Snow Camo

SkullCandy 87 200sx

4 minutes ago, CaptCoolbreeze said:

You are a gentleman thank you.

DOH! Ofcourse.

you are welcome.

Used the piece of the factory grab bar I cut off and tacked it on the front bumper. Looks cool. Figured I'd get more practice welding. I should get my plexi in the mail soon. 

20230225_184722.jpg

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 1

Hardest part of welding for me is dialing in this welder. It's a cheapo $500 Forney stick welder. The recommended settings do not match the material welded. Burned a few holes here and there, but I also learned how to fill those holes in with the welding sticks.  Learning in progress makes us better. 🍻 

19 minutes ago, Snow Camo said:

Hardest part of welding for me is dialing in this welder. It's a cheapo $500 Forney stick welder. The recommended settings do not match the material welded. Burned a few holes here and there, but I also learned how to fill those holes in with the welding sticks.  Learning in progress makes us better. 🍻 

This your machine ? 

https://www.forneyind.com/forney-291-easy-weld-180-st-120-230v

The reason I ask is , what size and number rods do you have , I see that machine is a DC stick , you need a DC rod

• Like 1

Well i have 3/32 and 5/32 - 6013 and 6011 rods. I honestly haven't the slightest clue if they are for DC or not.  

I got this welder due to needing to weld stainless bolts on a big stainless humidifier tank at work.  Been practicing since.  I just got what ever the shop who sold me them had.  Maybe these aren't dc rods? Idk what brand the couple I have now are but the pic is what the shop I got the welder from sold me. Those are 1/16"

20230225_194651.jpg

BTW the ones in the pic were the worst as the weld would never only go to one piece of metal no matter the amp setting

Sounds like you need to figure out the best rod for what you are welding and the settings to match the rod -----    see how it says on your pack AC/DC (+/- ) , should be good either way ac or dc  , with DC you can reverse polarity ,  some machines have a switch to do this , others you swop the wires , looks like yours would swop the wires around , try that , swop the electrode lead with the ground lead and see if it welds better , I would suggest  practicing on some scraps ---  maybe watch a few videos on you tube , I bet the manufacturer might have some videos out there also 

• Thanks 1

Ok I thought swapping the leads would mess something up. I have watched a good bit of vids. They helped tremendously. The way it is now it's like I have to darn near max out the amps to weld anything. Them I have to move fast or burn holes.

I'll swap the leads and start from scratch.

Yeah man that was it! I can actually get it to arch and start a pool and go with a lot less amp. It actually works on the recommended settings now.

Still looks like crap, but more practice and I'll get that better.

Thanks Fish. Your awesome man!

I'll be up all night now lol

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 1

Something important to learn is the duty cycle , or you will burn the machine up an or it will not weld good cause it is getting too hot , note at 80 amp on 120v the duty cycle is just 30% , which means you can only weld for  3 minutes out of 10 minutes , the 7 other minutes , it needs to cool off , don't push it or you will likely burn it up , if you have not already ---

Here is the duty cycle for your machine 

Amperage Range: 10-90 amps for 120 volt; 10-180 amps for 230 volt

• Duty Cycle: 80 Amp at 30 percent for 120 volt; 180 Amp at 25 percent 230 volt

Here are the recommended rods for your machine

RECOMMENDED ELECTRODES (PERFORMANCE MAY VARY BY BRAND)

• E6010 and E6011: 3/32 in (2.38 millimeters) at 30-75 amps; 1/8 in (3.18 millimeters) at 35-120 amps; 5/32 in (3.97 millimeters) at 80-160 amps
  • E6013: 1/16 in (1.59 millimeters) at 20-50 amps, 3/32 in (2.38 millimeters) at 40-90 amps; 1/8 in in (3.18 millimeters) at 50-130 amps; 5/32 in (3.97 millimeters) at 90-180 amps
  • E7014: 3/32 in (2.38 millimeters) at 40-90 amps; 1/8 in (3.18 millimeters) at 60-130 amps; 5/32 in (3.97 millimeters) at 90-180 amps
  • E7018: 3/32 in (2.38 millimeters) at 50-100 amps; 1/8 in (3.18 millimeters) at 80-160 amps; 5/32 in (3.97 millimeters) at 90-180 amps
  • Thanks 1

Well it still does a good job when it welds. Now that You got me headed in the right direction I can cut time more then half and not spend soo much time trying to get it started. Man I really appreciate you pointing out the duty cycle. I would never of known.

• Like 1

On another note.  My plexi arrived. Totally not what I asked( reverse engraved vs printed black), but apparently they have sent another one out done correctly so I have two I guess.

20230225_211921.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

Well it still does a good job when it welds. Now that You got me headed in the right direction I can cut time more then half and not spend soo much time trying to get it started. Man I really appreciate you pointing out the duty cycle. I would never of known.

In the future , if you ever are welding along and the machine starts  splashing and spitting molten lava instead of laying down some smooth welds , it is most likely from exceeding the duty cycle , stop and let it cool down  -----  at low amp demands  the duty cycle can be up to 100 percent ----  you will learn your machine and what it is capable of 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

7018 welding rod ---- one drawback is material needs to be clean 

this is why i use mig ( wire ) with flux core, well..a few reasons, one..it welds dirty metal, two, it welds thin metal, third, it can weld in windy conditions, where is other types of welders and rods you can not do this.

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

this is why i use mig ( wire ) with flux core, well..a few reasons, one..it welds dirty metal, two, it welds thin metal, third, it can weld in windy conditions, where is other types of welders and rods you can not do this.

You need to tell that story to someone that don't know any better , LOL 

• Haha 1

I was going to ask whether he's welding with a ac, or dc stick welder..... I've used both, dc defenntly works better....especially on overhead welding .... But i see that's. what type he's using... 

• Thanks 1

You know the crazy thing is.  I went back to the shop I got the welder from and told them hey I can't weld with this thing. They were like stick welders don't make pretty nice looking wells welds. I was like really, then went and looked up vids and found that to not be true. 

Fish is the first person I met who actually got me headed in the right direction. Thanks dude

I have used the rental welder at home depot.  I was about to get the mig tig version of this one but that shop said I would need gas to weld stainless.

I'll keep Practicing on making it look better.  Getting the correct pool and penitration isn't hard now.