Jump to content
oh400ex

Parting out a bike | 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS RS

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello again everyone. 

 

Couldn't resist picking this up for parts... Guess I'm an eBay seller again for a few months lol

 

2008 Can Am Spyder that caught fire. Was told that it was an electrical fire starting in the dash but completely unknown history.

 

$500

 

Thank you for looking!

20201007_105329.jpg

20201007_105343.jpg

20201007_105353.jpg

20201007_105405.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks like you should be able to get your money out of it, but dang those things are ugly.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

i hope if was free ?!!..cuz i dang sure woulda charged the owner to haul it off !!..lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like you should be able to get your money out of it, but dang those things are ugly.

 

Big'ol snowmobiles with wheels. I like it. Three wheeler is one of my dream bikes. This one will likely never run again but would sure be neat if it did.

 

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i hope if was free ?!!..cuz i dang sure woulda charged the owner to haul it off !!..lol.

 

I might be the sucker here but gave $500 for it. I think it has double that in parts easily or I wouldn't have bothered with it but I'm not expecting to make a fortune or anything. I'm going to have to sell on eBay which is something I really don't want to do

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
19 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

 

Big'ol snowmobiles with wheels. I like it. Three wheeler is one of my dream bikes. This one will likely never run again but would sure be neat if it did.

 

 

I might be the sucker here but gave $500 for it. I think it has double that in parts easily or I wouldn't have bothered with it but I'm not expecting to make a fortune or anything. I'm going to have to sell on eBay which is something I really don't want to do

i would not have gave 5 cents for it...let alone 500 ?!..lol. but good luck on parting it out !.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Its crazy to look at how that thing is made. It looks like a gas tank out of an old boat. And the frame looks like a bridge support. Who designed these things? My guess is a construction worker who liked to work on boats as a hobby lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
34 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Its crazy to look at how that thing is made. It looks like a gas tank out of an old boat. And the frame looks like a bridge support. Who designed these things? My guess is a construction worker who liked to work on boats as a hobby lol.

 

It was a room of people drinking Moosehead talking aboot how they wanted to ride their sleds during the two-week period Canadians call "summer"

 

It is crazy looking that's for sure. Dreams of cafe-racer styling...

 

Turns out it is an 08 model

 

2008 Can-Am Spyder GS (RS)

Engine V2, 990 cc; Liquid Cooled; DOHC; 4-Stroke    

Manufactured in Valcourt, QC

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Great video on the subject!

15 minutes but worth a watch.

From southern USA but watching this gives me some Canadian pride lol

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Quick update

 

I evaluated the extent of the damage further today by taking most of the exterior cover pieces off.

 

This project may take a turn...

There are a lot of intact parts. Anything metal is fine as the fire was on the surface for the most part. Most things that are lower than the top of the engine are globs of melted plastic and not actual damage. Most of the wiring is intact but the whole harness would need to be replaced of course. One (if not both) of the fuel injectors are fine. Plugs still in the engine. Radiator was full as was the oil tank with clean oil. The rubber intake boots are intact. According to registration in was inspected at the end of 2016 so was running within four years. A bit worried about water getting in somewhere but the throttle body was closed and there was no way for running water (fire department / rain) to make its way in. This is a manual shift with hand clutch model 🤩 the designation is SM5. Needs a whole new electrical system basically but most everything else is intact, cosmetic or would need to be replaced anyway. (tires, drive belt, rubber lines, cables, etc) The nose and frunk is even intact lol

 

Title is lost but not salvaged (or stolen) and my understanding is that makes it a bit more valuable.

 

Will update you all with some pictures soon!

Edited by oh400ex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Quick update

 

I evaluated the extent of the damage further today by taking most of the exterior cover pieces off.

 

This project may take a turn...

There are a lot of intact parts. Anything metal is fine as the fire was on the surface for the most part. Most things that are lower than the top of the engine are globs of melted plastic and not actual damage. Most of the wiring is intact but the whole harness would need to be replaced of course. One (if not both) of the fuel injectors are fine. Plugs still in the engine. Radiator was full as was the oil tank with clean oil. The rubber intake boots are intact. According to registration in was inspected at the end of 2016 so was running within four years. A bit worried about water getting in somewhere but the throttle body was closed and there was no way for running water (fire department / rain) to make its way in. This is a manual shift with hand clutch model 🤩 the designation is SM5. Needs a whole new electrical system basically but most everything else is intact, cosmetic or would need to be replaced anyway. (tires, drive belt, rubber lines, cables, etc) The nose and frunk is even intact lol

 

Title is lost but not salvaged (or stolen) and my understanding is that makes it a bit more valuable.

