gypsydog94

2005 Trx 350 tm no spark!

Recently acquired a 2005 350 which has no spark. I have tried a diffrent spark plug. Is there a step by step guide on procedure to check ignition wiring? I have 3 diffrent wires coming into the cdi showing 12 volts. And all showing continuity. Is there a way of checking cdi? Stator? Regulator? Want to be fairly sure before chucking parts at it. 

4 hours ago, gypsydog94 said:

Recently acquired a 2005 350 which has no spark. I have tried a diffrent spark plug. Is there a step by step guide on procedure to check ignition wiring? I have 3 diffrent wires coming into the cdi showing 12 volts. And all showing continuity. Is there a way of checking cdi? Stator? Regulator? Want to be fairly sure before chucking parts at it. 

other than buying. replacing with a new c.d.i. ?, no..there is no test you can do to them. is neutral light on ?. if no light ?..you won't get spark. you can check the stator by ohm'ing it out. only way i know of checking reg/rec is when it is running ?. seem's there was a video i seen many yrs ago about how to test them when not running ?. a service manual should cover all of this, which you can down load for free from the site here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shadetree said:

other than buying. replacing with a new c.d.i. ?, no..there is no test you can do to them. is neutral light on ?. if no light ?..you won't get spark. you can check the stator by ohm'ing it out. only way i know of checking reg/rec is when it is running ?. seem's there was a video i seen many yrs ago about how to test them when not running ?. a service manual should cover all of this, which you can down load for free from the site here.

Neutral light is on. Stator ohms out okay but don’t seem to get resistance when checking at cdi plug? I don’t have a peak voltage meter so cannot test that. But when testing on ac don’t seem to even get a flicker at coil or 5 pin plug. 

you can make a peak voltage meter, if anyone here remembers how. i misplaced the link.

Hopefully someone sees this who knows. But should my black/yellow wire have continuity to ground with ignition on or off? Sorry I’m not the best with electronics. But with multimeter in continuity test at cdi plug it is showing continuity to the green white wire and to chassis ground 

20 hours ago, gypsydog94 said:

Hopefully someone sees this who knows. But should my black/yellow wire have continuity to ground with ignition on or off? Sorry I’m not the best with electronics. But with multimeter in continuity test at cdi plug it is showing continuity to the green white wire and to chassis ground 

I'm not much good with electrical stuff.  Maybe @Melatv or @retro will chime in.  They're the masters on the wiring stuff.  @AKATV's really good with it as well.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:52 PM, gypsydog94 said:

The Black/yellow inside the CDI connector provides voltage to the ignition coil, so you should be measuring in resistance mode (between Black/yellow and ground) rather than continuity mode. I am busy now but I'll be back as soon as I can to help you troubleshoot.

If there are any aftermarket electrical parts on your Rancher you'll need to replace them with genuine Honda parts before troubleshooting. Aftermarket parts do not work at all --- and in some cases fry other expensive OEM parts the moment they are plugged in.

Be back later....

On 12/4/2023 at 4:51 PM, gypsydog94 said:

Neutral light is on. Stator ohms out okay but don’t seem to get resistance when checking at cdi plug? I don’t have a peak voltage meter so cannot test that. But when testing on ac don’t seem to even get a flicker at coil or 5 pin plug. 

Do you have an auto-ranging multimeter?

Try this: With your multimeter set on resistance mode, ignition switch off, CDI unplugged, probe your red multimeter lead into the Blue/Yellow wire CDI harness connector terminal and probe your black multimeter lead into the Green/White wire CDI harness connector terminal. Let us know the resistance reading you got.

Here is an image of the wiring diagram for your Rancher you can use for reference.

04-06-tm-wiring.png

I assume you've verified the fuses are all good.... a common issue I see often in my area are bad/rusty grounds. Here is an older Rancher with no spark that only had a bad ground:

11 hours ago, retro said:

I assume you've verified the fuses are all good.... a common issue I see often in my area are bad/rusty grounds. Here is an older Rancher with no spark that only had a bad ground:

Thank you for your reply I will complete these bits this evening. I have cleaned all grounds and connections 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 12:57 AM, retro said:

Do you have an auto-ranging multimeter?

Try this: With your multimeter set on resistance mode, ignition switch off, CDI unplugged, probe your red multimeter lead into the Blue/Yellow wire CDI harness connector terminal and probe your black multimeter lead into the Green/White wire CDI harness connector terminal. Let us know the resistance reading you got.

320 is the resistance 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:13 AM, retro said:

I have cleaned all grounds 

On 12/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, retro said:

The Black/yellow inside the CDI connector provides voltage to the ignition coil, so you should be measuring in resistance mode (between Black/yellow and ground) rather than continuity mode. I am busy now but I'll be back as soon as I can to help you troubleshoot.

If there are any aftermarket electrical parts on your Rancher you'll need to replace them with genuine Honda parts before troubleshooting. Aftermarket parts do not work at all --- and in some cases fry other expensive OEM parts the moment they are plugged in.

Be back later....

I get a restiance of about 2 on the black yellow wire 

Ok, the Blue/yellow wire resistance (the pulse generator) test is within spec. But the ignition coil primary windings resistance measured out of spec. The coil primary is supposed to measure between .1 & 1 ohms.

Has the ignition coil been replaced? Is it an original Honda coil?

Try this: Unplug both wires from the ignition coil (note the wire color/terminal location so you can plug them back in correctly) and disconnect the spark plug cable from the spark plug. Measure resistance between each wire terminal on the coil while probing with your other multimeter lead inside the end of the disconnected spark plug cable. Let me know what those two resistance measurements are.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, retro said:

Ok, the Blue/yellow wire resistance (the pulse generator) test is within spec. But the ignition coil primary windings resistance measured out of spec. The coil primary is supposed to measure between .1 & 1 ohms.

Has the ignition coil been replaced? Is it an original Honda coil?

Try this: Unplug both wires from the ignition coil (note the wire color/terminal location so you can plug them back in correctly) and disconnect the spark plug cable from the spark plug. Measure resistance between each wire terminal on the coil while probing with your other multimeter lead inside the end of the disconnected spark plug cable. Let me know what those two resistance measurements are.

8.16 is the reading 

Congrats! Thanks for letting us know that you fixed it!

Make sure that your ignition coil (and all other electrical parts) is a genuine Honda part, else if it is an aftermarket part it will fry and possibly/likely will destroy your OEM CDI. Have fun!