Fishfiles

Landscape work

Wow the video did post. But only 6 seconds of it.  Missed the fall by a couple of seconds 

the video is 9 seconds and it seems to only show 6 seconds , how do I shorten the video to say 5  seconds ??

Yesterday I got started cleaning up that dead oak tree --- first tank of gas and the saw locked up , I was freaking , figured out that it was not the engine , the chain and sprocket jammed , the sprocket was torned up  along with the chain , got the clutch off , there must be a special tool , but I took the spark plug out and filled the cylinder with some nice new clean nylon rope that I had  , stuffed till I couldn't get any more in , then used a screwdriver and hammer to get it to turn , so , then went to the dealer and he had the sprocket , new bar and new chain , but there is a plastic piece behind the sprocket that was torn up , I thought it was a seal at first , then learned it  drives the oil pump , my buddy at the dealer told me , the purpose of the oil pump drive is so it only pumps oil when it is turning  , so it won't leak out oil  all over the floor or table , when the saw  is parked >>>> so I have to wait for at least Tuesday for that part ------- 

3v8NGjB1T1ej%ltr89xIvA.jpg

KHYSUJquQ0O+360DtSvxAg.jpg

q+9VsJdKQDac4YdC6UeEOA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10eb.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow! that WAS close..... what happened ? Did the hinge in the notch hold ? Or did it even get knotched ? N Looks like it split a Purdy good ways up, may have been from a lightening strike at one time or another....... That's one of the reasons i hate cutting them high enough to avoid the possibility of hitting grown in fence /wire.....

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Wow! that WAS close..... what happened ? Did the hinge in the notch hold ? Or did it even get knotched ? N Looks like it split a Purdy good ways up, may have been from a lightening strike at one time or another....... That's one of the reasons i hate cutting them high enough to avoid the possibility of hitting grown in fence /wire.....

I think the tree  was hit by lightning , it has a mark down the side of the bark , black spots thru the grains of wood , it is very hard to cut --- I just went out there and everything is wet , might not get much done today , about to call the Husqvarna dealer in Hammond , La , if they have the part I need , I am going to head that way and try and get my good saw going for the weekend 

• Like 1

I hear you..... Too cold n wet here to.... 45 for high today my ! ... ! I had planned on getting a few things done, but one of offices i need to get in touch with.. Put me on hold TWICE 15 minutes each time.... Lol, so... They made my choice for me... I don't ride around to blow money out the exhaust... Sigh... The other  good thing... The knee is much better... So not a total loss... Used to be just Monday ... Was the sketchy day... Now it's Monday n Friday .... Reminds me of that song by Georg Jones (it's finally Friday) 

• Like 1

I drove 45 minutes to Hammond and got the oil pump drive  , put the saw all back together , with new oil drive , new sprocket hub, drum and bearing , new bar and new chain , all OEM Husqvarna parts , cranked it up and went right for some medium size branched and it ain't cutting good at all , take a look at this wood , it looks petrified , crystalized , atomically fried , LOL , the lightning theory is something I would buy into ----what you'll think ---- this was an  oak tree 

It is going to be some hard times cleaning up this mess 

9DW+0D0CTAmL8GzVYvattQ.jpg

9q4jbk9LTvqZPHlhZugm2Q.jpg

6wBxUm7HQlaOgcxUOiZ+kA.jpg

qFGcl1GJSEGMFizPDdd8Zg.jpg

B+upaaxHT3aeEPPS8VIfCg.jpg

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever seen one that was that hard ..... And with a new chain... I wonder if @Macarena Man has ever seen anything like that, the closest i could compare to would be osage orange aka bodark.... Do y'all got any down yonder ? The fruit they put on are called hedge apples ...... Not even close to resembling an apple.... N i don't think there even eatable.... And the trees can plain eat up with thorns... Lol! And it's some hard ! Wood! I've almost blued chains cutting that species before..... Sigh.... 

