shadetree

Building my deer box blind ( shade shack )

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The guys round here buy this camo stuff from Academy , Tractor Supply has it some times 

i bought some of that when i had the old blind, it was ok when you are up high ?, but when i ( was ) going to have my new blind on the ground ?, you can see right through one window , right out to the window behind me, in other words, the deer could make me out. so i went with black curtains, and let me tell ya..standing in front of the main window i shoot out of, and looking in..you can not see anything inside..let alone the light coming from the window behind me, it works very well.

• Like 1

update: well...the game plan has changed once again !..lol. spoke to al tonight ( earlier ) he say's we'll just build you a bottom frame stand from scratch. the game plan is to give the old stand to another member so he has a better stand than what he has now, for helping us get my stand up. ok..this means building a whole new bottom frame to sit my new stand on. so now i have to buy even more lumber to make this happen..lol. i'm off to lowes tomorrow to pick up more lumber it seems.

• Like 4

Well at least lumber has come down a bit.

I got sheets of 1/4" plywood for $22ish to reroof my shop this summer.  Last year the same sheets of CDX were $80ish.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well at least lumber has come down a bit.

I got sheets of 1/4" plywood for $22ish to reroof my shop this summer.  Last year the same sheets of CDX were $80ish.

indeed, lumber prices have came down a tad. spent 250 bucks today for another load of lumber..sigh..lol. least it will be built right !.

update: ok, first trip out today was to academy sports to purchase 4 brackets to use 4x4 post in. these seem very well thought out for Rasing a deer stand. then off i went to lowes to buy some lumber. got 4-4x4x10' treated post, 3-2x6x8', and some treated 2x4x10' , 2x4x12' for bracing and to make a ladder. here is all this loaded on my trailer. still need to load all my tools and such that will go in my truck bed.

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, shadetree said:

indeed, lumber prices have came down a tad. spent 250 bucks today for another load of lumber..sigh..lol. least it will be built right !.

Still a lot cheaper than buying one of those premade "Redneck Blinds" and you'd still have to build a platform for them too!

20 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Still a lot cheaper than buying one of those premade "Redneck Blinds" and you'd still have to build a platform for them too!

oh trust me...i priced those blinds out...good lord !..and flimsy as all get out !. and yes..you still have to build the platform, and some of them do not even come with windows !.

• Like 1

No windows ? ....... 

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

some of them do not even come with windows !.

Thats a head scratcher...... lol! 

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

No windows ? ....... 

Thats a head scratcher...... lol! 

for real !..oh...you can get windows for them ?..IF YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THEM !..LOL.

• Haha 1

just got the truck hooked to trailer, truck is all loaded, ready to roll out when the time comes. i'll get some pic's when my '' shade shack '' is up and sitting in my spot !.

• Like 4

update: here is a couple pic's of my stand in its spot !. we left to go put my old stand up in its new spot, then i had to come back to trim some trees, put some brush/limbs around the base, i did not get any pics of this being done. i still need to put the carpet back down inside, put the chair back together. i'll prob head back down there to do this later on before nov 11th. i really love how it turned out. the pic of the guy in orange is al, he's the guy leasing the land that is letting me hunt here. the pile of guys are a few camp members that came to help put my stand up.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

• Like 5

So the guy with the loader showed up ? (Chat room talk) for those who are wandering what I'm talking about.... see what ya miss not coming to chat to hang with us ? Lol. @bcsman that was the other half of the idea ^^^^ lol..so far it's worked.. n noone the wiser..... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

So the guy with the loader showed up ? (Chat room talk) for those who are wandering what I'm talking about.... see what ya miss not coming to chat to hang with us ? Lol. @bcsman that was the other half of the idea ^^^^ lol..so far it's worked.. n noone the wiser..... 

he showed up..just not with the tractor...but his sidexside..lol. we had to lay the stand base down up against the blind bottom while it was on my trailer, me climb inside the blind, and screw the floor to the base, then wrap a strap around my blind, hooked his 5000lb winch line to the strap, he pulled it up, while a few of us lifted the whole thing up from the backside. i also tied a rope around the back side , so once it got up, we could hold it from going all the way over. it worked out pretty dang good.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Here are my budget deer stands.

