Fishfiles

Fish

I have a 7'  heavy/fast Penn rod rated for 50# braid and 300 yds of 50# braid wrapped on a Shimano Sedona 8000.  The biggest snapped put the curve in that rod and pulled some line off that spool.  Got no sympathy from the wife after complaining about some right elbow pain the next day.

• Like 2

I looked at hundreds of snapper pics and couldn't find one of a real Vermillion snapper from Vermillion Bay , Louisiana ----   there are so many snappers , Lane , Mangroove , Mutton , Black ,  White , Red , Silver , Yellow ,  Vermillion , Cubera , Pacific 

What if you were to use some chunks of dead bait and target sharks off that pier , they will go into the shallows 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 5:12 AM, Fishfiles said:

What if you were to use some chunks of dead bait and target sharks off that pier , they will go into the shallows 

Sounds to me like you're a wishin' a royal butt kickin upon me.

I'm using cut bait on the pier and Gulf and had that already happen once.  Shimano 4000 with 30# braid on a 7' one piece medium heavy ugly stick.   Something took the stink bait and didn't look back.  It stopped short of packing up my beach cart and sending me back north.  My saving grace was it spit the circle hook just before stripping my reel.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2022 at 4:20 PM, 56Sierra said:

I have a 7'  heavy/fast Penn rod rated for 50# braid and 300 yds of 50# braid wrapped on a Shimano Sedona 8000.  The biggest snapped put the curve in that rod and pulled some line off that spool.  Got no sympathy from the wife after complaining about some right elbow pain the next day.

can ya still get braided line? i like the way it cast..

Edited by LedFTed

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

There are so many lines now days , SpiderWire was one of my favorites back in the day --- the problem I use to have was the line cuts the ceramic tip guides , and if you get a snag , then Lord Help You --- 

• Like 1

Sharks are ok to eat , if you ain't got nothing else , reminds me of Miss Paul's fish sticks , LOL ---- do you know they don't have urinary glands and pee thru their pores of their skin ----so ,   if you catch a shark , whatever you do , don't put shark in the same ice chest as your  good eating fish , like a speckled trout or snapper , as everything in the ice chest is going to taste and smell   sharky / pissy  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Dunno why but I was thinking last night about why is it called braided line.  The new stuff like Spider wire isn't anything like the braided line Grandpa had on his catfish winch.  And my first experience with Spider wire ropesawed my guides.

OldSchool braided lines , I fished many times with it , Grandpaw  and Dad both used it  , one way was on calcutta cane poles , the big ones , 16 ft long , caught many of sheephead with live crab for bait like that ...... 

I have a couple of poles that are set up with a type of braided line called lead core , it is old school stuff , it is a  sinking line used for trolling , the train trestles in Lake Pontchartrain is the spot for that , big speckled trout come from there using the lead core line method 

Another braided line thing to avoid , is trying to pull the line off a snag with you bare hand  , like a tree branch or underwater hazard , it will cut the crap out you ----

Anyone else here a backwinder?  After bringing the new Shimano 8000 reel home I found no switch to allow reverse winding.  Now that just stinks.  It's a feature I use when fishing in heavy cover.  Now that I don't have it I'm finding it's been used a lot more than letting that Bass back himself out of the brushpile.

Come to find out this switch is being phased out.  Probably just another freedom taken away from us.😬

• Haha 1

Nice catch ---- what's the size slot and limit over there ---- be careful --- do you have to tag that fish like in Texas ?  And I think Texas is one bull per season

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice catch ---- what's the size slot and limit over there ---- be careful --- do you have to tag that fish like in Texas ?  And I think Texas is one bull per season

I think there are three species that must be reported online.  Red Snapper, Triggerfish and Amberjack.  Red Drum are 16-26", 3 daily creel limit with one oversized fish allowed.   I released mine anyway.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I think there are three species that must be reported online.  Red Snapper, Triggerfish and Amberjack.  Red Drum are 16-26", 3 daily creel limit with one oversized fish allowed.   I released mine anyway.

Now that is a sportsman , catch and release ---- when they are big like that one,  they are not the best eating , if you must eat a biggie , the best thing to do with them is a red gravy couvillion in the oven ----this is the time of the year for big red fish for the St Joseph altar at the churches  

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Now that is a sportsman , catch and release ---- when they are big like that one,  they are not the best eating , if you must eat a biggie , the best thing to do with them is a red gravy couvillion in the oven ----this is the time of the year for big red fish for the St Joseph altar at the churches  

Don't know about a sportsman but you're right about them not being very good eating at that size and we have very little fridge space available.   We did bring a small dorm fridge but a man's got to keep his beer cold.🙂  There was the option of getting the wife out of bed to get the skillet ready for a late night fish fry for me and the boys.   On second thought that wasn't really a good option either.

Edited by 56Sierra
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, 56Sierra said:

Dunno why but I was thinking last night about why is it called braided line.  The new stuff like Spider wire isn't anything like the braided line Grandpa had on his catfish winch.  And my first experience with Spider wire ropesawed my guides.

i still got the spool or spiderwire line, i bought near 40 years ago. when it ate my guides, i put it up, i kept the spool of line, i like to save things. i still dont know why i saved that though.

Just a few days after I caught the Red there was a large fishkill at the mouth of Mobile Bay.  My fishin buddy, John took a walk out on the point of the peninsula and quickly counted 200 dead Bull Reds washed up on shore.  All large and with the exception of two Catfish, Red Drums.  Odd and equally sad.

• Sad 2

Caught in the Mississippi River  , new  Blue Catfish  record 131 pounds  -  Natchez Mississippi ---

really doesn't look that big , lol 

https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/2022/04/11/angler-hauls-in-fish-of-a-lifetime-from-mississippi-river-shattering-state-blue-catfish-record/?fbclid=IwAR3cnrd_c4zENMMdDvbNwGpKhY_bh_K60-Yu45AGhJEly7JhPbpQ0SzQLgUimage.png