bigcountry78

Battery powered chainsaws

Looking at a couple different battery powered chainsaws. Not doing anything crazy, just typical small homeowner stuff, small limbs and occasional storm clean up. I don’t need or want anything gas powered, I’m getting away from gas powered yard tools. I have the 40 volt weedeater and blower set from kobalt that I’m very happy with. I also have a 24 volt 1/2” kobalt impact, and several 20 volt dewalt tools. 

So, those are the three brands and models I’m looking at. 20v dewalt, 24 and 40 volt kobalt. I’m leaning towards the 40 volt, but I’m wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with any of these models? Anything good or bad to say about them? I want to stick with one of these three since I already have batteries to fit them. 

i have been happy with my dewalt products,but when it comes to saws and trimmers i stick with stihl.i do lots of trail cutting and picked up a stihl electric hand held pruner and find it works great for trees up to 5"

• Like 1

Bud of mine has one. He used it at the camp one fall, but borrowed a spare batt. Seemed weird no sound, just the chain.  Good for hobby or short work i think.

• Like 2

I have the 20V DeWalt 12" saw. I carry it for clearing trails. I have cut the occasional tree off the trail up to 10". Nice to not have to start a saw every few minutes. Cleaned up 5 miles of trail with it last year. Just know that some of these saws don't have bar oil pumps. They are kind of a gravity wick type affair and will leak out when the saw is just sitting. Laying it on its side will alleviate this somewhat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROV said:

I have the 20V DeWalt 12" saw. I carry it for clearing trails. I have cut the occasional tree off the trail up to 10". Nice to not have to start a saw every few minutes. Cleaned up 5 miles of trail with it last year. Just know that some of these saws don't have bar oil pumps. They are kind of a gravity wick type affair and will leak out when the saw is just sitting. Laying it on its side will alleviate this somewhat.

I’ve been reading reviews on the dewalt, and most of them are positive but a lot of people complain about it leaking. But thinking back, all the gas saws my dad has had leaked too. I guess it’s just a saw thing and most people don’t understand. But there’s always that crowd of people that complain about everything. The dewalt looks promising, especially the tool free tension adjustment on the chain. The 40 volt kobalt has something similar, but it seems like the dewalt parts are metal where the kobalt parts are plastic. That makes me lean towards dewalt.

I'd go with whatever batteries you use for other tools.  I'm a Milwaukee guy, but I think there isn't a huge difference in the stuff, just pick a battery and get tools to match.

My FIL has a Stihl electric saw.   It worked surprisingly well the only time I've used it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'd go with whatever batteries you use for other tools.  I'm a Milwaukee guy, but I think there isn't a huge difference in the stuff, just pick a battery and get tools to match.

My FIL has a Stihl electric saw.   It worked surprisingly well the only time I've used it.  

Battery tools have come a long way in recent years. I’m leaning towards the kobalt, twice the power in theory and it’ll give me an extra battery for my weed eater and blower.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, bigcountry78 said:

Looking at a couple different battery powered chainsaws. Not doing anything crazy, just typical small homeowner stuff, small limbs and occasional storm clean up. I don’t need or want anything gas powered, I’m getting away from gas powered yard tools. I have the 40 volt weedeater and blower set from kobalt that I’m very happy with. I also have a 24 volt 1/2” kobalt impact, and several 20 volt dewalt tools. 

So, those are the three brands and models I’m looking at. 20v dewalt, 24 and 40 volt kobalt. I’m leaning towards the 40 volt, but I’m wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with any of these models? Anything good or bad to say about them? I want to stick with one of these three since I already have batteries to fit them. 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:33 AM, Fishfiles said:

I got rid of a few moles by flooding their holes with the garden hose ----- once got a rattle snake from under the A/C compressor slab with bleach and the hose , he came out striking 

Going with the battery platform you have with other tools is probably a good idea. I have a Kobalt battery drill and a black and decker hedge trimmer. I have an Ego 18 inch chainsaw (and Ego leaf blower). It’s a 56 V 5 amp hr battery and have two of these batteries for it. It’s absolutely my go-to for a chainsaw vs my Stihl 2 stroke. I cut 3-4 cords a year of firewood with this saw, as well as maintain a woodland section of our property that is Forest Preserved land. Good luck and as previously said, battery powered tools have come along way and they keep getting better and better. 

IMG_3410.jpeg

Edited by Esterman7

my go-2 saw is my 20v dewalt pole saw, works great..yes its leaks bar oil...what saw doesn't ?..lol. prop it up right..wont leak. i'm a dewalt guy, 20v batteries fit in my other battery dewalt tools as well.