 

Will update you all with some pictures soon!

if the title is lost ?, then who/what ever sucker buys this ?, will have to file for a bonded title, and this does not give the new owner a 100% owner ship !!!. from the sounds of it, it would be an upside down buy for who ever buys this, cuz its gonna cost more money to replace all the parts than what it would to just go out and buy a complete running can-am in decent shape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, shadetree said:

if the title is lost ?, then who/what ever sucker buys this ?, will have to file for a bonded title, and this does not give the new owner a 100% owner ship !!!. from the sounds of it, it would be an upside down buy for who ever buys this, cuz its gonna cost more money to replace all the parts than what it would to just go out and buy a complete running can-am in decent shape.

 

Not sure what you mean by this... I take the bill of sale and file for lost title. It takes minutes and costs basically nothing...

If it was salvaged now that would mean it would be difficult to get this VIN licensed again but with a lost title...

Maybe I'm blessed at the revenue office but this is backwards from my experience. Lost is easy compared to salvaged.

Done this too many times with stuff I bought that had no title.

 

Running Spyder in decent shape is 10K. I have never (and will likely never) have that money to spend on a toy.

Replacing most all the missing parts with new from BRP (stupid) would not even cost 3k

(Don't have that money either but if someone had 5k burning a hole...) Don't have to have anything to part it. Just wanted to mention my findings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

 

Not sure what you mean by this... I take the bill of sale and file for lost title. It takes minutes and costs basically nothing...

If it was salvaged now that would mean it would be difficult to get this VIN licensed again but with a lost title...

Maybe I'm blessed at the revenue office but this is backwards from my experience. Lost is easy compared to salvaged.

Done this too many times with stuff I bought that had no title.

 

Running Spyder in decent shape is 10K. I have never (and will likely never) have that money to spend on a toy.

Replacing most all the missing parts with new from BRP (stupid) would not even cost 3k

(Don't have that money either but if someone had 5k burning a hole...) Don't have to have anything to part it. Just wanted to mention my findings.

In ohio what you are talking about with titles is backwards. In ohio unless you are the original owner of the title or know them they are the only ones who can apply for a lost title. If anyone could people would steal them forge a bill of sale and just apply for a lost title and now somehow own it? Now a salvage title can be transfered just like an original title but both parties have to be present.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

If anyone could people would steal them forge a bill of sale and just apply for a lost title and now somehow own it? Now a salvage title can be transfered just like an original title but both parties have to be present.

 

People do this here. The "stolen" title could be "challenged" by the original owner and whoever has the paperwork to back it up usually wins. 

It's easy to break the law but hard to get away with it sort of deal. Everything is tied to the VIN. I have seen a handshake deal go wrong and the original owner tried to pull a fast one and say they never sold it. That particular case was decided by the text message history. The new (rightful) owner was able to prove with their text message conversation. 

 

I'm getting used to the taste of humble pie with a side of crow so if I'm wrong I'll let you all know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, oh400ex said:

 

Not sure what you mean by this... I take the bill of sale and file for lost title. It takes minutes and costs basically nothing...

If it was salvaged now that would mean it would be difficult to get this VIN licensed again but with a lost title...

Maybe I'm blessed at the revenue office but this is backwards from my experience. Lost is easy compared to salvaged.

Done this too many times with stuff I bought that had no title.

 

Running Spyder in decent shape is 10K. I have never (and will likely never) have that money to spend on a toy.

Replacing most all the missing parts with new from BRP (stupid) would not even cost 3k

(Don't have that money either but if someone had 5k burning a hole...) Don't have to have anything to part it. Just wanted to mention my findings.

i'll make it simple even you can understand !..a bonded title is only to register the object in your name once you file for a bonded title. if and when 30 years down the road, you/someone gets stopped by the law, they run a vin number check, and it comes back stolen ?, your out the object, and all that money you paid for restoring it, and tags, bonded title fee, all of it, kiss it good bye. if you are in arkansas ?, this is how it works !. YOU CAN NOT FILE FOR A LOST TITLE IN ARKANSAS..ONLY THE OWNER CAN !. bill of sales don't mean crap these days in a court of law..but the title, or bill of origin from the factory/dealer/first owner will make it all simple. now do you understand, or do i need to draw you a picture ?..rofl. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

YOU CAN NOT FILE FOR A LOST TITLE IN ARKANSAS..ONLY THE OWNER CAN !. bill of sales don't mean crap these days in a court of law..but the title, or bill of origin from the factory/dealer/first owner will make it all simple.

 

nailed it^^^ that's exactly how it is here in Tennessee too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, shadetree said:

now do you understand, or do i need to draw you a picture ?..rofl. 

