit now that we've gone a bit without any "stimulus money" to the general public, along with this runaway inflation we're seeing.

i did not do a build thread on it because he had me a tad mad because he would not replace the parts that needed it, so i said screw it, i'll do the engine, fix what has to be fixed the best and fastest way i can ?, and let-r-rip. no i did not bend the rear rack bar up, like i said, its his, no money, i did not care at that point. if it was mine to sell ?, then yes...i would have done it right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

i did not do a build thread on it because he had me a tad mad because he would not replace the parts that needed it, so i said screw it, i'll do the engine, fix what has to be fixed the best and fastest way i can ?, and let-r-rip. no i did not bend the rear rack bar up, like i said, its his, no money, i did not care at that point. if it was mine to sell ?, then yes...i would have done it right.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those conversations lol

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those conversations lol

oh man, no you would not !..i've lit into him more than once about going cheap on parts ?!. lets just say..i know when to do good work ?, and i know when to let it ride for cheap folks ?..lol. sad part about it, is he's asking way to much for the way it looks ?..oh well..i tried to tell him..'' you want high dollar '' ?..then you fork out the cash for the correct parts !. '' you have to spend money in order to make money '' and thats the rest of the story..lol.

• Like 1

update: worked on installing my oil seals earlier today, got down to the reverse shift lever rod seal, and low an behold, it went in crooked, and ruined it ( gotta love yellow huh ? ) i'll call my local honda dealer friday morning, ask if they have one in stock ?, if they do..i'll go get it, install it. not gonna order another one from rmatv, and wait another week..lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Man when it rains it pours doesn't it ?  Lol! 

yep..this mellow yellow hates me..rofl.

• Haha 2

The main thing is the GF don't .... Lol!  

I read jeep was going you w ays to go about that bent rear rack on that orange bike ......... I was all ready to grab some popcorn and watch you two pick at each other, lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

update: just got back from my local honda dealer, they had the oil seal in stock, grabbed it, just got back home, and looked to see if the complete engine gasket kit is out for delivery ?, yep. will be putting the engine back together '' some time '' today/tonight ?..lol.

• Like 3

update: got my gasket kit in today, finished putting the engine back together. not sure if i'll stab it back in frame tonight or not ?, but here it is all shinny !.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

• Like 5

update: well..started in on installing the front diff, had to repair a drive axle boot, got those installed. went to inspect the front a-arms and knuckles from my 450 stash ( ones that came on the 450 were trashed !. ), while looking over the front wheel bearings in my stash knuckles, discovered both of the wheel bearings were bad. ok..made a call to my local honda dealer, asked parts guy if they have the wheel bearings, inner , outer dust seals, he say's yep, come on down, made the drive, got down there...first thing i noticed was the wheel bearing's had inner seals in them ?..he's like..yeah..they come like that now..ok..i left, got home, after further inspection on the wheel bearing package..they were in a clear bag, no honda markings on them at all ?, ok..what ever..went to drive them down into the knuckle, and the inner bottom race fell out ??!..then it dawns on me..THESE ARE NOT HONDA WHEEL BEARINGS !!, i called my dealer back up, got that guy on the phone..explained the problem, THEN I WENT OFF ON HIM..WHY DID YOU SELL ME CHINA BEARINGS ????..he replied..thats all we have. i replied..IF I WANTED CHINA BEARINGS ?..I COULDA GOT THEM FROM EBAY AT A LOWER COST !!!, or ordered them from honda ( rmatv ) !!!. he said..if ya want yer money back ?, bring them back..i'll refund your money, i said..too late..i installed them, i went further to give him some more of my mind..YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME ON THE PHONE ALL YOU HAD WAS CHINA SH----T !!. I WAS MAD I TELL YA !. anyway, got the front end together some, got the meter installed, part of the headlight bucket installed, ignition switch and dash installed for now. handle bars cleaned up, some paint on them. just came in..i'm tired. 

here is a few pics of my progress. got a delivery of some parts today, ( no pic's ! ), got my tires, seat, trunk strap, meter ( already installed in pic ), a couple other small items, oh..AND 3 BRAND NEW HONDA RIMS !, notice i said 3 ?..haha..they shipped 3 of them..instead of 4 i ordered !, lady at rmatv said it shows to be here monday ?, got some more packages coming, 2 going by her ?, one from usps, other by fedex. i told her on the phone..i sure hope its the rest of my parts ?..or when i call back monday, YOU DANG WELL BETTER HAVE EAR PLUGS STUCK IN YOUR EARS ?!!..LOL. P.S. the front hubs are only on temp for now, until i get the front disk brake kit.

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

• Like 3

update: just came in from shop, called it a night. got my shindy carb kit in, as well as the carb jeep sent me, figured i'd tackle that real quick, turned into one thing after another. first on the carb : set it up on my bench, took some b4 pics, but did not take any after pics. first thing i noticed right off the bat, the top of the carb !, it was a lot more shiny than the rest of the dirty carb for one ?, and second, it was dented in on the top ?. np..i got spares. then i noticed the primer on the bottom of the bowl ?, it had a rip in the rubber part ?, and..it also had shiny screws in it ?, ok..these two parts are ..yep..you guessed it..CHINA !..LOL. now i got to come up with a primer !. i did find a couple in my stash, but there is no way to get them apart, in order to get the rubber transferred over to the good one i have ?..or is there !..haha..ok..for all you folks that wonder what you do in this case ?, i used a small drift punch, and knock the center rod on the knob, down, and out of the crush washer in the center..walla..got it apart, got the rubber off, moved it over to the one i had, and got a working plunger !. i do not know yet if its gonna leak ?, i do not have have fuel in the carb yet ?. 

then i started in on the light switch, got it all cleaned up, screwed on the freshly painted handle bars, then i had to do the same with the brake lever for the left side, got that all cleaned up, pushed the new red reverse button on the reverse button. got the new grips on, as well as the end caps and bolts. then i got the right brake master cylinder bolted on, throttle screwed on, throttle cable ran to carb, swapped out the choke cable for a brand new cable. i got a new hand brake cable, as well as a brand new reverse cable to go on the left lever..but not ready to install those. before i closed shop, i pulled the front lower lights out from under the bench, started tearing the buckets out of the light holders, i stopped after i got the buckets out of the holders, called it a night, no pics of all this..i'll try to get some sunday, and post them.