• Like 2

If you can find them big enough.... Well check this out... Talk about a beautiful grain.... I don't how many people would think about the looks, i like them myself, but then again.... Strange as it is.... That species is my fave... And doesn't even produce an eatable fruit.... But  FAR the best firewood I've ever burned... But for firewood.... That tree makes you work for it ... Very very hard wood, thorny pertection, n if you cut one the stump produces oh! I'd say about 100 mourners ...... Lol! 

Edit: i think @Turbo Twister made a very nice table.. Prolly posted in the hobbies thread..... I don't recall much about species of wood..... 

I wouldn't have any idea what som of these pieces would go for, I'd say a good bit.... Mostly money people I'd imagine...... It's hard on saws...i would think it's just as hard on wood working tools/ machines,  i know this! You can easily burn up a chain..lol!... You recall when i talked to my fire chief... About going with a carbide tip chain ? If i new i could be positive not to hit metal soil, or rocks.. I'd have a carbide tipped chain just for that species... Talk about high $$$ for those type chains, but we could cut through just anything on a burning structure..... Mostly used for sawing vent openings (shingles, tin, nails, hidden wire etc etc) after that abuse scrap city..... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been chipping away at this hard butt tree , appears to have been hit by lightning and died , Retro gave me a suggestion and a  link to a carbide chain , tried to call them but yesterday was a holiday I'd guess for them as they never did answer the phone , called around yesterday locally and no one has one to fit my saw in stock , what I need is a .050 x >.325 x 72  ----  there is a choice on line , semi chisel and full chisel , which would be  better and why ?  --- 

I was hoping to get a lot of nice firewood out of this big stuff  , but , I think I am going to have to cut it long and have a barn fire 

check out them black marks , some branches have 1 , some 2 , some 4 , wonder if that is where the electricity went thru ? 

https://forestershop.com/forester-chainsaw-chain.html#query=c344&filter_bar-type.filter=carbide insert&items_per_page=48&sort_method=_score/desc&page=1

6wBxUm7HQlaOgcxUOiZ+kA.jpg

AB4CK2yETtuhefbPeUKqnw.jpg

NdS35C7LQ%+krIgIfbJWUw.jpg

kflJQYhbQmyY%NRxW%xcoQ.jpg

3QQUf3KERFetYK7SOHo82w.jpg

uMY4An5fS+Octih1mKB7Ag.jpg

• Like 1

Hm...... Good question..... Are Your talking about getting a full or semi carbide tip ? Or just a reg metal chain ? I can't really say... Being I've never used a carbide tip cutting plain wood.... But a full chisel is harder to sharpen... What I'm getting at is... It can take more  filing more metal wich equals a shorter life for a full verses a semi.... As for carbide tips .... You don't sharpen those.... When they go down scrap metal .. Least thats what we did.....and the cost of a carbide verses / non ..... Last i checked.... Well i didn't get one after i did some looking... But they never seem to dull .... The teeth just break..... In short I'd go with a semi..... Even if it's a carbide tip.... My full chisels work great in wet n dirty blow downs, but require more edging up..... So the samething taking the edge off of a metal chain can possibly  ruin a carbide tip in just the snap of a finger.... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hm...... Good question..... Are Your talking about getting a full or semi carbide tip ? Or just a reg metal chain ? I can't really say... Being I've never used a carbide tip cutting plain wood.... But a full chisel is harder to sharpen... What I'm getting at is... It can take more  filing more metal wich equals a shorter life for a full verses a semi.... As for carbide tips .... You don't sharpen those.... When they go down scrap metal .. Least thats what we did.....and the cost of a carbide verses / non ..... Last i checked.... Well i didn't get one after i did some looking... But they never seem to dull .... The teeth just break..... In short I'd go with a semi..... Even if it's a carbide tip.... My full chisels work great in wet n dirty blow downs, but require more edging up..... So the samething taking the edge off of a metal chain can possibly  ruin a carbide tip in just the snap of a finger.... 

