shadetree

Building my deer box blind ( shade shack )

A small engine guru going to buy new junk instead of fixing the old treasures he had…..for shame!

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

A small engine guru going to buy new junk instead of fixing the old treasures he had…..for shame!

man..i have spent hrs and hrs working on both of those mac's, and when i say i've had enough ?..i've had enough !. time, money, and my nerves has gone out the window. as for the new junk ?..yes !!..you nailed that spot on !. just returned that piece of junk, would not start to save my life ??!. i drug out my 100lb, 18in craftsman, fired right up..AFTER SITTING FOR A LONG TIME MIND YOU !. ( they made them good yrs ago )..but yes..anything made today ?..junk !. last but not least ?..i am great at atvs and motorcycles ( 4 stroke ! ) 2 strokes such as small engines is not my cup of tea..lol.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately almost all new saws are set very lean from the factory I have read so they can meet EPA standards.  Almost every new saw has to have the carbs set richer to run or run right.  We talked earlier shade and agreed, when you buy a new saw you should not have to mess with it to run.  If bought from a "good" saw shop they likely will do that for you, but Lowes wouldn't have a clue......

• Like 3

@bcsman yes saws right off the shelf or out of the box - like you said they need to be set a tad richer to run right

On 5/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, shadetree said:

man..i have spent hrs and hrs working on both of those mac's, and when i say i've had enough ?..i've had enough !. time, money, and my nerves has gone out the window. as for the new junk ?..yes !!..you nailed that spot on !. just returned that piece of junk, would not start to save my life ??!. i drug out my 100lb, 18in craftsman, fired right up..AFTER SITTING FOR A LONG TIME MIND YOU !. ( they made them good yrs ago )..but yes..anything made today ?..junk !. last but not least ?..i am great at atvs and motorcycles ( 4 stroke ! ) 2 strokes such as small engines is not my cup of tea..lol.

I know the feeling.   I messed with my old 9.9 Evinrude for a while, took it to a boat motor guy to fix.

I don't like the tiny 2 stroke stuff either.  I'm strictly a parts swapper on that stuff.

update: my new saw mcculloch, 16 inch, 35cc, case, bottle of oil, manual, open box, never ran ( hasn't either..i checked it after i took it out of the box )..arrived here today !. some habits are hard to break ?.mine is using a known well made product, and it to me..is like a mercury, and McCulloch that is made in heaven !..lol. here is a couple pic right out of the box. if and when the weather gets better around here ( and at the deer camp )..i'll take this baby down there to start clearing some more tree's where i left off when my other saws bit the dust.

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

• Like 1

At your age shade an electric saw would be better for you to handle.

14 hours ago, TBRider said:

I made fun of those electric chainsaws but my FIL has a Stihl and that thing cuts great.   I was really surprised!

22 hours ago, TBRider said:

what good is an ele saw going to do in the middle of no where ?, and second..do you really think a ele saw is going to cut a 12-18 inch tree up fairly easy ?..lol. lastly...just how dang old do you think i am..90 ?..rofl. anyway, i've got a 14 inch dewalt battery ( 20v ) pole saw, comes in really handy when needing to reach high limbs in the way, love it !.

• Haha 2

I thought you were around 90 yea...

🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 2

I'm pushing 50, and I'm a Jr, so we have a new girl at work who's 22 IIRC who saw Dad/my name on the schedule, with a birthday in 1938.   She said "You look really young to be that old!"

I guess when you're 22 everyone over 40 is "old"

14 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm pushing 50, and I'm a Jr, so we have a new girl at work who's 22 IIRC who saw Dad/my name on the schedule, with a birthday in 1938.   She said "You look really young to be that old!"

I guess when you're 22 everyone over 40 is "old"

lol..just rememebr..its not just the age we are ?..it's also what we have been through during those yrs, and trust me..i've been around the block a time or two..rofl.

• Haha 1