Fishfiles

Accidents

33 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

I remember reading about this.  Ram like every other manufacturer advertises a payload number base on a very specific stripped model.  Ford actually got sued over this trick since they never sold or even built the model they used to calculate their advertised payload.

So, the dealers tell the buyers the truck will handle the weight based those numbers just to make the sale.  The camper dealers tell the new Ram owner the camper will work based on the dry weight of the unit to make the sale.  I think in this case the camper with nothing in it exceeded the truck as sold GVWR.  IIRC the center of gravity for the load was too far aft as well.  The owner starts off by loading the camper up full of stuff and then sticks a heavy electric bike on the back.

I ran into all this when I bought our Tundra and travel trailer.  When I head south for the winter I'm within a few pounds of having my Tundra at GVWR.  My CAT scale numbers showed by truck to be 40 pounds over so to come in under that I moved a 38# camp grill from the bed to the rear of the trailer which also reduced the tongue weight.

Read that sticker inside the door.

• Like 1

Looks like in the pic ,  he had way too much camper hanging  off the rear >>>>>>>   and he had two bikes on the back , one is on the ground already --- kind of looks like he took one bike off and was hoping  the truck straightened out 

My buddy had a Dodge 3500 that got into a wreck and bent the frame ,  they did not total the truck  and they changed the frame 

I used to have a Honda Element.  Max towing weight of 1,500#.  First trip to get river gravel in my 4x8 HF trailer I asked for 1,000#.  I was rather shocked when my weigh ticket showed 3,100# over my net.  Wife said it wasn't that far of a drive so off we went.  She had river gravel everywhere.

On 8/30/2023 at 7:17 AM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

A dodge ? I've seen stock frames bend in those super pull trucks ..... I'd guess he tried to pull someone or something while the camper was in back and all the wheels were on pavement ....or dodge has gone way down in quality... to wrangle the power of Cumminns.... I know when they first came out they were going through driveshafts like crazy....

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Can't imagine what happened here 

image.png

That is weird.  Looks like the front of the trailer is blown out.  Maybe he slammed on the brakes and had an unsecured load that went through the front of the trailer?

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That is weird.  Looks like the front of the trailer is blown out.  Maybe he slammed on the brakes and had an unsecured load that went through the front of the trailer?

Blown out might be the key observation , it looks like it was blown up or hit by lightning , looks like the roof is ripped  off the container and all the tires are flat 

image.png

4 minutes ago, PROV said:

Strange thing is that's the back of the trailer 

It looks like the front the trailer to me , that was a sleeper rig / long frame , those are the tractor tires not the trailer tires , I could see how it looks different ---- would think the unit on the front of the trailer  is a freezer or refrigerator , the fuel tank for it is under the trailer frame 

image.png

Yeah, your right. Looked like mudflaps in there but the jacks are on the front.

That's a refer trailer .... whatever happened looks to have got the side of the trailer fridge / freezer unit.... with the tires flat I'm going with a massive lightening strike..a friend of mine hung a power pole with a new johndeere self propelled boom sprayer....lines came down blew all four tires.... but that's all it did.. he was fine... but prob had to change cloths....afterwards...didn't do anything to the on board gps or computer system, or electrical system..

• Like 2

I always have heard this , but never experienced it ---personally I always shoot the grass in the ditch 

NEVER, EVER shoot grass into the road or street when you mow.
The motorcyclist you kill might be me ! It causes a very slick, ice like surface.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Id say it's very likely .... I had kinda the same thing happen, but I was the polluter.....I had come out of a place with a load of soy beans... well.. with all the frame flex / twisting ...crossing holes dips n wash outs....when I finally got to pavement... I started on my way.... had one wicked shoulder to cross going into a 3 way split... the back gate popped open on one side... I didn't know it or see beans falling out... made the turn... down the road... I kept seeing dust...thought it was the usual... dust kicked up by the wind off the semi...nope! pulled over to check... one side of the back gate (passenger side) popped loose.... I had layed a fair layer of dry (hard) beans down...i plugged the open wedge I thought being that close to edge.. nothing to worry bout..so I didn't call it in....pulled up to unload... heard the firetone go out over the radio.... a lady had rounded that 3 way curve .. hit the beans and slid always but wasn't hurt ...thankfully she called in, and rural fire came washed the road down..... I haven't told many people about that ordeal...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I always have heard this , but never experienced it ---personally I always shoot the grass in the ditch 

NEVER, EVER shoot grass into the road or street when you mow.
The motorcyclist you kill might be me ! It causes a very slick, ice like surface.

image.png

i've had multiple bike riders say that if grass makes you go down, you don't have the skill to be riding in the first place. 

According to them spills on grass are newbs freaking out and swerving trying to avoid the grass, and end up taking a spill.

I shoot the first round of grass into the street, because otherwise I end up making an ever deeper pile of grass with the discharge pointing inwards. 

