Jump to content
jeepwm69

Power steering......not a fan, but still needs to be fixed

Recommended Posts

Well, @basfnb (Bret) hasn't been around lately, but at least he registered here so I can make fun of him and hopefully he'll see it at some point.

 

Quite a while back he bought a 2013 420DCT for his wife.  Of course, he wanted power steering, because he's a 6' 5", 260lb wuss.

 

So then he puts his 5ish year old kid (who admittedly is big for his age) on the Rancher, who proceeds to drive 40mph around and around the house, until, of course, he hits a telephone pole with the right front wheel.

 

Kid was fine, because Bret has a stone head, and apparently it's hereditary.  The Rancher, not so much.

 

The machine will turn much sharper to the left than to the right now, and the right front wheel appears to angle in at the top.  Pretty sure the frame is bent, even though you can't really see anything bent.  I've learned from experience that the tweaked frames are hard to see until you strip the frame and set it on flat ground.

 

BUT, since that wreck, the PS light has stayed on.  I went up there this past weekend to hang out, and printed off the FSM and attempted to use the directions on 24-12 to reinitialize the torque sensor.

 

Since I didn't have the special tool (SCS connector, 070PZ-ZY30100) I used a paper clip to jump the brown/red wire to green, which gave me error codes of 23 and 22.  The problem is, as I read those directions, I should be able to do that jumper, turn the handlebars to the left, and turn the key on and the PS light should go out, at which time I get to do the "turn bars straight, wait 4 seconds, turn bar left, wait 4 seconds, etc" but the light never goes out, it just starts blinking the error codes. 

 

Am I not reading these directions right, or what?  I don't get it........  @toodeep you're probably had to do this more than anyone else here.  Any pointers?

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

LOL < Them reset directions reminds me of a song :  To the left , to the left , cotton candy sweet as gold let me see that toosie roll !!! Got to love Power Steering ---- I am going to post  a copy of that song in the music thread for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

To be honest, I tried a few times to clear codes and reset the power steering with just the jumper and had zero luck. I could have been missing a step or ??? but i plugged in the scanner and everything reset like it should have. Honda's power steering is a wonderful thing when it works, a 1990 code reading system when it doesn't. 

 

EPS or not the steering stops are the same. Something is tweaked and I would check the tie rods first, then A arms and then paint distress on the frame. Get it driving properly and then attempt the reset again (codes have to be clear with or without when doing the torque sensor setting).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks for the reply.  Have a pic or part number of that HDS tester that one can use to clear the code?  Local dealership here will be $150 to pull the thing off the trailer onto their lot, so he'd be better off buying the tool.

 

Something like this? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133376754663?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133376754663&targetid=1068323851390&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9026054&poi=&campaignid=11614424777&mkgroupid=118874170051&rlsatarget=pla-1068323851390&abcId=9300456&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1pyCBhCtARIsAHaY_5ffWnvMSnl0K74eFZWGWGTpElNIAVXK551oOIxSt1YAPH3Th-4qyrIaAiBMEALw_wcB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

well he was doing like 15mph...and it was the same dang pole he has been around a million times... literally about the ONLY thing to hit on 3 acres other than the house itself......hit it just right not to do any noticeable damage until you get on it.... he does have a freakishly hard head tho...like his old man.. 🤣 but any help would be appreciated... i can live with the tweeked frame...but the steering is terrible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 3/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Well, @basfnb (Bret) hasn't been around lately, but at least he registered here so I can make fun of him and hopefully he'll see it at some point.

 

Quite a while back he bought a 2013 420DCT for his wife.  Of course, he wanted power steering, because he's a 6' 5", 260lb wuss.

 

So then he puts his 5ish year old kid (who admittedly is big for his age) on the Rancher, who proceeds to drive 40mph around and around the house, until, of course, he hits a telephone pole with the right front wheel.

 

Kid was fine, because Bret has a stone head, and apparently it's hereditary.  The Rancher, not so much.

 

The machine will turn much sharper to the left than to the right now, and the right front wheel appears to angle in at the top.  Pretty sure the frame is bent, even though you can't really see anything bent.  I've learned from experience that the tweaked frames are hard to see until you strip the frame and set it on flat ground.

