Jump to content
Akunin

Trail Tech Voyager Pro

Recommended Posts

So I have a TT Voyager Pro sitting in a digital shopping cart and I just can't quite bring myself to "Buy it now!". One question I have is if any of the gps data (telemetry) can be taken and extracted for, lets say overlay info in videos. Does any of you have a V Pro? If so, what are your thoughts?

 

 

vpro_map_1_2_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I've always used a Garmin handheld in a Ram mount and transfer my data to Garmin Basecamp program.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I am a hard core Garmin guy  , you can't beat Garmin for support and service , they have been very helpful to me , they help me do a custom lap top program set up that the Coast Guard uses , they sent me at no charge a  refurbed unit after mine flooded in Katrina , they will talk with you on the phone and walk you thru issues -------- I too have the Base Camp set up , over laid  onto Google Earth and TOPO maps ---- I was just counting Garmins ,  I got 10 Garmins  right now , 2 hand helded , one in each of  my 2 boats , 3 in our trucks , one hooked to a lap top , one for my atvs and another marine unit on the shelf off my old boat 

 

I have the Garmin Montana for my atv , nice unit , kind of pricey , I think that one was right about $600 ------ how much they want for that Trail Tech ??? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I too have a Garmin that works great. I also like the app “Polaris Ride Command” on my phone, it has great Gps trail mapping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 6/12/2020 at 4:01 PM, PROV said:

I've always used a Garmin handheld in a Ram mount and transfer my data to Garmin Basecamp program.

I've got a Garmin 680t that I've been using for years and it does a good job and have several map programs on my phone (Avenza, Gaia, etc) but this new gps has a few feature that really caught my attention. Buddy tracking! Very cool for riding in groups. Has more features I like so I decided to order one

 

 

 

 

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

To use buddy tracking they must need a transmitter also. 

Edited by PROV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
46 minutes ago, PROV said:

To use buddy tracking he must need a transmitter also.

yeah, whoever you ride with needs to have the Voyager Pro as well. For us that's fine, my son just ordered his too so that's the fifth now in our riding group. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Trail Tech finally dropped a big update for this device. Its one I've waited for and admittedly thought it could do when I first got it and that is it now supports mapping with forest service  MVUM. So that was pretty much the last coffin nail for my old trusty Garmin Montana 680t so it just became my dedicated geocaching unit.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

My desk table decided to do a update on it 's own , while I was sleeping at that  , now my Google Earth needs up dating for it to work again in conjunction with my Garmin/Base Station  ---   I hate updates , seems they create new problems to solve old ones , that were not really an issue to me any way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

My desk table decided to do a update on it 's own , while I was sleeping at that  , now my Google Earth needs up dating for it to work again in conjunction with my Garmin/Base Station  ---   I hate updates , seems they create new problems to solve old ones , that were not really an issue to me any way 

Having run Basecamp and Garmin units for years (and will continue for many more) this new update for the VP and using Caltopo for map management has been a breeze. I have much more to learn but for making maps, routes and even POI and such has been extremely simple. What used to take me hours I can do in just minutes. Granted it does cost $50 a year for the "Pro" membership in Caltopo but I'm extremely happy with the results so far and I've just only scratched the surface as to what this Caltopo can do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

have you had a chance to use the buddy tracking yet ?? 

Oh yes, several days worth. It works well enough that I enjoy using it and when I don't have it I wish I did. Its not perfect but I can just imagine what this technology can be like in even 10 years. What I don't like about it.. but its pretty understandable considering the signals and how they transmit. When a rider in our group goes over a ridge or around the bend in a valley the signal is lost. Rough terrain where linebof sight is often lost isn't the best. However it really shines out on the prarie with rolling hills and winding trails. I had a flat tire and transmitted my distress becon and another rider spotted it on his display right away. Awesome! So we two manned the tire repair in no time and so much easier than solo. We still use hand held radios and such (no cell service where we often ride) but the radios are often drowned out by exhaust noises and wind. The notification on the display is easy to see and well laid out.

 

All in all.. I like the buddy system and its already made a tire change easier. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Thought I would share some screenshots of the Caltopo. 1st is a overall map of an area I want to ride in. The red box I can place to dictate where I want the border of the map I want to create. This particular map created a file that was less than 8mb and the riding area is quite large. Testing custom icons, color and naming in this particular set. So far I find it crazy easy to use and intuitive but just checking to see what exactly the VP gps supports. By no means am I familiar with this software other than just playing around the last couple days. I probably would benefit from some tutorial I'm sure is on youtube but why not do it the hard way!

 

The second and third screenshots are the same map just zoomed in to show the icons and names. Using a hybrid map.

 

BH.png

 

 

farmingdale screen.png

Farmindale Screen 2.png

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, Akunin said:

Oh yes, several days worth. It works well enough that I enjoy using it and when I don't have it I wish I did. Its not perfect but I can just imagine what this technology can be like in even 10 years. What I don't like about it.. but its pretty understandable considering the signals and how they transmit. When a rider in our group goes over a ridge or around the bend in a valley the signal is lost. Rough terrain where linebof sight is often lost isn't the best. However it really shines out on the prarie with rolling hills and winding trails. I had a flat tire and transmitted my distress becon and another rider spotted it on his display right away. Awesome! So we two manned the tire repair in no time and so much easier than solo. We still use hand held radios and such (no cell service where we often ride) but the radios are often drowned out by exhaust noises and wind. The notification on the display is easy to see and well laid out.

 

All in all.. I like the buddy system and its already made a tire change easier. 

 

i kind of figured there be a slight issue, but all in sounds like it worked great, does the manual list the transmitter frequency range and transmitter power ? i take  y'all use a frs/gmrs handy talkies ? you can get a boom mic, or ear plug, some radio even have ring tones that keys up as soon as the ptt button is pushed. anyways .... i like the results you had with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

 

i kind of figured there be a slight issue, but all in sounds like it worked great, does the manual list the transmitter frequency range and transmitter power ? i take  y'all use a frs/gmrs handy talkies ? you can get a boom mic, or ear plug, some radio even have ring tones that keys up as soon as the ptt button is pushed. anyways .... i like the results you had with it. 

Should mention I usually ride with a motley crew, dirt bikes, atv, utv and whatever show up. 

 

Some of us use mics/ear pieces with the radios but most don't, personal preference mostly. A few of the guys see it as a complete escape.. no music or anything to distract them and I can think of a couple that will be using the sos beacon a lot since they are just balls out and run into the most trouble. 

 

Looked up some FCC information but its all Greek to me.

 

Equipment Class: Part 15 Spread Spectrum Transmitter
Notes: Voyager Pro
Grant Notes  FCC Rule Parts Frequency
Range (MHZ)
Output
Watts
Frequency
Tolerance
Emission
Designator
  15C 902.5  -  927.5 0.658  
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

the 900 mhz range .... is too high, that's why the signal breaks up, when other riders get further away, but with the handy talkies, yall have it covered ether way, i kind of figured the frequecy was up there, but again all in all I'm very impressed with the setup. a better antenna would help if they offer such an option, but it would need to to be a transceiver , not just a receiver antenna, i keep my handy talkies with me as well,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

it came with an external antenna but I've never used it, the internal works fine for our needs. I'd say the range over open country is just over a mile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

oh, a mile! i wouldn't change a thing! that's further then some frs/gmrs radios will reach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...