Jump to content
F250 guy

Upper steering bushing tightness.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I may have posted before but don't remember. I replaced the steering stem bushing yesterday and noticed the steering is kinda snug. I'm kinda experimenting with the right feel. Is there a certain torque or just crank down? 

 

Right now I have it cranked all the way and backed off till I can see threads or move the outer cap and just snug and 2.5 turns. Feels decent but a tad tight. Is there a difference between the OEM bushing and the aftermarket? 

Edited by F250 guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

we need just a tad bit more imformaion .... is this your honda that listed in you signature and the upper rubber  bushing ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Did u grease it all? If memory serves me correct I always did when I replaced mine. I don’t think I torqued it either. Just tightened er down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Wilson, mine the 1993 2WD, and Wheeler I'll pull it out n grease it wasn't aware of that. I was meaning how tight do the cap bolts need to be. 

Edited by F250 guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

just as wheeler stated .... you don't need to torq those ... just tighten them down... i gather your talking about this ? 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 I always put grease on the bushing while it is apart -----   There are greases that come out a aero-soil can as a liquid and turns to grease , one I like is called Garage Door Grease , try spraying some into the cracks , might help , I have used it on my steering bushings ----- dried up ball joints and tie rod ends will make steering stiff also  ---------- Looks like the bushing in wilson's pic needs replacing ^^ as it appears to be  gone , but the pic does make me think of something else , did you buff the rust off the steering shaft where the bushing rides before putting it together ?  -----

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

that's not ether one of my bikes.. i don't neglect mine.... however that is a pic from the forums ... i would clean the steering shaft,  i would go with bel-ray water proof grease, Or a good soap grease ... and you'll be good to go... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yea that's it Wilson I got er done in 10 minutes since I commented. My great uncle showed up. Had to help him out. Thanks for the greasing hint. Had no idea. 

 

Hopefully if I get that green 95 2wd 300 that's the first thing I'll do along with maintenance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

 I always put grease on the bushing while it is apart -----   There are greases that come out a aero-soil can as a liquid and turns to grease , one I like is called Garage Door Grease , try spraying some into the cracks , might help , I have used it on my steering bushings ----- dried up ball joints and tie rod ends will make steering stiff also  ---------- Looks like the bushing in wilson's pic needs replacing ^^ as it appears to be  gone , but the pic does make me think of something else , did you buff the rust off the steering shaft where the bushing rides before putting it together ?  -----

Yea I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

your welcome!  you' should  see / feel a big defrence in thr steering....and  i saw that post on the new to you 2wd green 300 .... it just has the two brand new back tires ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your welcome!  you' should  see / feel a big defrence in thr steering....and  i saw that post on the new to you 2wd green 300 .... it just has the two brand new back tires ? 

Thank you incase I forgot to say it, your exclamation point threw me off lol. I feel a huge difference. 

 

I couldn't see I don't have my readers but I'll zoom in. Overall if I get it I think it'll make a good trail rider. And the tires I'm assuming those are before he changed all of them, but if the fronts are like the picture I can change em out also new front flares. 

 

I'm excited for it though.

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

your welcome! I'll have to check that other thread out again  ... that green cylinder sure got my attention... lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your welcome! I'll have to check that other thread out again  ... that green cylinder sure got my attention... lol 

The green Honda 300 or the Tacoma? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
On 8/15/2020 at 7:22 AM, F250 guy said:

I may have posted before but don't remember. I replaced the steering stem bushing yesterday and noticed the steering is kinda snug. I'm kinda experimenting with the right feel. Is there a certain torque or just crank down? 

 

Right now I have it cranked all the way and backed off till I can see threads or move the outer cap and just snug and 2.5 turns. Feels decent but a tad tight. Is there a difference between the OEM bushing and the aftermarket? 

What a coincidence I just did my steering bushing last night. Yes you are supposed to grease them it's in the Honda manual. While I had the whole thing apart i checked the clamping Force that would be applied to the bushing if you clamped it tight and it would definitely deform the bushing. So once I got it all back together I first  clamped everything down  and tested the steering snugness then I put a shim on one side that is probably a 16th of an inch in thickness and I can torque the bolts down snug so they don't come loose and it definitely allows for a lighter steering feel without the shaft being sloppy in the bushing.

 

Darrell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

a 300 clamps all the way down 24 foot lbs ...but you do have to line the bushing up.. right ....no deforming on mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

a 300 clamps all the way down 24 foot lbs ...but you do have to line the bushing up.. right ....no deforming on mine.

Had it and I went back out the next morning, and tight. I got a pretty good idea of what happened. When I put the new one in I greased the rear cap. I'll get it off when I'm back up there and get all that grease out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

the grease goes on the inside of the bushing side ... that is against the shaft .. and not just a dab ... coat it real good (all the way around)  like smearing paste wax on a car. then when your done... just clean the excess off. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

the grease goes on the inside of the bushing side ... that is against the shaft .. and not just a dab ... coat it real good (all the way around)  like smearing paste wax on a car. then when your done... just clean the excess off. 

you grease the inside of the bushing as well as the outside.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

correct... all the way around .... by  the time got done there was plenty of grease on both sides ... lol! you really can't do that job and keep grease on one side ...  :-) anyways ... correct grease it all the way around in, and out. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Shade suggested I do it to mine while the fenders were off for motor work. As my 15 yr old is going to ride it and I was worried about her being able to steer it I did this. Really seemed to help. I used synthetic grease(I have it from car work on poly bushings) and lathered it up good. Sure made a difference. 

 

 

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

re greasing is a good especially for those that are left out in the weather ... you can also take needle  like this .. and re grease.... just slip in between the bushing, and shaft .. 

image.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...