 

BUT, since that wreck, the PS light has stayed on.  I went up there this past weekend to hang out, and printed off the FSM and attempted to use the directions on 24-12 to reinitialize the torque sensor.

 

Since I didn't have the special tool (SCS connector, 070PZ-ZY30100) I used a paper clip to jump the brown/red wire to green, which gave me error codes of 23 and 22.  The problem is, as I read those directions, I should be able to do that jumper, turn the handlebars to the left, and turn the key on and the PS light should go out, at which time I get to do the "turn bars straight, wait 4 seconds, turn bar left, wait 4 seconds, etc" but the light never goes out, it just starts blinking the error codes. 

 

Am I not reading these directions right, or what?  I don't get it........  @toodeep you're probably had to do this more than anyone else here.  Any pointers?

 

 

 

 

i didnt get that for me dummie...i got that for the wife... i mean, i did ride it alot more when the EPS worked....and it was nice....soooo nice.... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yeah, but then you started in with the "oooh, that PS is so nice.  I want that on all my 4wheelers now.  I can't believe how great it is. blahblahblah"

 

Ya big weenie.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Have you checked the 40 amp fuse?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

i wasn't laughing at you @basfnb just the idea of you two, picking at each other just like i, and my close friends do :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Is this something like they call a bromanse between the guys....lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

wilson I deleted your post , considered it hate speech , no need to call people out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
17 hours ago, bcsman said:

Is this something like they call a bromanse between the guys....lol

 

If it is then I'm definitely the husband!

 

Basfnb and I grew up in the same small town together, ended up working together at the Ag Experiment Station in college years, and then our wives were friends so I actually met my wife when he started dating his wife.

 

When my girls and I moved back here, my younger daughter was whining about her sister being better at something.  I said "God gives everyone different talents.  Mr Barry (the buddy with the Rincon) is short, and God gave him a quick wit.  Mr Basfnb is big and strong.  Everyone is different and better at different things".   That kid was on the 4wheeler with Basfnb a few days later and turned around and looked at him and said "You're big and strong but you're stupid". 

 

For reference, this was on @basfnb's facebook page a week or so ago.  This was down in South Arkansas the first year I had my Foreman.  I'd drowned it out in the pond (luckily no water in the engine/airbox, just got water in the carb and it died, so exhaust filled up), so the wookie stood it up to drain the exhaust.  That's Barry in the background, waiting for someone to come pull him out, as usual.

 

 

star city.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 3/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, jeepwm69 said:

 

If it is then I'm definitely the husband!

 

Basfnb and I grew up in the same small town together, ended up working together at the Ag Experiment Station in college years, and then our wives were friends so I actually met my wife when he started dating his wife.

 

When my girls and I moved back here, my younger daughter was whining about her sister being better at something.  I said "God gives everyone different talents.  Mr Barry (the buddy with the Rincon) is short, and God gave him a quick wit.  Mr Basfnb is big and strong.  Everyone is different and better at different things".   That kid was on the 4wheeler with Basfnb a few days later and turned around and looked at him and said "You're big and strong but you're stupid". 

 

For reference, this was on @basfnb's facebook page a week or so ago.  This was down in South Arkansas the first year I had my Foreman.  I'd drowned it out in the pond (luckily no water in the engine/airbox, just got water in the carb and it died, so exhaust filled up), so the wookie stood it up to drain the exhaust.  That's Barry in the background, waiting for someone to come pull him out, as usual.

 

 

star city.jpg

i bet my a$$ couldnt pick one of those up now!!! lol

 

guess i need to locate that fuse box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 3/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i wasn't laughing at you @basfnb just the idea of you two, picking at each other just like i, and my close friends do 🙂

its okay... we all take a turn on the merri-go-round of being laughed at.... jeep has had his fair share as well..lol  

 

there are a group of 5 of us on a group text and my wife started reading some of them and told us that we are just plain out hateful to each other...lol... i said no, we think its funny.... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

hey me and my close friends are the same way, lol! too bad more people can't be so out going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, basfnb said:

i bet my a$$ couldnt pick one of those up now!!! lol

 

guess i need to locate that fuse box...

 

40 amps fuse red circle  --- behind battery

40 amp.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...