vicnation

Contact AKATV

On 5/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, [email protected] said:

I need the LCD screen replacement new or used, for 1998-2001 Honda 450s Atv foreman speedometer Cluster. everything else in my cluster is working except the screen. Please contact me  or e-mail if you have or know of a source?

took the liberty to remove your phone number, for your protection, please do not list your phone number out in the public forums/threads ?..thanks !.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:00 PM, AKATV said:

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I will get in touch with you in regards to your speedometer 

I highly advise you to edit this and remove your phone number on an open forum on the Internet

it just opens you up and makes you subject to all kinds of late night spam and weird calls, etc.

-AKATV 

took care of it..lol.

• Thanks 1

@AKATV I am a new member and am getting familiar with the platform. I made a post yesterday that I don’t see anymore so I apologize if this is a repost. I have a 2004 trx400fa. The backlight works but no lcd shows up. Is this reparable?

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3204.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the forum!
If you’d like to send it to me for a diagnosis, I can check it out for you. There’s no cost for that.

I can send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV

AKATV-  do you have the back plastic piece for the meter. It is the part that bolts to the ATV.  Crashed and broke that piece. It all works but the piece is broken.

I apologize I am new to forums. Not exactly sure how to use.

Thanks,

Sandy

image000001.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

Thaks for the response but I have found a unit and resolved the issue with the speedometer. 

I am still looking for the lower right mudgaurd which attaches to the foot peg and fender. 98-2004 is acceptable.

Posted (edited)

Hi AKATV

Would you please briefly describe how to reporogram odometer which lost the code?
I have 3 x TRX500FA 2001. In one of them odometer seem to lost the code.
It powers up but display doesn't show anything ( no water damage, already cleaned, pcb/lcd terminals and swapped between machines).

Is there any way to use i.e Jtag and read code from working odometer and save it to the faulty one?
I have access to flash programmer also.
Can you please briefly describe the procedure or point me to any url explaining it ?

Regards Chris

Edited by ChrisX

If you’re getting zero display, then it’s not just your EEPROM that needs to be reprogrammed as that only affects your mileage and your hours

It sounds like you might have a failed component on your board that is causing a power issue

For simple EEPROM programming there are many tutorials on YouTube, but I do not think that is your issue right now. It sounds more like your CPU is not powering up or is possibly corrupted?

-AKATV

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for guidance.
For troubleshooting -  does odometer need to be connected to ECU (powered via TRX wiring harness) in order to show anything on the display ? 

Will I get anything displayed on LCD ? when I just power it up on my bench using lab power supply (12V + current protection..etc) ?

Edited by ChrisX

Use the green wire on the harness for ground
Supply 12 V to the brown/black wire and it should power up

The red/black wire is your constant power to hold up your time

Some models require power to both to power up the CPU properly

You can also supply 12 V to the brown wire and that will illuminate your backlight

-AKATV

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bingo!
Found cold solder joint in CN1 connector

Green (G)  = GND
Black/Brown (Bl/Br) =12V+

mod1.jpg

I have a few more questions:

1. This salvage odo LCD has some sort of brownish color. Most likely this tan is due to Sun damaged polarizning filter.
Which filter to choose out of many available in Amazon ?

mod2.jpg

2. I have to adjust miles and hours to my orginal faulty TRX odmeter.
I'm assuming this data are stored inside IC2 (93c46) EEPROM.
Can I program this eeprom on board or it has to be desoldered from PCB for programming ?

mod3.jpg

Edited by ChrisX

The brown color is sun damaged your polarization films, which can be replaced the EEproms do not read and write properly soldered to the board, so it’s best to remove them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AKATV said:

The brown color is sun damaged your polarization films, which can be replaced ...

TY  !!!

Is there any specifc polarizing filter i have to look or any from Amazon will work  ?
How to remove polirizng filter w/o damaging the LCD? Please share any tips and tricks.

Edited by ChrisX

It really is a piece of work if you’ve never done it before as you really risk damaging the LCD there’s a thin contact edge on there that has a habit of breaking if you’re not familiar with doing this
-AKATV 

1 minute ago, AKATV said:

It really is a piece of work if you’ve never done it before as you really risk damaging the LCD there’s a thin contact edge on there that has a habit of breaking if you’re not familiar with doing this
-AKATV 

Do you use any heat or chemicals to remove the old filter ?

On 6/1/2024 at 12:51 PM, Beewatcher said:

AKATV-  do you have the back plastic piece for the meter. It is the part that bolts to the ATV.  Crashed and broke that piece. It all works but the piece is broken.

I apologize I am new to forums. Not exactly sure how to use.

Thanks,

Sandy

image000001.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

I was going to say I have one, but that looks like a 500FA Rubicon meter, and the one I have that is ruined is for a 350 Rancher.  @AKATV might have one from a parts meter, or you might contact @ChrisX might have parts since he said he has 3 meters.

