jeepwm69

Father in law in the hospital, pretty bad shape

Wife's dad is 75.   He had triple bypass at age 46 (1996), 10 stents since, type 2 diabetic who doesn't attempt to manage his diabetes.   In short, he doesn't take care of himself at all and never really has.

So last week he had a heart attack.   Local hospital shipped him out to one 1.5 hours away.   They found 2 of his 3 bypasses were totally blocked, with the 3rd bypass on his main heart artery (LAD) 99% blocked.   He was in kidney failure as well from his diabetes.   The stent he had put in back in April of this year had already failed, so more stents won't fix him.   That hospital said it was more than they could do so they eventually sent him to St Louis.

He's been there 2 days.  They want to do open heart surgery on him again, replacing that LAD bypass with another bypass.   They have to stop his heart and put him on bypass to do the surgery, then restart his heart.  Huge risk that they won't be able to get his heart restarted given how poor his health is.

I've been on the road or in a hospital room for the last week, and will likely head back to St Louis in the next couple of days, depending on when the schedule the surgery.

Anyhow, ya'll keep my wife in your prayers.  She lost her mom to a heart attack in 2006, and my wife was only 21 at the time.  She has enough of a medical background to know how poor her dad's odds are in having  the surgery, with the alternative likely being a stroke or another heart attack, so she's having a hard time.

• Thanks 1

Jeep so sorry to hear about your FIL's health.  I will put him and the family on my prayer list...keep us updated on his progress please.

• Thanks 1

Let us know how we can help your family Jeep. I'm gonna send ya a lil' something to help with gas and whatever.

• Thanks 1

The doctors said they aren't sure they can do much.  His heart and arteries are in such bad shape that they don't think a bypass redo will work. They're doing an MRI early next week, when his kidneys have recovered a bit from the last test with contrast they did (he's in kidney failure, so a lot of the imaging they do use contrast and it's hard on the kidneys).  

He's lived his whole life "like a sailer on shore leave" as my BIL put it, so we've known eventually this would come.  I like working, but I hate exercising for the sake of exercising, and most of the food that I like is really bad for me.  I look at living to  75 doing whatever I want versus possibly living longer while exercising and eating healthy crap that doesn't taste good,  and you really have to weigh which is the better path. 

Anyhow, we're home for a few days till the doctors figure out what, if anything, they can do for him.  I even put a new rearend in @basfnb's Rubicon yesterday afternoon. I like to stay busy when I'm stressed. 

Your well wishes and prayers are very much appreciated, and I will relay them to the wife. 

• Like 1