Tacoma88

1988 honda foreman 350d fan issues

Hi everyone I’m new to this page and looking for alittle help if someone can help figure out an issue. I have 1988 honda foreman 350d and I have to replace the fan control unit on it and the one that has the correct wiring is discontinued. Soo I have to go aftermarket, the wires on the after market aren’t the same color at all. Soo I was wondering if someone had an idea of which color wire to hook up to what wire. From the Honda it’s I have 

blue wire

green wire

black and brown wire

white wire 

blue and red wire 

light blue wire 

coming off the new control unit has two different plugs one plug with two wires 

yellow 

black and white 

the second plug has 4 wires

green

Red blue 

yellow green

red yellow

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome aboard.  Most of the aftermarket stuff you can get for these machines is utter garbage.

Did you try baking your OEM module?  Some of our electrical guys here have found that putting a CDI or FCU in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 7 minutes )plug facing up) will often bring them back to life.

Also, if you want to change your username to something OTHER than your email, just in case spam bots copy it and send even more spam your way, let me know what you want your username to be and I'll change it.

I think this forum is less susceptible to some of the internet mal stuff that goes on, but still better to not have personal contact info posted where searching bots can find and copy it.

Thanks, for replying before I joined this I saw someone mention that and I tried it didn’t work but I also didn’t put it that hot soo I’ll try that first thanks for the advice. I’ll try it and I have no idea how to change my username lol 

14 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thanks, for replying before I joined this I saw someone mention that and I tried it didn’t work but I also didn’t put it that hot soo I’ll try that first thanks for the advice. I’ll try it and I have no idea how to change my username lol 

Tell me what you want it to be, and I'll change it for you.

Soo I put it in the oven a 450 for 7 min then let it gradually cook down and hooked up and let the atv run for a little bit, fan still didn’t turn on. How long do you usually have to let it run before the the fan kicks on, if the control unit is working ? 

On 8/30/2023 at 7:09 AM, Tacoma88 said:

Soo I put it in the oven a 450 for 7 min then let it gradually cook down and hooked up and let the atv run for a little bit, fan still didn’t turn on. How long do you usually have to let it run before the the fan kicks on, if the control unit is working ? 

The older air cooled Hondas have to get pretty dang hot for the fan to come on. 

That said, I think you might find this thread helpful.  "Disconnect the oil temp sensor lead and touch it to the footpeg. The oil light should come on steady and fan should come on"

Oil temp sensor should be #33 on right side of engine.  Should be one wire going to that sensor.  Pull it off and touch it to your footpeg with the key on.  Fan and oil temp light should come on.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx350d-a-fourtrax-forman-4x4/right-crankcase-cover

And this one.

• Like 1

I was just looking around and located this shade posted this back in 2010....

just restored my trx350d foreman..and it takes alot of heat..around 400 or 500 f to make the oil cooler fan to come on..

i still plan in doing that add on diy programmable fan control unit on the 00 300... I put the hondaline cooling kit fan and brackets on, but I'm not hacking the wire harness to run the oem fan control unit... IMO a programmable one is way better....but when i saw shades post... Now have some idea of the temps it triggers at.. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

If you get tired of trying to get it back to stock , run into a dead end  or parts are not available for the older unit ----- you can go to a site such as Summit Racing and buy a electric fan controller pretty cheap, they come with a sensor that slides into the fins of the cooler and the unit can be adjusted to the temperature you want it to come on and go off 

• Like 1

Hey guys I have a 1988 Honda foreman 350d I was on here while ago seeking help for my cooling fan not turning on. But now I have a different issue I lost my spark, I’ve replaced the cdi box twice now I’ve replace the ignition coil, ive replaced the stator, when I replaced the stator which also came with a new voltage regulator and got spark then got everything back together and then went to start and lost spark again unplugged the cdi box and plugged it back in and got spark again for a sec then no spark also when turning the key the neutral light comes on but the oil temp light comes on then goes off I forget if that’s normal or not but I’m at a loss of what could be the issue anyone have any ideas to help me out ? Would be greatly appreciated lol

28 minutes ago, Tacoma88 said:

