Jump to content
Chevymec

OEM v/s Aftermarket

Recommended Posts

What kind of parts have yall found that worked best oem v/s aftermarket? on my 500 I have used a starter and carb from Amazon, All balls ball joints and wheel bearings. Most of the other parts were Honda. So far the starter and carb have been ok. The carb is a little rich out of the box but I'm not pulling it off again until it gives me a bigger problem. I try to stay OEM for everything I do but sometimes the price difference is a little much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Depends on the part. I don’t use aftermarket carburetors on any Honda ATVs. All joints and tie rod ends are cheaper from Honda than the aftermarket stuff. 

Bearings are going to be a? For me when I run through my current stash. Other than OEM, Pivotworks  were the only quality brand I found, and pivotworks has been bought out by all balls and are now the same junk China bearings that all balls sells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

somethings you dont have a choice, as most parts for older atvs are NLA ( no longer available ), some parts i WILL not use china junk !, then there are some parts where it does not matter ?. oem ?, batteries, ignition switches, c.d.i.'s, most ele parts. bearings, i try to use oem if they are around ?, if not ?, i use boss bearings: they may or may not be as bad as '' all balls '' now ?, but they were great years ago. starters : i've had great luck with D&B electrical starters. for most parts: I AVOID CHINA JUNK !. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

As far as replacement parts I try to buy most things OEM, the 3 things you mentioned are things I would never buy aftermarket lol. Some things as mentioned are NLA from Honda so you have no choice but to go aftermarket. 
 

I’ve ran a few aftermarket starters and I just find they are 10x more noisy than OEM and last about 1/10th as long. They are cheap though. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Chevy , a China carb , really , I would have never thought that of you , I guess I can never think the same about you any more , LOL

 

It is coming to a time for us old school bikers , when more parts will have to be after market as OEM part supplies are  drying up and no longer available 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

now hold up a sec ... i  know a certain person who got one for there hydraulic wood splitter .. what did i tell you about my memory ... lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

now hold up a sec ... i  know a certain person who got one for there hydraulic wood splitter .. what did i tell you about my memory ... lol

I got a china carb on my splitter , china engine on both my air compressors , china parts washer , china this and that , but a china carb on my 300 , well I did have a few times after market carbs over then years  and had good results once , it was a high end  knock off , like $90 , I don't see them around any more , OEMSTD  

IMG_0412.JPG

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got a china carb on my splitter , china engine on both my air compressors , china parts washer , china this and that , but a china carb on my 300 , well I did have a few times after market carbs over then years  and had good results once , it was a high end  knock off , like $90 , I don't see them around any more , OEMSTD  

IMG_0412.JPG

the nerve !!!..lol, well...i guess seeing how ya paid 90 bucks for it ?, surely even for a china carb..its got to be better..right....right ?..rofl.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

see ^^^ i knew he would key up haha!  you walked right into that one, fish...  i gotcha!! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 5/1/2020 at 6:50 AM, Fishfiles said:

Chevy , a China carb , really , I would have never thought that of you , I guess I can never think the same about you any more , LOL

 

It is coming to a time for us old school bikers , when more parts will have to be after market as OEM part supplies are  drying up and no longer available 

 

Now, now Fish... I still have the OEM one. I was just ready to get this thing running. On the OEM one, the drain screw was bad and leaking fuel from the bottom hose on the fuel bowl. It was so corroded up from not using non ethanol fuel and letting it sit and not ran in the off season. I have to say, the china starter has done good since my cam doesn't have the compression relief lobe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...