But when I get through, I run the mower over the street to blow most of the clippings back in the yard.  If I don't get them all, and it bothers you, don't ride down my street.  LOL

• Like 2

Was a tragic day in our valley and area on Wednesday,  3 major incidents resulting in the loss of 4 lives. With all the influx of people coming from different areas, there are all sorts of different driving styles. There was a major accident on the I-90 running through the middle of the Gallatin Valley. 5 vehicles involved, 2 pretty much unrecognizable one gone on site 33 years old, the 2nd life flighted to Billings hospital 150 miles away, died 2 days later, 33 years old.  Another separate accident on one of the main arteries in the valley, another lady dead on site, 33 years old. 

Another accident involving two girls one 12, the other 13. They were in a SXS crossing a highway, evidently the 12 yr old was driving was crossing the highway and was drying struck broadside by a pickup. Both were thrown from the SXS, the 12 year old didn't make it. The 13 yr old turns out is my cousins, sons, daughter, so I guess my 2nd cousins daughter. She was flown to the same hospital in Billings and underwent reconstructive surgery on her left side of her face and eye as well as her left shoulder and arm. Not sure what her status is at this point. 

Another incident up the canyon towards Yellowstone Park, a guy that rents ATVs and SXSs rented a couple atv's to some bow hunters,  they killed a deer and contacted him and said they were going to be late with the return,  he went up to help them and found them looking at the kill getting eaten by a Grizzly. It was a small one and they were able to scare it off, unfortunately when they turned around the mother was there, the SXS rental guy got attacked. It bit him in the face, tore his jaw off, ripped his chest open and severed his right bicep. The other guys somehow  chased it off, they couldn't shoot in fear of hitting him so threw rocks and yelled. It finally left, they contacted emergency services and were with him to keep him conscious till the life flight arived. They flew him to Salt Lake in stable but critical condition.  Horrible. 

• Sad 2

YIKES!!! That sounds terrible. I'm not going to repeat these stories to my wife or she won't come back. She got scared enough on the Beartooth Pass. 😁

• Like 1

Guess this is an accident , couple  of my buddies were by the house this weekend , Saturday and Sunday , prepping for deer season , building some new boxes , weed eating , clearing shrubs , etc >>>> so he had his 1911 on his side , bad idea , cause  it is gone now , I went back there with him and looked for about an hour , we pulled cards out cameras and look at pics of him at the feeders and seen the gun gone  off his sode  between two spots , so we narrowed it down ,  we figure it is in a water rut and has been run over with atvs , I told him go buy a metal detector that has a water proof coil 

Bummer😕, when I bought my Glock40 10mm I got one if these holsters,  keeps it right on front.  That's a really too bad. 

Screenshot_20230918_055741_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Guess this is an accident , couple  of my buddies were by the house this weekend , Saturday and Sunday , prepping for deer season , building some new boxes , weed eating , clearing shrubs , etc >>>> so he had his 1911 on his side , bad idea , cause  it is gone now , I went back there with him and looked for about an hour , we pulled cards out cameras and look at pics of him at the feeders and seen the gun gone  off his sode  between two spots , so we narrowed it down ,  we figure it is in a water rut and has been run over with atvs , I told him go buy a metal detector that has a water proof coil 

Big magnet might be good to drag through there too. 

22 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Was a tragic day in our valley and area on Wednesday,  3 major incidents resulting in the loss of 4 lives. With all the influx of people coming from different areas, there are all sorts of different driving styles. There was a major accident on the I-90 running through the middle of the Gallatin Valley. 5 vehicles involved, 2 pretty much unrecognizable one gone on site 33 years old, the 2nd life flighted to Billings hospital 150 miles away, died 2 days later, 33 years old.  Another separate accident on one of the main arteries in the valley, another lady dead on site, 33 years old. 

Another accident involving two girls one 12, the other 13. They were in a SXS crossing a highway, evidently the 12 yr old was driving was crossing the highway and was drying struck broadside by a pickup. Both were thrown from the SXS, the 12 year old didn't make it. The 13 yr old turns out is my cousins, sons, daughter, so I guess my 2nd cousins daughter. She was flown to the same hospital in Billings and underwent reconstructive surgery on her left side of her face and eye as well as her left shoulder and arm. Not sure what her status is at this point. 

Another incident up the canyon towards Yellowstone Park, a guy that rents ATVs and SXSs rented a couple atv's to some bow hunters,  they killed a deer and contacted him and said they were going to be late with the return,  he went up to help them and found them looking at the kill getting eaten by a Grizzly. It was a small one and they were able to scare it off, unfortunately when they turned around the mother was there, the SXS rental guy got attacked. It bit him in the face, tore his jaw off, ripped his chest open and severed his right bicep. The other guys somehow  chased it off, they couldn't shoot in fear of hitting him so threw rocks and yelled. It finally left, they contacted emergency services and were with him to keep him conscious till the life flight arived. They flew him to Salt Lake in stable but critical condition.  Horrible. 

That's awful.  All of that in one area especially.