Hey guys I have a 1988 Honda foreman 350d I was on here while ago seeking help for my cooling fan not turning on. But now I have a different issue I lost my spark, I’ve replaced the cdi box twice now I’ve replace the ignition coil, ive replaced the stator, when I replaced the stator which also came with a new voltage regulator and got spark then got everything back together and then went to start and lost spark again unplugged the cdi box and plugged it back in and got spark again for a sec then no spark also when turning the key the neutral light comes on but the oil temp light comes on then goes off I forget if that’s normal or not but I’m at a loss of what could be the issue anyone have any ideas to help me out ? Would be greatly appreciated lol

first off, the fan must get REALLY HOT before it kicks on. if it will not come on at all ?, this either means the fan control unit is bad ?, or the oil temp sensor is bad ?. or...the fan itself is bad ?. you  can test the fan by hooking a 12 volt battery straight to the fan to see if it runs ?. as for the oil light coming on, then going off ?, this is how they work. as for the c.d.i. where did you buy a c.d.i. for it ?, as they are discontinued today, so this tells me you got it from ebay or amazon, and both are chINA junk for one, and for two, most sellers have no clue what they are selling you, cuz they will '' claim '' it works on all years from '86-'89...AND THEY DON'T !. '' most '' trx350D's won't fire the spark plug if the fan control stops working. sooo..you need to sort out the fan control first before you go chasing a spark issue. hopefully you still have the old c.d.i. that you removed from it ?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

first off, the fan must get REALLY HOT before it kicks on. if it will not come on at all ?, this either means the fan control unit is bad ?, or the oil temp sensor is bad ?. or...the fan itself is bad ?. you  can test the fan by hooking a 12 volt battery straight to the fan to see if it runs ?. as for the oil light coming on, then going off ?, this is how they work. as for the c.d.i. where did you buy a c.d.i. for it ?, as they are discontinued today, so this tells me you got it from ebay or amazon, and both are chINA junk for one, and for two, most sellers have no clue what they are selling you, cuz they will '' claim '' it works on all years from '86-'89...AND THEY DON'T !. '' most '' trx350D's won't fire the spark plug if the fan control stops working. sooo..you need to sort out the fan control first before you go chasing a spark issue. hopefully you still have the old c.d.i. that you removed from it ?.

I’ve already tested the fan with a battery and it works, I just realized the the fan fuse was blown so replaced it now every time I turn the key fan turns on, and I’m pretty sure the fan control is bad but no ideas where to get a replacement for it. But yes I got everything off amazon honestly. I do believe I still have the original cdi box. 

4 hours ago, Tacoma88 said:

I’ve already tested the fan with a battery and it works, I just realized the the fan fuse was blown so replaced it now every time I turn the key fan turns on, and I’m pretty sure the fan control is bad but no ideas where to get a replacement for it. But yes I got everything off amazon honestly. I do believe I still have the original cdi box. 

salvage atv yard, such as power sports nation may have a fan control unit ?. as for amazon parts ?..they are nothing but china junk...PURE JUNK !!. do not waste your money and time with them. if the fan comes on when the key is on ?, then either the fan control unit is bad ?, or they wired the fan to come on all the time when key is on ?. deff should replace the fan control unit and oil temp sensor. the oil temp sensor controls the fan control unit. start by replacing the oil temp sensor. bottom right hand side, behind the metal plate. you can lift the right side up a good ways, and be able to get the sensor out without having to drain the oil. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE SENSOR WHILE ATV IS SITTING FLAT !!, YOU WILL HAVE A OIL MESS FAST !..LOL. pay attention to the sealing washer that must be on the oil temp sensor when replacing sensor.

okay thanks for the info I will look into it and see what I can do and get back to you with the results thanks for the help I appreciate it. 

Try baking your original CDI and fan control unit.   Preheat oven to 450, put both in with plugs facing up for 7 mins.  Take out, let cool, see what you get.

People have been baking them with pretty good results for a long time.  I think it was @AKATV who actually nailed the temp and length of time down.   I've resuscitated a 450 fan controller and a couple of CDi's that way now.

• Like 1

Okay thanks for the tip I will try that first hopefully it works cuz I really don’t want to spend $110 without shipping right now for two parts not knowing if it’s going to fix the issues or not. I still can’t figure out why it all of sudden went out because I had it running just fine and just had to figure out the cooling fan and next thing I know I’ve got nothing lol

Hey guys I have a ? I’ve been looking for a pen cdi and cooling fan control unit and found a guy on eBay selling one and selling a cdi too but the cooling fan control box is off a 86 and the cdi is off a 87 and I have a 88 do you guys think it will still work for mine ?

Power sports nation has several fan control boxes for an 88. around $17 if I remember correctly. I did not see any cdi boxes though. My son has an 88 300 we just got running. I had to get a couple parts from there. 

4 hours ago, Tacoma88 said:

Hey guys I have a ? I’ve been looking for a pen cdi and cooling fan control unit and found a guy on eBay selling one and selling a cdi too but the cooling fan control box is off a 86 and the cdi is off a 87 and I have a 88 do you guys think it will still work for mine ?

nope...what ever parts you locate ?..THE PARTS MUST BE FOR A '88 !.