NB Floyd

Engine cuts out at hard left turn

When I am riding slow, and I make a hard left turn ( all the way to the stop or a hair less ) the engine cuts out.  

It doesnt seem to be any snagged or caught wires coming from the kill shift / shifter control.   

Anyone had anything like this happen before ?  You think it is wire connection being pulled apart somehow ?

it restarts no problem.  

The bike really runs great.    Starts and idles well.    

Thank you!

It is a 2004 450 ES 

I would bet that the wiring around the handle bar base has been moved around in it's past and the wires are being pulled part or , might have rubbed a spot and grounding out , when the bars are turned 

Can you get it to do it when sitting still? Like turning it hard, or leaning it over, shaking it? Could also be the carb, but thats a slim alternative.

Yes.   I can get it to cut out when sitting, when I turned handlebars to the left.  

I just removed the old winch control wires since they were ziptied to some wiring in the front.  

That seemed to make it better.   

I have some tight wooded trails , so definitely a lot of tighter turns at low speed.   

Does the choke cable have enough play and free movement? If it's tight then it will choke the machine when turning and possibly flood it enough to kill it.

• Like 1

I had one , when you would turn one way the throttle would go up to mid way and stay as long as the bars were turned that way  , kind of scary , tight quarters going round tight trees >>>>  it was my fault for bad routing ----  it is easy to misroute a wire or  cable when things are apart or when replacing pieces 

I put cables  in by using extra wide duct tape...... Just tape the handle bar end of the new cable to the tail end of the old cable and thread it, it's still a pita, but least the cable is right, depending on if its ever been re routed by a PO........ Never had tried this with a wire harness, but i don't think it would work. 

Thanks for all the input.  

Should the electric cable be routed under the brake / reverse cables?

Below is a pic of how it sits now.  

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, NB Floyd said:

Thanks for all the input.  

Should the electric cable be routed under the brake / reverse cables?

Below is a pic of how it sits now.  

image.jpeg

yes, shift harness under bars. follow from switch, under bars, all the way under the dash.

An update:

I rerouted brake / reverse cable , to go over the shifter / kill switch wiring, to keep from rubbing.   

I zip tied the shifter / kill switch wiring to the base of the handlebars.    

It was much improved , but not fixed. 

I noticed that the throttle cable was binding on the choke adjustment knob.  So I zip tied the cable to the base of the choke adjustment bracket.  

took it for a good ride, with plenty of tight turns and it did great, never cut off once. 

hope it stays fixed.    Thanks again for all the great advice.    

• Like 5