usofthedog

1986 trx350 stator and magneto damage

Hello, just joined here the other day. I had to crack open the left side crankcase cover to address a bad one way starter bearing.  The more I look in there the more damage I'm finding. Couple teeth got knocked off the starter reduction gear which got in between the stator and magneto doing some damage. I'll try to post pictures.  Maybe some experts would chime in and let me know if they are still useable. The stator tests good for continuity.  I have used OEM parts on the way, but my garage space is going away before the parts will get here.  I'm wondering if I can put it all back together and get by until spring when it's much more pleasant to work on machinery out in the elements.  I'm in Nome Alaska and this is my snow pusher! Oh yeah also is there supposed to be a washer under the one way starter bearing? Mine does not have one, but I see it on the parts diagram.

16694069004466242577269949732107.jpg

16694069695482892600233196048743.jpg

I am not a 350D guy , I have bought a few to strip them of  their rear ends ---- 

But from reading , you need to be careful when replacing a stator and flywheel as some of the early ones were AC and later ones DC , I have always thought  that is why there were 350As and 350Ds -------  in 1986 I believe if was possible to see either or 

Thanks fish. The parts (supposedly pulled from same bike) I ordered are from a 350A and I think that's what mine is.  I thought the 350A was the trx and the 350D was the foreman, but I really don't know.  Is there also a 1986 350 fourtrax?  I'm really hoping I can get this thing going before I'm ousted from the garage!

17 minutes ago, usofthedog said:

Thanks fish. The parts (supposedly pulled from same bike) I ordered are from a 350A and I think that's what mine is.  I thought the 350A was the trx and the 350D was the foreman, but I really don't know.  Is there also a 1986 350 fourtrax?  I'm really hoping I can get this thing going before I'm ousted from the garage!

We got some 350 Gurus round here , let's see if we can rustle some up , @toodeep @shadetree @Goober @jeepwm69

I've used way worse ones and they worked fine. Put it together and as long as your have spark at the plug and the battery charges run it until it dies.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I've used way worse ones and they worked fine. Put it together and as long as your have spark at the plug and the battery charges run it until it dies.

Woop, thanks guys, think I'll give her a go, all I'll lose is possibly a $10 gasket for trying.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, usofthedog said:

86-87 350A Fourtrax

87 350D Foreman 

88-up 350D Foreman

Each has its own electrical system specific to those years/models. The 87 350 D obviously being the oddball

if you have an 86 then any 86 parts will work, and parts off of an 87 350A (not an 87 350D) will work.

Just keep in mind that a lot of people selling used parts don’t really have any idea what they have and think all of those are the same. I’m with Toodeep.  Put it back together and run it

• Like 2

Ok, thanks Jeep!  I got her mostly back together, just waiting on the starter reduction gear to get in to fire it up.  Its new OEM.  This one is very hard to kick start.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

86-87 350A Fourtrax

87 350D Foreman 

88-up 350D Foreman

Each has its own electrical system specific to those years/models. The 87 350 D obviously being the oddball

if you have an 86 then any 86 parts will work, and parts off of an 87 350A (not an 87 350D) will work.

Ok, great info.  So, the 350A Fourtrax and the TRX350A are the same? 

• Like 2

Yes. Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Check out several part differences.

For instance you will see starter gear applications for two TRX350A—the oval and teardrop shaped starter gear covers differentiate between early TRX350A and later. This was necessary to accommodate a longer starter shaft and bearing in the gear cover.

Edited by Goober

16 hours ago, usofthedog said:

Ok, thanks Jeep!  I got her mostly back together, just waiting on the starter reduction gear to get in to fire it up.  Its new OEM.  This one is very hard to kick start.

Is the de compression working ? 

On 11/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, Goober said:

Yes. Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Check out several part differences.

For instance you will see starter gear applications for two TRX350A—the oval and teardrop shaped starter gear covers differentiate between early TRX350A and later. This was necessary to accommodate a longer starter shaft and bearing in the gear cover.

Awesome info, thanks Goober!   

On 11/28/2022 at 3:50 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Is the de compression working ? 

No not working, I don't seem to have a decompression lever/cable at all.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the left and right side crank cover bolts?  I couldn't find anything in the service manual, just for some of the internals.

Torque values are listed on page 1-5 of the service manual. While I didn’t see the covers specifically listed—looked at the oil filter cover (6mm diameter flange bolt?). 6-9 foot pounds (72-108 inch pounds?). I have an inch pound torque wrench but not a typical tool.

i think it’s more important to tighten those bolts to the same torque rather than a specific torque. So—snug but not more than snug or you risk breaking them.

Edit also check page 1-7 for standard torque values. 5 ft lbs = 60 inch pounds should be sufficiently consistent unless you get a leak

F8533397-A727-4200-B0E9-4E436F4FC24E.jpeg

3F4B851E-8823-468E-806C-2CD391E4A3B9.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for the help here.  I appreciate it.  Ends up the original stator was toast.  I put her all back together and no spark.  Luckily I was able to reuse the gasket and had another stator/flywheel on hand, that worked.  She is back in action pushing snow again! woop!  Now just waiting on the decompression lever/cable to come in, so I can hopefully start when the battery dies.

• Like 3