PXL_20231022_190109147.jpg

PXL_20231022_190417049.jpg

image.jpg

lol..hey..if its works ?..gas on it !. not counting my trailer getting messed up from the pull to my spot ?, i got about 1100 bucks into my blind set-up. another 1k to replace messed up parts on my trailer...sigh.

30 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lol..hey..if its works ?..gas on it !. not counting my trailer getting messed up from the pull to my spot ?, i got about 1100 bucks into my blind set-up. another 1k to replace messed up parts on my trailer...sigh.

Those pop out ground blinds work good. Keeps me out of the wind and light rain. I set a 20 lb propane bottle on top the platform on one by canal, have a Buddy heater hooked to bottle stays warm. The other blind I have a little buddy heater for it. I hunt the ladder stands when not windy and cold. Our deer herd is down from being overrun with bears and hogs. I only shoot bucks so it's tough hunting. Maybe I will get one this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Those pop out ground blinds work good. Keeps me out of the wind and light rain. I set a 20 lb propane bottle on top the platform on one by canal, have a Buddy heater hooked to bottle stays warm. The other blind I have a little buddy heater for it. I hunt the ladder stands when not windy and cold. Our deer herd is down from being overrun with bears and hogs. I only shoot bucks so it's tough hunting. Maybe I will get one this year.

i run a 20 lb propane bottle with my sun flower heater attached to it, it will run me out of there if i do not turn it off ?, or open a wndow ?..lol.

• Haha 1

We run Buddy heaters with 12' hoses to a 20# tank we hang on the stand frame. Saves room in the stand. We have Timberwolves like you wouldn't believe. They have decimated or deer population.

IMG_20221105_130643737.jpg

IMG_20221107_071808235_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, shadetree said:

What did you do to your trailer? 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What did you do to your trailer? 

lol..i did not do anything to it...the guy pulling it to my spot is the one who damaged it !..lol. he pulled it through the back forty woods..going through 2 ft washouts, bent the axle, bent the left fender, broke the clearance light that was on the fender, bent the leaf springs. with a bent axle, when i pulled it home that night, little did i know the axle was bent ?..wore the tires out pulling it back home. sooo..yeah,,all this damage made a mess of my trailer. luckly al and the guy that pulled the trailer told me they would chip in to pay for the damage. i know al is good for it..not sure about the guy that did the damage when he pulled it from camp to my spot ?, it messed it up good..lol.

34 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lol..i did not do anything to it...the guy pulling it to my spot is the one who damaged it !..lol. he pulled it through the back forty woods..going through 2 ft washouts, bent the axle, bent the left fender, broke the clearance light that was on the fender, bent the leaf springs. with a bent axle, when i pulled it home that night, little did i know the axle was bent ?..wore the tires out pulling it back home. sooo..yeah,,all this damage made a mess of my trailer. luckly al and the guy that pulled the trailer told me they would chip in to pay for the damage. i know al is good for it..not sure about the guy that did the damage when he pulled it from camp to my spot ?, it messed it up good..lol.

That would be the last time he would pull my trailer, bet he wouldn't tear up his trailer like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riverc said:

That would be the last time he would pull my trailer, bet he wouldn't tear up his trailer like that.

lol..his trailer is worse than mine...can you guess why ?..rofl. yer right...he'll never pull my trailer again !.

• Like 1

got an axle on order, shows/says it may be here this coming sat ?. i replaced the leaf springs, got a replacement light on its way, replaced the shackles as well. got a carb coming for my chain saw, all this stuff shows to get here before this sunday ?. if it all gets here at least by saturday ?, i will have it all taken care of, load up my 450 on the trailer, with a few things to touch up my blind, head down there..knock that all out, get back home some time sunday. this will be a good test on the new tires i will have installed on rims before i make this trip. will update my blind with more pics if an when i get there and back sunday ?.

• Like 2