WonderMonkey

Buying Enclosed Trailer For Hunting and ATV Hauling

The mold issue in our hunt cabin has began to accelerate and my brother and another hunt buddy have purchased enclosed trailers to convert into hunt campers.  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting one myself.  I will also be hauling my atv in the back where they put theirs in the back of their trucks.  My question to the crowd is the barn door rear opening versus the ramp.  The ramp is great for driving the atv right up into the trailer but having a barn door makes it easier to open to get to something that is at that end.  With barn doors I'd certainly have to carry ramps.  Have you already worked through this decision?  If so, what did you come up with?

How long is the trailer you looking at? you going to build bunks in it? A Buddy heater hooked to a 20lb propane bottle would keep it warm. You could rig up some 12v lights using a group 27 deep cycle/ marine batteries. Lots of goodies you could add.

aluminum ramps shouldnt be all that heavy, nor take up to much space.

Could go ether way.... But I'm going with ramps, cause... You can use those more often.. With or without the trailor, n I'm a kill multipul birds with one stone..guy.... The more uses i can get from a single item ? I'm going that route cause in the long run. It'll save time money headaches and space... Example... Take that crockpot / griddle... I got... Does much more then just what a plain crock does...hence two birds one throw... But that's just my thinking... Tuned in.... I'd like to hear what @Wheeler and @SlammedRanger would think... Both (i think) have similar setups ? 

Drop down doors are the most common around here for ATVs with a side man door on them. If there's any twisting to the frame the barn doors can pop open or be difficult to open and close. DO NOT use a non-vented heater in the trailer, they have killed far too many people in that situation. Use a direct vent heater. Make sure you insulate the trailer or you will have condensation like mad. Make sure you have ventilation also. I would recommend the Aluma brand or something like it. 

I have a 26 foot toyhauler. With the ramp on the back. I personally like the ramp. Its easy and takes up zero room. I have ramps for when i load into my truck and the worst thing about them is they are too long for the bed and its always a fight to get them in a safe place. The ramp actually doubles as a porch aswell. Put some leveling jacks on the end and it turns into a nice platform extending the living space a bit. They even make side rails and doors and steps for them if you want to get real crazy. We have never used ours that way tho. Have had 4 full size quads in it tho. One of the best purchases i have ever made honestly. Having your own bathroom and shower. And bed when your riding places is a game changer.

• Like 3