Jump to content
You make it I break it

More spark problems 1996 Honda trx300a fourtrax

Recommended Posts

Hey y'all I have a 1996 Honda trx300a fourtrax and my electric start is broken at the moment so until I fix that I have been just kicking it while I've been working on it so now for the actual problem the neutral light doesn't come on when I turn the key but it does after each kick when the light isn't on I have spark but the second it comes on my spark is gone HELP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Do you have good, fully charged battery in the machine even though you are not using electric start?

Its is really bad to run, or try to run these without a good battery in place- you will burn up the stator and voltage regulator and so on...

If you have no battery, your neutral light will not come on, and the reason it lights up when kicking is the charging voltage you are creating when

you kick the engine over is lighting it up and may also be taking voltage away from your ignition/spark circuit

Also- just so you know, the 96 Fourtrax 4x4 had defective CDI that year and the common symptom was to not spark when you held the starter button down and then it would spark as oon as you let of the starter button and engine was still rotating

Also if you lose spark, you can try tapping on the CDi and it will sometimes bring you spark back, means you need to replace CDI or cook it in the oven at 450 for 10 mins

to reflow broken solder joints on circuit board sometimes works. Sounds hokey, but I have few that I did years ago and they are still going strong

Let us know how its going

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Do you have good, fully charged battery in the machine even though you are not using electric start?

Its is really bad to run, or try to run these without a good battery in place- you will burn up the stator and voltage regulator and so on...

If you have no battery, your neutral light will not come on, and the reason it lights up when kicking is the charging voltage you are creating when

you kick the engine over is lighting it up and may also be taking voltage away from your ignition/spark circuit

Also- just so you know, the 96 Fourtrax 4x4 had defective CDI that year and the common symptom was to not spark when you held the starter button down and then it would spark as oon as you let of the starter button and engine was still rotating

Also if you lose spark, you can try tapping on the CDi and it will sometimes bring you spark back, means you need to replace CDI or cook it in the oven at 450 for 10 mins

to reflow broken solder joints on circuit board sometimes works. Sounds hokey, but I have few that I did years ago and they are still going strong

Let us know how its going

 

I just replaced the cdi and it does the same thing even when it is on a 40 amp charger it didn't have any spark before I got the new cdi

Edited by You make it I break it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Do you have a battery in place?

Also, did you get a cheap china CDI off ebay or a actual Honda replacement CDi

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Do you have a battery in place?

Also, did you get a cheap china CDI off ebay or a actual Honda replacement CDi

I got an actual cdi and it's a brand new battery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
3 minutes ago, You make it I break it said:

I got an actual cdi and it's a brand new battery 

where did you buy the c.d.i. from ???.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

question: does it spark one time, then stops ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, You make it I break it said:

Can't remember 

you need to find out where you got the c.d.i from ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
Just now, You make it I break it said:

I tested if on a different bike

news flash !!, the 1996 trx300fw is an odd ball on c.d.i's, most times it will need to have the correct c.d.i. for that year only !.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

what is tenth digit on vin number ?, from left to right, read over, let me know what the tenth digit is ?.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

You have new battery and your not getting a neutral light until your trying to kick start it? Sounds like the wiring corroded in the terminals for the main power (white connector just in front of the battery). I would inspect those connectors and lightly pull on each wire to make sure they are good.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Is the wire on the Neutral switch? Button ziptied down that is the push to start ??

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, You make it I break it said:

I got it to run I've just been kickstarting it with the button ziptied down 

 

 

Wow , we need to make a sticky for the " kick starting it with the button zip-tied down " trick !!!!   ---  Hey You' , you must be joking , eh ! You really done that  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

 

 

Wow , we need to make a sticky for the " kick starting it with the button zip-tied down " trick !!!!   ---  Hey You' , you must be joking , eh ! You really done that  

That I did

20200416_170610.jpg

20200416_170549.jpg

20200416_170544.jpg

Edited by You make it I break it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Let me try and guess what is going on here , the battery is either dead , not in the bike ,  not hooked up , or the starter button doesn't work ,  the tie strap is holding the kill switch in the right position to run and the tie strap is really holding the starter button in , but really isn't doing anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Let me try and guess what is going on here , the battery is either dead , not in the bike ,  not hooked up , or the starter button doesn't work ,  the tie strap is holding the kill switch in the right position to run and the tie strap is really holding the starter button in , but really isn't doing anything 

Nope brand new battery zip tie isn't touching the kill switch the button is held down when it's not the neutral light comes on and the bike looses spark 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have had a couple of 96 300s that did just the opposite of what you got going on  , they would spark one time when you first hit the button , then the spark would stop , so when the bike was running good , I hit the button one quicktime and let go and it would start up and run , if you held your finger on the button it would spin over but not fire , it was the CDI that was bad ---- did you change the cdi and maybe go with the wrong year 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...