The Rubicon meters aren't repaired as often as the 350 Ranchers and 450 Foreman, because they have that imprint on the screen that is removed when the meter screen is rebuilt.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:38 AM, AKATV said:

Use the green wire on the harness for ground
Supply 12 V to the brown/black wire and it should power up

The red/black wire is your constant power to hold up your time

Some models require power to both to power up the CPU properly

You can also supply 12 V to the brown wire and that will illuminate your backlight

-AKATV

Posted (edited)

Sharing progress of my project and experience gained:

Before:
mod4_before.jpg

After (new polarizing filter - cut to size from sheet orderd on Amazon)

mod5_after.jpg
Tools used: 
- guitar pick
- plastic pry bar ( from smartphone repair set)
- isopropyl alcohol

mod8.jpg

- guitar pick used to lift and separate the damaged filter,
- isopropyl use to soften filter glue and LCD cleanup 
- pry par used to scrape glue from LCD screen.

Note:

Filter glue is very sticky. Isopropyl alcohol did majority of job for me. It softened the glue but not disolved it entirely.
It helped me to separate the filter from the screen. It helped also to remove rest of the filter glue from the glass.
I had to gently scrape the glue (multiple times) using sharp edge of plastic pry bar.
Every time before scrapping I poured few drops of isopropyl alcohol. It really made all work easier for me.

Finally whet I started to see bare LCD glass, the layer of the glue become so thin, that I was able to remove it with wet alcohol cloth.

mod6.jpg
I did it first time so don't take my words as way of doing it.
Thanks God all worked fine for me !

Tons of thx to all good people helping me in this repair adventure 🙂
My next project step would be eeprom and mileage change.

Edited by ChrisX
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello I am also in need of repair to my Honda Rancher 350 screen. @AKATV 

Edited by Drumeez

Welcome to the forum Drumeez!

I have sent my contact information to your message box 

-AKATV

Posted (edited)

Success!

I was able to adjust my salvage odometer and learn a bit how it increments miles and hours.
So sharing below gained experience.

I highly recommend to see this article about ODO programing: https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Odometer-Reprogramming/

Here are my observations based on 2001 TRX500FA odometer IC2 (93c46) eeprom dump:

mod3.jpg

Eeeprom chip has beer desoldered from ODO main board and read on eprom programmer
with using SOP8 clip.

mod12.jpg

MILEAGE DATA:

mod9.jpg

- it looks like [Major ODO data] are stored close to the end of a dumped code 
   (offests:0x00000060 to 0x00000070).
- they are organized into 6 hex segments 8 bytes each.
- each segment has the same content.
- within a each segment first 4 bytes are [Major ODO data] next 4 bytes are their checksum in reversed HEX

example:

segment value [01 B7 FE 48]
01 B7 = [Major ODO data] 
FE 78 = checksum of 01 B7 in reversed hex (where: 0=F, 1=E, 2=D, 3=C, 4=B, 5=A, 6=9, 7=8   ...etc)

- [Major ODO data] after decimal conversion are very close to values displayed by odometer 
- Odometer Display 6946 miles
- hex [01 B7] = dec 439 x 16= 7024 miles

- each change of Major ODO data by 1hex incerments displayed mileage by 95 miles

example:

[00 01 FF FE] = ODO is going to display (95 miles) where [FF FE] is just a checksum of [00 01].
I didn't investigate how Minor ODO data are stored and how extracted from Major ODO data.
I was able to adjust very closely desired mileage by minipulating increments of 95 of Major ODO.

HOURS DATA:

mod10.jpg

- seem to be organized similar way like milegae data. 
- stored above mileage segments area (offests:0x00000040 to 0x00000050).
- they are organized into 6 hex segments 8 bytes each.
- each segment has the same content.
- within a each segment first 4 bytes are hours and next 4 bytes are their checksum in reversed HEX

example: 

Odometer Display 27238 hours
 hex [06 AA] = dec 1706 x 16= 27296 hours
 code segment [06 AA F9 5E] where F9 5E is just checksum of 06 AA in reversed hex.

- each change of Hours code data by 1hex incerments displayed hours counter by 9.5 hours
  [00 01 FF FE] = ODO is going to display (9.5 hours) where [FF FE] is just a checksum of [00 01].

Feel free to correct or add more info to my findings. Info about minor data extraction would be very intersting!

God bless to all good people helping me in this repair adventure 🙂

Edited by ChrisX
  • Like 1

I have a 2004 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 that I recently purchased. The speedometer does not show anything when the atv is on. I will post an attached picture. 

i looked all over to purchase one and they are nonexistent. Please let me know if you think this one is repairable. Thanks! 

BCC60B7F-EC3F-49C9-BE0A-E0886FD2F719.jpeg

With that broken out top cover I would remove the top cover and make sure you don’t have extensive water damage because that’s what I’m thinking right now

I will send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into repair or replacement as well

-AKATV

Can you repair my 2000 foreman 450 screen it is blank I can only see oil light neutral and reverse? 

Welcome to the
I might be able to help you out no problem. Sounds like you might have a power issue. It might be helpful to remove that top cover first and make sure you don’t have any water damage as I’ve been seeing that a lot lately.

I WILL SEND MY CONTACT INFORMATION TO YOUR MESSAGE BOX IF YOU’D LIKE TO LOOK INTO A REPAIR

-AKATV