Yes , the question is ; I am  going for a carbide chain , should i go semi  or full chisel ??? --- I have been told  the carbide chain can be sharpened with a diamond grinder 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Yes , the question is ; I am  going for a carbide chain , should i go semi  or full chisel ??? --- I have been told  the carbide chain can be sharpened with a diamond grinder 

go semi on the carbide, less kick back, and you will need a diamond blade to sharpen it. if you go full chisel ?, it will have more kick back, but put out more chips..either way..you can not go wrong.

• Like 3

Could be.... The chains we used on fire calls might be a completely deferent animal..(no dept gauges / rakers) .. Yes i agree semi. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Could be.... The chains we used on fire calls might be a completely deferent animal.... Yes i agree semi. 

My boy at my local Husqvarna store says the fireman of StTammany Parish where I live , use to buy carbide chains from him , but quit , they found if they hit a pipe or nail in the walls , then the chain was useless from that point on , where with a regular chain , it would dull out but still cut some 

• Like 1

Yeah...they still use them here some but someone got wise..... They still keep them on hand but are more likely to use reg chains.... Least tax payers got a small break..... 

31 minutes ago, shadetree said:

go semi on the carbide, less kick back, and you will need a diamond blade to sharpen it. if you go full chisel ?, it will have more kick back, but put out more chips..either way..you can not go wrong.

Being I take blood thinner , kick back with a carbide chain is a concern on my mind ,  important safety precaution , LOL ---- 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:10 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

Don't think I've ever seen one that was that hard ..... And with a new chain... I wonder if @Macarena Man has ever seen anything like that, the closest i could compare to would be osage orange aka bodark.... Do y'all got any down yonder ? The fruit they put on are called hedge apples ...... Not even close to resembling an apple.... N i don't think there even eatable.... And the trees can plain eat up with thorns... Lol! And it's some hard ! Wood! I've almost blued chains cutting that species before..... Sigh.... 

Monkey Balls...Brainfruit.  Said to keep spiders away in the basement. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you!! Tn is eat up with  Brown recluse spiders...... I can't say I've talk with one single person here ... That hasn't seen one in there home, or even been bitten.....I've been tagged by those little ! too....i must kinda immune ?? Cause i just a small sore... Seen some people with giant places rotted out on them.... I've heard it depends on how much body fat one has as to the severity of the bite location.... NOM! 

I think the brown recluse gets a bad rap sometimes , MRSI ( millicilin resistant staph infection ) gets blamed on the spider's bite  , the effects are close to the same from what I have read and seen >>>>  there is supposedly a cross breed spider around here now ,  a brown widow or maybe it is a black recluse ---- fun fact : if you see a web , the web is not from the brown recluse as they don't make webs , but they do eat spiders that make webs --- so revert to that old saying " when in doubt about spiders , kill them all and let God sort them out " , use the same saying for snakes 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think the brown recluse gets a bad rap sometimes

Very well could be...... I'd have to chalk it up to my own immune system.... As part of the reason it was no worse then an aggravating paper cut ......but.... I'd rather NOT play it again sam..... I see them very often in my shop... Dark corners.. Ect ect, but the defence is.... Wolf spiders will kill recluses....  those i don't mess with.... N spiders don't bother me...at all... Well....i bet you recall when this sucker caught me off guard.... Lol! That's a day i know I'll never forget.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Very well could be...... I'd have to chalk it up to my own immune system.... As part of the reason it was no worse then an aggravating paper cut ......but.... I'd rather NOT play it again sam..... I see them very often in my shop... Dark corners.. Ect ect, but the defence is.... Wolf spiders will kill recluses....  those i don't mess with.... N spiders don't bother me...at all... Well....i bet you recall when this sucker caught me off guard.... Lol! That's a day i know I'll never forget.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is no gauge of shotgun considered too large when it comes to blasting spiders.  I've gradually becone used to some species and know they are good to have but they still make me want to scream like a little school girl when I am surprised by them.

• Haha 2