Fishfiles

Landscape work

2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Moon!

I would say you must be  right , Moon 

image.png

A lesson in stain and seal

I had a gallon can of stain / sealer by MinWax that was  old , with just a little used out of it , so I started in painting the structure of this outhouse project  before putting the tin on , it was looking great , had just the roof rafters to go and down to less than a quart , noticed the color getting darker , then very darker , there was like sludge on the bottom of the can , I had stirred it , but not enough , so I had a gallon of mineral spirits and starting mixing some into the can and stirring , it thinned it out , but was much darker , so I tried finishing the job with it and it was very noticeable difference , made some drips here and there and when I tried to paint over them the color difference was messed up  , so I wound  up painting everything over again , and now it is very dark , kind of bummed out on the deal , it looked very good before --- but it is what it is ---- then to add insult to injury , it started raining right before I finished , don't know what effect the rain had --- no pics at the moment 

Moral : stir it well before you start

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

A lesson in stain and seal

I had a gallon can of stain / sealer by MinWax that was  old , with just a little used out of it , so I started in painting the structure of this outhouse project  before putting the tin on , it was looking great , had just the roof rafters to go and down to less than a quart , noticed the color getting darker , then very darker , there was like sludge on the bottom of the can , I had stirred it , but not enough , so I had a gallon of mineral spirits and starting mixing some into the can and stirring , it thinned it out , but was much darker , so I tried finishing the job with it and it was very noticeable difference , made some drips here and there and when I tried to paint over them the color difference was messed up  , so I wound  up painting everything over again , and now it is very dark , kind of bummed out on the deal , it looked very good before --- but it is what it is ---- then to add insult to injury , it started raining right before I finished , don't know what effect the rain had --- no pics at the moment 

Moral : stir it well before you start

yep..coulda warned you ahead of time. anytime any paint, stain, primer, whatever ?..has been sitting for a good while ?..shake the heck out if it ?, stir it to death ?, or have a paint store put it in thier paint shaker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

yep..coulda warned you ahead of time. anytime any paint, stain, primer, whatever ?..has been sitting for a good while ?..shake the heck out if it ?, stir it to death ?, or have a paint store put it in thier paint shaker.

Now you tell me  ----   And  I am good friends with the guy at the paint department at Home Depot >>>  LOL 

The rain didn't seem to hurt anything ---- it is really dark --- 

Notice the window , I cut the picture frame down about 1.5 inches and made it fit , the wife and I went to Hobby Lobby and found some picture with window of the tropical beach that were in  dimensions I could make work  , but they were horizontal pics , I need vertical

The wife says put a mirror in that frame ( I hate to say it but she has decorating skills )  , she also agreed with me that the toilet will work better and doesn't look bad on a 45 , I let my plumber friend talk me into going with code , I should have put it in the middle under the window , would have been more open , he says it would be easy to cut the floor on the beams , cut inches out the pipe and move it , but I ain't going that route --- what you think about the 45 

t4YQ7Z2iQ4CnqCUypCEdew.jpg

R%IEpvL2RPOYAQ5+aZUqag.jpg

• Like 1

Fish, like was said it's a outhouse don't worry yourself to death about it. I  wouldn't think any of your guest will worry about how it looks unless it's nasty and stinks from not cleaning. Keep it smelling good and clean and don't worry about it. I have no problem the way it looks from pictures you posting you doing a good job for a outhouse.

• Like 1

looks good to me !..if they don't like it ?. place a 5 gal bucket outside the door with a sign that reads '' use the bucket if you don't like it '' ?!..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/30/2023 at 7:33 AM, Fishfiles said:

The rain didn't seem to hurt anything ---- it is really dark --- 

Notice the window , I cut the picture frame down about 1.5 inches and made it fit , the wife and I went to Hobby Lobby and found some picture with window of the tropical beach that were in  dimensions I could make work  , but they were horizontal pics , I need vertical

The wife says put a mirror in that frame ( I hate to say it but she has decorating skills )  , she also agreed with me that the toilet will work better and doesn't look bad on a 45 , I let my plumber friend talk me into going with code , I should have put it in the middle under the window , would have been more open , he says it would be easy to cut the floor on the beams , cut inches out the pipe and move it , but I ain't going that route --- what you think about the 45 

t4YQ7Z2iQ4CnqCUypCEdew.jpg

R%IEpvL2RPOYAQ5+aZUqag.jpg

The 45 reminds me of the kick my wife has been on now for 2 years.  I swear if she could park the car in the garage on a 45, she'd do it.