 

No, I need the picture. Usually crayon drawings hit my eyes best.

Thanks in advance!

 

Just kidding of course... You are probably right (like most times) but I will let you all know either way. Not sure if because I was buying an off-road vehicle or some special something happened but I have several that were bought with no title and only a bill of sale. Their titles are in my safe with my name on them. Small town might play here. 

 

Edit: Bike was titled and registered in Missouri

Edited by oh400ex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Here are a few shots of the bike after stripping some parts off and giving it a light bath.

 

Few stand-outs for me are no collision damage, the main computer being intact (appearance) and the condition of the engine

Rocker cover will likely need new seals and all hoses are compromised but there is meat on this bone.

 

Thank you for looking!

 

 

20201010_132941.jpg

20201010_132950.jpg

20201010_133008.jpg

20201010_133021.jpg

20201010_133049.jpg

20201010_133104.jpg

20201010_133114.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

These pictures show the parts taken from the bike.

 

The first is parts that have been burned but may still be usable in some way.

Second is the parts with no damage from fire.

 

Thank you for looking!

 

20201010_133129.jpg

20201010_133141.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Only paying 500 dollars you will have no problem selling part by part for a profit. There is alot of work involved though. Fixing and selling is looking like the best option looking at the pictures to me. It doesnt look horrible at all from the pictures. Its gunna all hinge on that title though. Hope it works out and you can get one. Was this an insurance claim? Could that be tied to the vin? These are things i dont know but would want to find out for sure. If there is a version of carfax for motorcycles......or what ever that thing is considered lol. It would deter alot of buyers knowing it was on fire. Not saying you would sell it and not inform the new owner just saying purely from a marketing standpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
57 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Was this an insurance claim?

 

No idea but the PO claimed that it caught fire, got put out, was pushed under the deck and never fixed.

They said that insurance never got involved and BRP would not help.

 

I know this is going to get confusing but allegedly the house it was stored in also caught fire. They said the bike was pushed away from the house and took no damage from that incident. Before taking the Spyder to the junkyard they threw it on marketplace.

 

It would not surprise me based off the frequency of fires these people experienced. That is not for me to determine.

 

They also claimed I could contact them in the future if needed. I will attempt to use that tool if needed.

 

57 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Could that be tied to the vin?

 

Correct. If there was an insurance claim on the bike it would be tied to the VIN. 

All I could do myself was run it through a free VIN checker or two and nothing came back. 

I will know more soon but initial checks show clean.

 

I will let a potential buyer know everything I do up-front. The price should be good enough to make it worth for someone. 

I'm just happy to see something saved from being scrapped either way.

Capture.PNG

Edited by oh400ex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

This essentially sums up the spider forums in two easy pictures.

 

Thanks for looking!

 

 

sf1.PNG

sf2.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, oh400ex said:

 

No, I need the picture. Usually crayon drawings hit my eyes best.

Thanks in advance!

 

Just kidding of course... You are probably right (like most times) but I will let you all know either way. Not sure if because I was buying an off-road vehicle or some special something happened but I have several that were bought with no title and only a bill of sale. Their titles are in my safe with my name on them. Small town might play here. 

 

Edit: Bike was titled and registered in Missouri

off road vehicles is totally diff than road worthy ones, off road you do not need tags, insurance, where is on roads..you must have insurance, tags, taxes paid, all that crap..this is deff a road issue !..lol. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 minutes ago, shadetree said:

off road vehicles is totally diff than road worthy ones, off road you do not need tags, insurance, where is on roads..you must have insurance, tags, taxes paid, all that crap..this is deff a road issue !..lol. 

 

Well there ya go. 

 

You were technically correct! (The best kind of correct)

I don't think anyone is surprised. I will still update with my findings.

 

Not much for street stuff with the exception of scooters. Have owned a few and kept my motorcycle endorsement but have nothing currently. 

All my street stuff either came with title or was purchased new to the best of my memory.

 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

 

Well there ya go. 

 

You were technically correct! (The best kind of correct)

I don't think anyone is surprised. I will still update with my findings.

 

Not much for street stuff with the exception of scooters. Have owned a few and kept my motorcycle endorsement but have nothing currently. 

All my street stuff either came with title or was purchased new to the best of my memory.

 

Thanks for the clarification. 

the only reason i brought up the bonded title subject ?, is because i've been there..done that !..lol. its ok to get a title ?, but like i said...10-20-30 yrs from then..me, or whoever gets stopped, and come find out it was reported stolen way back when ?, i'm out my ride..or they are, then your screwed so to speak. i will never do it again..lol.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Found this awesome video from a Spyder legend shot at the BRP training facility...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...