56Sierra

A few words about Medicare

Nov. 1st I go on Medicare.   Here's what I'm finding out.  A few months before turning 65 you'll get your Medicare card.  In that envelope will be a form to fill out and send back in if you don't want part B.  A is free, you have some money deducted from you SS or in my case Railroad Retirement check to pay for part B.  You must get B to get any other supplement plan.  Part D is drugs.  There are three plans available to me ranging from $7-25 / month.

Used to be plan F was the best supplement but isn't available anymore.   F covered all deductibles and Uncle Sam didn't like that.  Law says a plan you choose is going to be the same regardless of who you buy it from.  Except cost.

My advice is if you have a local insurance agent that isn't tied specifically to one company, go visit them.  That's what I did for my home, cars and now healh insurance.   Turns our if I use the same company for all three I get a good discount. 

My part G supplement plan costs me $110 a month.  Like all plans I have to pay a deductible of around $200-something a year.  Dr visits are 20 buck copay and ER costs 50.  All the normal stuff is covered at 100%.  80% if in a foreign country. 

Watch out for Advantage plans.  It sounds like to me they are a real bear to deal with and limit where you can go.   Like HMO's do.

I don't know how much my pension will be reduced but will find out Nov 1st and will report back.  Way I understood I'm currently paying for Medicare tax just like you working guys and gals but that will stop when I have to pay for plan B.

Again, go talk to a reputable insurance agent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A few corrections and additions.   2021 Part B deductible is $203.  Plan G covers the Part A deductible which is over $1,400.  No need to worry about in network or out of network.   If the provider accepts Medicare, they accept your medigap insurance.  Plain and simple.   I worked since I was 16 so it's about time to get a chance to suck the teet a while.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

only if the gov. forced plan was explained in common language.  i know i cant understand many things. reading the direction from the gov, is one.. the gov. is goofy, at best in explaining.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

A few corrections and additions.   2021 Part B deductible is $203.  Plan G covers the Part A deductible which is over $1,400.  No need to worry about in network or out of network.   If the provider accepts Medicare, they accept your medigap insurance.  Plain and simple.   I worked since I was 16 so it's about time to get a chance to suck the teet a while.

My wife has done a lot of research on the subject , she just got on it , need to trade notes with her ----     I am still a couple of years away ---- it sure seems very confusing and a head ache 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:55 AM, Fishfiles said:

My wife has done a lot of research on the subject , she just got on it , need to trade notes with her ----     I am still a couple of years away ---- it sure seems very confusing and a head ache 

learn it, before ya get sucked in by the gov. hype.. then tell me what ya found. Advantage Plan, i wish i had the words. i know the gov. is playing me.