• Haha 2

Experimenting with the piece on top the door , to have use a sheet as it is , would have made a big gap to caulk up  between the door frame and the metal siding , so second attempt I pieced together some cuttings using just  the small hump , still have the gap , 3rd attempt I filled it in with a flat piece of sheet metal 

Don't know how I was talked into painting the door that color 

16Sl603tQTmL%j8MyphwYg.jpg

CoYA+wRvSRmipFtRgCi5tg.jpg

YOVfwNU1TxWluGc8J25b5Q.jpg

HbwMnGA+T4Gs9qK3dk2vtA.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good!

When using metal siding it is similar to vinyl siding where you would use J trim around windows and doors or other openings for metal edge to nest in and hide the gap at top of door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

So that's what the inside of a she shed looks like.

You know , this all started with a simple urinal that I got off a demo job ,  was builtding the shed for it and it got " tranny'zized " ......  still got the urinal , you want it , LOL --- that toilet was $93 , not bad , we get some dirty girls pass thru here , going to have to run a speaker in the she shed----  LOL 

• Like 1

One of my buddys that does demo work , told me to sharpen my chainsaw chain backwards and it will cut hardwood better , not sure what he really means , anyone heard of this ? 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

One of my buddys that does demo work , told me to sharpen my chainsaw chain backwards and it will cut hardwood better , not sure what he really means , anyone heard of this ? 

Never heard of that.

I've never heard that, but i bet @Macarena Man might have some thoughts on it, I'm curious myself.....the only thing i can think of right now is he might be changing the tooth edge slightly ? I've tried that before couldn't tell any deference but I'm using the stihl multi file tool, i stopped free handing after i got that bad boy file.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've never heard that, but i bet @Macarena Man might have some thoughts on it, I'm curious myself.....the only thing i can think of right now is he might be changing the tooth edge slightly ? I've tried that before couldn't tell any deference but I'm using the stihl multi file tool, i stopped free handing after i got that bad boy file.

I took it as , pushing that file instead of pulling it  ---- I also  got one of them Stihl files as  per Retro's advice , greattool !

• Like 1

Started digging around the roots and lighting a fire with a carpet dryer fan blowing on it , got the stump down about 1/3 , but  I am about out of wood --- raining today ---- I think once I get a tunnel under the root , it is " Kaddy by the door " 

+dGemOWmTyyVfejIxPYM4g.jpg

u2egZfIkQee3ha2gyDjfzg.jpg

CqO11HDaR6KjQUVDAzKu0w.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty trick looking stump.... Is it in a place you might like it to stay, n ether make a carving or have someone do a carving ? That sharpening deal... Well in short I've heard older gents sy draw the blade (knife blade) ino the stone or strap .... While others say draw the blade away ... But the best I've ever saw was a gent who sharpened his blade on his aged leather work boot..... Go figure.... 

• Like 1

Just about gone.  Made a new tool to haul wood out the woods.  Comes off with 4 u-bolts 

AF510C57-B52D-49B7-8CFF-3B51F2FD7B31.jpeg

C830B26A-54B4-432F-BA23-39A5C15CB56D.jpeg

6A8C5FCA-8424-438C-A113-BAB05229278A.jpeg

B6349334-09D5-4F2F-B2BF-6613FCA57BE2.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally finished  getting rid of the tree hit by lightning , got the stump burned out and filled the hole with 9 loads dirt in my new to me wood horse 300 , it handled the load well 

Bd%fx+K7ReqqzWXPokeolA.jpg

XTcDOazRSNS8hrTBfEnDng.jpg

E2Y4ukA5TJukZ%Qn50ndiQ.jpg

RrjZe%2SSIW%viyDq4BfJQ.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

I've never heard that, but i bet @Macarena Man might have some thoughts on it, I'm curious myself......

Never heard of it either Wilson . . .

• Thanks 1